Funny but Serious question

JasonM

Funny but Serious question

Post by JasonM » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:22 am

my 7mo old GSP has REALLY BAD gas. Im serious, that dog will clear a room of people. People come over to visit and its actually embarassing. Is it something that he is eating or is it a problem. He gets 6 cups (2 cups/3 t a day) of Purina Puppy Chow. He is not overweight nor is he skin and bones. He gets plenty of exercise and he eats mostly dry kibble. Once in a while he gets a soup(beef) bone.

Thanks.
Jason

Fowlplay

Post by Fowlplay » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:53 am

Jason, Puppy chow is not a high quality food. You might try Purina's Pro Plan puppy food. I think you'll be happy with the results. :D

Rick

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:07 am

6 cups per day is an awful lot of volume. i am not telling you to cut down on how much you feed him, but rather, switch to one of the premium foods, like Pro Plan or Euk. Your post did not say how much he weighs, but assuming about 55 lbs., you would be feeding him about half of the volume you are currently feeding him, if you were too switch. the result will be much smaller stools also. i bet his stool currently is pretty soft and runny.

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:45 am

Jason,
Do as John said start by feeding a better Quality food. Most puppy foods are fillers. They are loaded with Corn or Corn meal and that tends to run threw dogs especially young dogs when fed to much. You know what corn does to you , now think if you ate it every day for every meal. If he doesn't have firm/solid he isn't getting the proper nutritionv out of his food. I never feed a puppy food to any of my puppies or my young dogs. I feed a well balanced Adult food even to my puppies I just start feeding off the Dam.

Robert
Fieldmaster's Shorthairs
"Selective Breeding at it's Finest"

Selectively Breeding Outstanding
Dual Quality Shorthairs

http://www.fieldmastersshorthairs.com/

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:55 am

Just to add to what John and Robert have said, Pro Plan also has yogurt cultures that will aid in a more complete digestion by adding good bacteria to the dogs system, which should also help alleviate some of the gas. 6 cups is an awful lot of food per day.....
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:08 am

I am not going to dispute the above advise but will dispute the reasoning given. I too have raised pups using adult food with excellent results and see no problem in going that route and have normally recommended doing just that.

But to inform you that puppy food is just filler or Purina Puppy Food is a low quality feed is not true. Plus corn in the diet does not just pass through a dog any more than it does any other animal including people. That idea comes from the fact that you will see the skin of the soft kernel we eat show in our waste. Of course the starch and the oil in the kernal along with the protien is absorbed and is one of the best if not the very best source of carbs that we have and also one of the cheapest.

The so called high quality foods are very simular in many cases but the biggest difference is less fiber, which translates to less waste but not necessarily good for the dog, and a higher price that is somewhat offset by less feed being recommended. However, the fact is that most dogs in this country are fed the so called low quality feed and are well nurished as documented by research done by many companies as well as the USDA.

My pup that I have now I did feed Diamond Puppy Food to and she also had the same problem as her consumption increased till I gradually switched her to their adult food and have not noticed a problem since. However she has never gotten more than 3 cups a day and is still carrying more wieght than she really needs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:39 am

Diamond Large Breed Puppy or Premium Edge Large Breed Puppy, both made by Diamond but same thing.

I fed the prmeium Edge to my pup and he is an indoor dog, no gas problems and he grew wll.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:50 am

Rocco is between 55-60lbs He doesnt look overweight. The vet hasnt said anything about it but we do go this week for shots so I'll talk to him more. Thanks.
Jason

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:09 pm

ezzy has a point too, about feed composition. have had some dogs that just can't eat any old thing. have to switch them around and try different feeds until you find one that agrees with them. make the switches slowly, though, so you do not cause problems that way.