Fwd: 1940 bird dogs

Pineywoods

Fwd: 1940 bird dogs

Post by Pineywoods » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Check this out (sorry no sound)

(http://www.archive.org/details/BirdDogs1940)

rapid fire

Re: Fwd: 1940 bird dogs

Post by rapid fire » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:50 pm

I liked it. That trainer sure had a gentle hand w/ those setters.

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:14 pm

I posted this video a while back in hopes of identifying the handler. I thought it might have been Elias Vail. One or two responders confirmed that it was indeed Vail.
Vail was a popular east coast trainer specializing in several gun dog breeds. I think I remember where he had won some of the larger spaniel competitions with his cockers or springers.
I think you might be aable to find a book he's written on their triaining at some of the out of print book stores. I think the name of the book was Elias Vail Trains Gun Dogs or something simiar.

Bill

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:18 am

I agree. Whoever the trainer was, he had a very fine hand & manner with the dogs. Gentle, patient & understanding with the pup/s on a leash.
I really noticed how coaxing, methodical, patient, & above all very deliberate in his movements around the Spaniels in the retieveing.
Notice how gently he took the birds from the Spaniels. He was very understated in his hand motion throwing & taking bird from the Spaniels.
I would like to be half the trainer this one was. Very decent video for the day considering the camera size & general technology of the day.
I am thinking the Pheasants must have been pen raised birds. True wild Pheasants {I.M.O.} would be a lot harder to "film" sneaking around like that before a shot.
Enjoyed that.
Thanks for posting the LInk.

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:22 pm

That is a great video. Makes you take a step back and think about good old slow and deliberate training. Did you notice how the EP's of the day seem to have pointed with low tails. If you notice artwork from this era that style of point was the norm. It's worth noting how through breeding traits of dogs can be changed to today's high tail style.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:07 pm

My Dad , a friend and Brownie. Last hunt before going overseas in 1939.

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett