Need Kennel Ideas

brentonlwin

Need Kennel Ideas

Post by brentonlwin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building a house and I'm at the point where I need to start on a kennel. I was hoping I could get some ideas and pics of some of your kennels. My wife would prefer that I put in some type of septic or treatment tank to cut down on the smell. I've never done that before and was hoping that some of you may have a setup like that. I have three dogs and I hope that I won't have to kennel them much but would like to build it as if they were going to be spending a lot of time in there. I may breed one later on so I'm trying to keep that in mind as well.

Anyway, any suggestions or pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Need Kennel Ideas

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Brent, I too am in your position and would love to see/hear some feedback regarding kennel setup and septic. I found the picture below on a forum and really liked the simple layout.

Also "Drifter Saver" sent me a link to his kennel site (hope he doesn't mind me sharing) that shows a nice kennel...http://www.deadendkennels.com/kennelsandtraining.htm

brentonlwin

Post by brentonlwin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:04 pm

That looks nice. I wonder how it drains? Seems like it must have a drain since it is closed on on 3 sides.

Thanks for the info.

Brent

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:28 pm

You would hope there is some sort of ACO channel drain on the interior of the knee wall. It appears the roof downspout is terminating there.

Again, Mason is probably the best and one of the most expensive kennel systems and the amount of roofing over the runs will be dictated by your climate.

Radiant heat on the interior slab if you can afford it.

jl
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Brent...easy enough to pitch concrete from building to the end and have a 4"-6" trough (running parallel to the building) that pitches to one side, into a kennel septic system...

Here is a link to an article http://www.gundoghousedoor.com/articles ... kennel.htm Google "kennel septic system"

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Here's mine.

I fabbed all the panels myself, sent them out for hot dip galvanize. In floor radiant heat, sink, elevated tub.

The outdoor runs are 4'x12', the indoor area is 4'x4'. I really like the 4' soffit/overhang on the kennel side. Keeps the rain of the walk and allows you to washout in the rain without getting soaked. The septic is constructed like a home system. I found two 48" id concrete sewer pipes about 50" long, dug a couple of holes, dropped then in on end. Then poured a concrete floor in them, drilled/sawed the in/out holes for the 4" pvc pipe. They act as sediment collectors, we scoop the runs, and never wash solids into the septic. Then the drain field is 75' long. 24" wide trench 36" deep. 24" of rock, then the perforated drain-field tube, 12" of rock over, cover with silt fabric. The dirt/grass above.

I pump the tanks every November otherwise they freeze solid. Not enough use, and not enough heat generated to keep them from freezing.

Dan

brentonlwin

Post by brentonlwin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Cool...nice kennel Wyndancer.

I live in northern Louisiana where our winters are mild. It rarely gets below freezing...only at night for a few weeks then its over. I'm not too worried about freeze ups or heating the pad...as long as they have a warm hole to get into they'll be fine. I may run a heater out to the indoor part during the cold part of the winter.

I'm mainly concerned with the sewage and how to go about the drainage and all. The trash can deal looks pretty good PntrRookie...I may try that one.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:30 am

Wyndancer wrote:Here's mine.

I fabbed all the panels myself, sent them out for hot dip galvanize. In floor radiant heat, sink, elevated tub.

The outdoor runs are 4'x12', the indoor area is 4'x4'. I really like the 4' soffit/overhang on the kennel side. Keeps the rain of the walk and allows you to washout in the rain without getting soaked. The septic is constructed like a home system. I found two 48" id concrete sewer pipes about 50" long, dug a couple of holes, dropped then in on end. Then poured a concrete floor in them, drilled/sawed the in/out holes for the 4" pvc pipe. They act as sediment collectors, we scoop the runs, and never wash solids into the septic. Then the drain field is 75' long. 24" wide trench 36" deep. 24" of rock, then the perforated drain-field tube, 12" of rock over, cover with silt fabric. The dirt/grass above.

I pump the tanks every November otherwise they freeze solid. Not enough use, and not enough heat generated to keep them from freezing.

Great Kennel. Any chance you have more pictures of the exterior and interior. I would love to build something similar.

-Hondo

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:47 am

Rookie posted a picture of my old kennel. I am in the process of building a new one as our first kennel is not big enough. Word of advice build it twice the size you think you will need. If you are like me you will have more dogs than kennel space. Here is our new one it is just like our old one but has infloor heat.
Birddog 307

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:04 am

These are some really nice kennels! It did get me to thinking though about how folks piss and moan about the price of a pup but then put them in palace's like these. Dont get me wrong, I spent a chunk on my set up also so I am not criticizing folks for that. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

brentonlwin

Post by brentonlwin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:37 am

Very nice Birddog...I was wondering how your drainage was set up on that new pen. Are you just spraying to one side? That is what I've done so far but I'm trying to do a gutter/drain of some sort this time.

Yeah...I keep telling myself to build it bigger but I've all ready spent so much on the new house that I'm having trouble coughing up more dough. I know I will regret it if I don't go bigger though.

I'd love to see some more pics if anyone else would like to share. The more ideas the better.

Brent

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:48 am

That's the way to go, Birddog. I noticed you used the heavy duty doors from GunDogHouseDoor Company. That's exactly what I did.

Also, I built 6 runs while only having 3 dogs (only had 2 when I started), so I understand building twice of what you need. My interior 3x5 "crates" and exterior 5x12 runs are all made of home-fab 1" square steel and 6 ga. welded wire 2"x4" horse panels. Thanks to my family helping with the fabrication, that stuff is built like a tank. The outdoor runs just got finished and are being painted today. Hopefully they'll be installed by week's end. When they are, I'll clean the place up and take some pics to post.

p.s. You're going to love the in-floor heat... maybe even as much as your dogs, but I doubt it.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:14 am

topher40 wrote:These are some really nice kennels! It did get me to thinking though about how folks piss and moan about the price of a pup but then put them in palace's like these. Dont get me wrong, I spent a chunk on my set up also so I am not criticizing folks for that. :wink:
I really think that people have facilities like these rarely if ever '"piss and moan" about the price of a pup.
Dan

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:21 am

Wyndancer wrote:
topher40 wrote:These are some really nice kennels! It did get me to thinking though about how folks piss and moan about the price of a pup but then put them in palace's like these. Dont get me wrong, I spent a chunk on my set up also so I am not criticizing folks for that. :wink:
I really think that people have facilities like these rarely if ever '"piss and moan" about the price of a pup.
naw, but ask'em to pay for Frontline and Heartgard and they really start complaining, then!! :wink: :wink: :)

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Usually guys like this dont worry about the price of the pup, although how much money does the average joe spend on housing? Kennels, Meds, Regular check ups, OFA, eyes, stud fees, the most expensive feeds, out of state hunting trips, pro trainers, etc? Average Joes tend to spend more per pup on the above listed things and dont bat an eye until it comes to paying 500-1000 bucks for a puppy! :evil:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Those are some super kennels. Very Nice !

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Our small 4 run kennel is located in an urban area. The drain pictured is connected to the city's public sewer system. Wash down twice a day and never any odor. The only negative I have found is the fact that we can't use any type bedding in the dog houses. It will clog the 4" sewer outfall line. It's not a problem here in Alabama and shouldn't be where you live. We use insulated dog houses with thick rubber mats.

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:49 am

On the inside of the our new kennel I have 5 infloor drains like the big ones that are in walk in showers. What I did when I was doing the concrete work was slope the concrete toward the drains. I built a screed board with a curve in it and it work pretty slick. My dogs get let out all the time and are very clean when in the kennel. Solids are really never an issue and urine either for that matter. I am going to have a chainlink fence between the two kennels behind my shop where the dogs will be able to be let out and run. I am using the Mason kennles on the outside and having the chain link build the ones on the inside. I decided to go with dog cots as I can never keep pads the dogs just tear them up. So far the cots seem ideal. I am hoping these dog doors will work out. The ones on the old kennel are the ones on the k9 kondo and have not been working out. Yes I have spent alot of money on the dogs that can never made back by selling a few pups now and then. This kennel is costing me alot and I have done almost everything myself. I am retired and live pretty modest. Where some people have boats and fancy cars and go on fancy trips I have dogs. I try to do my best to take care of them. When it comes to buying pups I believe buy the best bloodline that has the characteristics of what you want in a dog. Some pups do cost alot but that is the least amount that dog cost you in the long run,
Birddog 307

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:50 am

On the inside of the our new kennel I have 5 infloor drains like the big ones that are in walk in showers. What I did when I was doing the concrete work was slope the concrete toward the drains. I built a screed board with a curve in it and it work pretty slick. My dogs get let out all the time and are very clean when in the kennel. Solids are really never an issue and urine either for that matter. I am going to have a chainlink fence between the two kennels behind my shop where the dogs will be able to be let out and run. I am using the Mason kennles on the outside and having the chain link build the ones on the inside. I decided to go with dog cots as I can never keep pads the dogs just tear them up. So far the cots seem ideal. I am hoping these dog doors will work out. The ones on the old kennel are the ones on the k9 kondo and have not been working out. Yes I have spent alot of money on the dogs that can never made back by selling a few pups now and then. This kennel is costing me alot and I have done almost everything myself. I am retired and live pretty modest. Where some people have boats and fancy cars and go on fancy trips I have dogs. I try to do my best to take care of them. When it comes to buying pups I believe buy the best bloodline that has the characteristics of what you want in a dog. Some pups do cost alot but that is the least amount that dog cost you in the long run,
Birddog 307

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

topher40 wrote:Usually guys like this dont worry about the price of the pup, although how much money does the average joe spend on housing? Kennels, Meds, Regular check ups, OFA, eyes, stud fees, the most expensive feeds, out of state hunting trips, pro trainers, etc? Average Joes tend to spend more per pup on the above listed things and dont bat an eye until it comes to paying 500-1000 bucks for a puppy! :evil:
Are you trying to say that we should be happy to pay more for a car if we have a nice expensive garage? I have never understood this arguement that because everything else cost a lot we shouldn't worry about the price of a pup. I'm just the opposite. There is only so much money to spend and the more I have to spend on food and housing then the less I have for a pup.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 am

Ezzy-
What I am saying is that people spare no expense when it comes to their animals. How many times have folks on here posted in the "Health and Nutrition" section talking about how they just spent 6K on an ACL repair? This is mostly directed to the people that usually have only 1-2 dogs that treat them better than a human. Spending absurd amounts on healthcare, feed, dog boxes, pet insurance, EVEN burials and cremations! I have known a few of these folks that live to make their animals happy even "bleep" the financial burden to their own family. I know one person that even tried to commit suicide when his dog died (and it was a direct result of his own stupidity). These people usually have issues with the price of the dog, not the guy that usually owns 4 or more dogs. I hope I made sense of my argument.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine