Will my pigeons come back?

highcaliber

Will my pigeons come back?

Post by highcaliber » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Ok we just got homing pigeons this spring/summer. They have been in their coop for about 90 days, we really want to start using them to train our dogs. We just ordered the return door and are going to put it on so we can start flying them and trianing with them. Has it been long enough for them to know where there home is and come back to it and fly in thier little door? Im a girl and ALL the critters are my pets so I don't want to loose any, not to mention the hassle of caring for them for the last 90 days only to have them fly away forever. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to help ensure we get our birds back? Know there are the normal risks likes hawks and things but, will they figure out the door? Do I have to show them how it works (I would appreciate if any joksters don't suggest that I crawl thru it to 'show them' LOL!) Any tips with feeding or withholding food? Do we really just put them in the launchers, release them, and meet them back at the coop? Thanks!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Will my pigeons come back?

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:31 pm

answer is maybe. Their young when they have chicks will definitely home.

You might just want to experiment with one to begin with, they may try and fly back to where you got them if that's not too awful far.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:54 pm

If they were young birds when you got them, they will come back. If they were older birds, who knows. YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE BIRDS. I know that sounds harsh, but you will lose birds. I have good birds and I tossed them from 8 miles out this week and 3 didn't make it home. I've launched them out back only to have a hawk get them. I've released trained birds and for one reason or another, sometimes they just don't come back. For best results, place them in a cage and put it against the trap door. Feed them and let them go through the trap door. If they don't go through, just shew them through. Do this for about a week and you will be good to go. Feed lightly the day before you release them and don't feed them till' they are out and flying. When they get home, they will find the food and figure out pretty quick that they get fed after they fly. At least for the first week, don't make them fly. If they want to fly, let them, but don't make them. After a week or two, you can start making them fly. Let them fly a few weeks on their own before starting to use them in the launcher.

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 pm

I have always had good luck by feeding right before dark, that way when you release them they will home before dark to get food. Take the birds and "push" them through the door a few times and then set them on the ledge and they should walk right in. I have had feral pigeons return to the coop after about 60 days, but don't let them all out at once, just a few at a time.

Rut