Pic of my girls in North Dakota...

jhoughton

Pic of my girls in North Dakota...

Post by jhoughton » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:47 am

Got this from Ray Dohse yesterday of my pointers Genie and Bitty. It appears they are liking the wild birds...

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Pic of my girls in North Dakota...

Post by BigShooter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Nice pics of the girls. Summer training in ND on wild birds is hard to beat.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:22 pm

Just out of curiousity, does it not get hot in ND in the summers like it does here in western Oklahoma? Today it is around 95 and for most of the summer it has been between 102 and 105 every day. I will probably never have the money to send my dogs to summer camp up there but I am just asking to satisfy my own curiousity.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:24 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Just out of curiousity, does it not get hot in ND in the summers like it does here in western Oklahoma? Today it is around 95 and for most of the summer it has been between 102 and 105 every day. I will probably never have the money to send my dogs to summer camp up there but I am just asking to satisfy my own curiousity.

its 68 degrees in Bismark today

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Just out of curiousity, does it not get hot in ND in the summers like it does here in western Oklahoma? Today it is around 95 and for most of the summer it has been between 102 and 105 every day. I will probably never have the money to send my dogs to summer camp up there but I am just asking to satisfy my own curiousity.
The temp drops pretty low (as low as the 40's) every night in the northern most parts of north dakota. This week has had highs in the 70's all week. On the hottest days up there, you can still run dogs in the morning and evening and those days a few and far between. Down here in Georgia, we get about an hour or two in the morning and it gets too hot and humid. I can tell when it gets hot in the afternoon in North Dakota...it is the only time I hear from Ray when he is out there. Those guys work morning til night when they are out there...it is crazy how hard they work to get ready for the fall trials.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Very nice!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Summer weather on the prairies in ND varies just like everywhere else. During about the hottest three weeks of summer temps usually peak between 80-85 degrees. It's during this period that it may only cool to the low 70s at night. Although there can be a few days of 90 degree temps it's unusual and certainly doesn't go on for weeks at a time. This summer saw a lot of rain so there was high humidity. It was also a warm summer. The pro my boys are with was miserable with the heat for a couple of weeks. Often the camps these pros set up are pretty basic. Most of them can't head to an air conditioned house at night and have to settle for running a generator and trying to cool down their fifth wheel. Good luck with that. When it gets too hot the pros find an excuse to head to town one day (riding in their air conditioned truck) "for supplies" or to make phone calls and head to a bar or restaurant to beat the heat for a bit. The last few days have been very cool. Although the dogs are outside they get plenty of water and are usually set up in the shade. Normally there is some breeze each day.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:01 pm

It's a balmy 98 as I sit here right now. Just got back from taking a dog over to the vet this afternoon. Went out to check on the dogs in the backyard as I do everyday several times a day and my 9 year old setter's face was all swollen up, got her to the vet and found out it was a rattler bite so she got a shot and some antibiotics and and a reasonable $66 later we are at home. I will post some pics of her bite in another topic but I sure wish I were in ND right now. Not just for the cool weather but for the lack of snakes that the cool weather brings.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:27 pm

tommyboy72 wrote: Not just for the cool weather but for the lack of snakes that the cool weather brings.
There are snakes in the western badlands but I've never heard of poisonous snakes in the areas where the trainers work. Good luck with your dog.

It's 74 degrees in Bismarck, ND today but the forecast is for 93 tomorrow, 91 Sat. & 98 on Sun. then back to the mid 70s to low 80s. This will likely be the last hurrah for any days in the 90s this year and it's cooling down pretty fast after sunset now.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm getting ready to take my dogs out in a few minutes. It is in the low 50s every morning. ND weather is awesome until winter. By the way, every brood I see is 6-8 chics. It is RIDICULOUS! They are all around the size of a mature Hungarian partridge. There are more ducks this year than in a long time also. :lol: God bless ND!
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Just got back. 8 points in 1 hr. 3 of the 8 were entire broods of 7-9 birds. When the crops come down, watch out! I had no idea pheasants liked flax so much. Every bird was next to flax.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Great picture and great information. I've got one up there with a trainer as well. Hope to be able to post pictures soon...

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Hellyaah there's snakes! It's the freakin' prairie!! That's where they live!! :lol: :lol:

But birds do live there so wuddya do...?

Is Ray runnin' 'em in any championships up there? He's right smack in the middle of a bunch of 'em.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 pm

DGFavor wrote:Hellyaah there's snakes! It's the freakin' prairie!! That's where they live!!
Listen to Doug and don't come to ND & hunt east of the Missouri river where most of the pros camp out ... way too many poisonous snakes! :lol: :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 am

DGFavor wrote:Hellyaah there's snakes! It's the freakin' prairie!! That's where they live!! :lol: :lol:

Is Ray runnin' 'em in any championships up there? He's right smack in the middle of a bunch of 'em.
I am not sure if he is going to run any. They and the rest of the pointers and setters he has are all real young. I can't wait until he gets back though. I am really looking forward to running them this fall.

bpainter

Post by bpainter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:25 pm

Looking good! I wish I could go to that summer school.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 pm

I ran my young DD today again. We covered a piece of ground that was next to a freshly harvested wheat field. It was incredible. My dog pointed 30 plus birds in 2 hours. I saw at least 200 pheasants and 20 sharpies and huns. Life is good.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:58 am

The general thing that I've heard about rattlers in ND is as Mark says...it's west of the river that you have to worry.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Ray will hit the NGSPA Greater Prairie Chicken in NE, then head over to a Branched Oaks for a GSP trial, then to a couple pointer trials in CO., then head to Eureka KS for the GSPCA Nats.

I'm heading up there next Monday. We have had 28 days over 100 degrees so far in the Fort Worth, TX area. The low is only 80 degrees at night. It has been 92 degrees at the 10 o'clock news for the past week. :x
I'm taking my trial coat to be ready for those 39 degree mornings. I can't wait. Will be there for 2 weeks. Plan to put the miles on the horses. Hope the birds cooperate. :lol:
Scott
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:26 am

hi-tailyn wrote:Ray will hit the NGSPA Greater Prairie Chicken in NE, then head over to a Branched Oaks for a GSP trial, then to a couple pointer trials in CO., then head to Eureka KS for the GSPCA Nats.

I'm heading up there next Monday. We have had 28 days over 100 degrees so far in the Fort Worth, TX area. The low is only 80 degrees at night. It has been 92 degrees at the 10 o'clock news for the past week. :x
I'm taking my trial coat to be ready for those 39 degree mornings. I can't wait. Will be there for 2 weeks. Plan to put the miles on the horses. Hope the birds cooperate. :lol:
Scott
Have fun out there Scott...I think Ray has changed his mind 20 times this summer on what trials he is going to so hopefully he has it figured out now. I won't be heading west until the end of September...to get the season going early. I just can't wait until the end of October.