Hudson Valley Brittany Club Trial 9/4-5 in Oxford, NY ??

GrayDawg

Hudson Valley Brittany Club Trial 9/4-5 in Oxford, NY ??

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:05 am

Anyone going to the HVBC trial at Lost Post in Oxford, NY next weekend (Sept. 4th & 5th) ??

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

GrayDawg

Re: Hudson Valley Brittany Club Trial 9/4-5 in Oxford, NY ??

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Well- I know there are a couple "lurkers" on here who were at the trial this past weekend.
I just wanted to say it was nice to meet you Mel, Tony, Bill & Ron.

For any of you near the Hudson Valley New York area who have never been to the Lost Pond
field trial area in Oxford........... all I can say is that the grounds were phenomenal- beautifully maintained
is a vast understatement.

The folks from the Hudson Valley Brittany Club were all real nice people. There were people from as far away
as South Carolina who came up to run their dogs on this property with the HVBC. A very well run trial
and the weather (heat) broke late Friday night once the front moved through. It was 54 degrees at 6:30 Saturday
morning and the rest of the weekend was pretty nice albeit for the brief shower that blew through on Saturday afternoon
for about 40 minutes or so. But the heat was gone, and that is what everyone was worried about.

A very good caliber of dogs at this trial as well. Two or three pros were there with their strings as well as a bunch of top
notch amateurs with their "A" team bringin' their game.

Katy ran real nice on Saturday in the OD, paired with a fiery Brit- they both broke away hard and out of sight (I think that
got everyone's attention). Katy stayed on the course with a couple nice moves around 10 minutes & again at 20. Then she got
hung up on some old scent which seemed to get her a little squirrely on me. We got that straightened out and she finished to
the front........... but- with NO finds! :cry:

Sunday in the AWD, she had payback on her mind. She was again braced with another Brit (a real nice lookin' & hard hunting dog)
and they broke away hard. Katy handled great, used the wind, hit the huntable objecticves and finished with 3 finds, two really
hard points & one of them after the judge allowed me to relocate her as the bird began to run after it had been pinned and I was attempting to produce it. Oh yeah- Katy also finished with a blue ribbon! :D

I'll be going back there next fall for sure- Katy really showed well on those grounds.

Rob
Last edited by GrayDawg on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Congrats Rob: Sounds like you are having a ball and hitting the trials hard.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Rob-

Well done! A relo on a running bird is alwasy a very risky call. Your faith in your dog shows through on choices like that. When the gamble pays off the reward is very often there.

Keep it up you two!

RayG

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Rick/Ray,
First trial of the season for us- I figured if I was going to drive 5 hours, I was going to run in both Derby stakes. :wink:

We've been training hard all summer, so I think Katy may have an advantadge over some dogs who weren't being
conditioned as religiously through the all the heat we've had over the last 3 months.

She ran much bigger in the Open on Saturday- I just love handling this little gyp off of horseback. It just wasn't
in the cards for us though- as the brace before us was halfway out, the front I mentioned came through real quick and
soaked everything down pretty well. I think it took alot of the scent with it. As a result- by the time Katy ran, everything
was freshly soaked & there wasn't alot of scent to get the dog's attention and pull them into "birdy" areas. They just kept
running to the objectives until they were through the course. Oh well- win some, lose some. It was great to see Katy move
that well off of horseback for me. Sunday made up for Saturday's dissapointment- that's for sure!

We'll be trialing hard this fall, with a trip up to Grant's at Kenabago Lake in Maine for Woodcock/Grouse Oct. 13th - 16th
sprinkled in for good measure.

The trials I hope we'll be going to this fall will be:

- CNEBC @ Flaherty, 9/19
- HVGSPC @ Flaherty, 9/26
- ENEBC @ Crane's (MA), 10/3
- SNEBC @ Flaherty, 10/8 & 10/10
- PANE @ Flaherty, 10/29 & 10/31
- NGSPA Pheasant Championships (Open Derby) @ Wye Island, MD 11/5
- NGSPC @ Flaherty, 11/12 & 11/14

It's now time to see if this summer's hard work will pay off!

Rob
Last edited by GrayDawg on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:58 am

Rob: I did not realize there was that much around New Enland/Northeast.
What do you do for a horse?
I would like to take a couple trips to see some of these grounds and trials.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 am

Rick,
There are alot more than this- with the exception of the NGSPA Pheasant Championships @ Wye Island,
everything else I listed is an AKC trial. There are even more AKC trials held in Medford, NJ (Eastern GSP and I believe
Garden State Weim) and trials held in Baldwinsville, NY as well.

If you want to attend American Field trials, there are a BUNCH held at Flaherty in CT, & the Arcadia Mgmt. area in RI.

Most- if not all of the AKC trials will have a wrangler there to supply horses to handlers & the gallery. The AF trials are
hit or miss with wranglers, but the folks there are great about helping you out. Last spring, I went to the Bristol Bird Dog
Club's trial at Flaherty (an AF trial). Those people were such gentlemen- none of them knew me from adam, but a few offered
to lend me their horse and one fellow ended up lending me one of his horses and then rode the brace and scouted for me as well.

If you go to the AKC webpage, and do an events search, you can select "field trials" then select the states you want to see results for.
That's how I get my info way before premiums come out.

Also, one last proviso on the list I posted regarding the trials I plan to go to, this is working from the premise
that my dog doesn't come into season during this time! :oops: I'm hoping she waits until December to cycle again.

Rob
Last edited by GrayDawg on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:11 am

Rob -

See you at Hudson Valley. I am judging a couple of stakes there and I entered my girl in the open derby there hoping she will be done with her heat by then. If not...I guess I'll just go and watch your dog and some others.

Take care and good luck.

RayG

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Rob,

Glad to meet you at the HVBC FT. Not such a bad deal that we had to split the blue ribbons, I hope? Look forward to running with you next time.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Wow, now that I see your pic in your profile, I recognize you from this past weekend at HVBC trial. I was there with a couple of friends (from Canada) running my girl in the open gun dog. They are definately fantastic grounds to run, and I hope the blue ribbon will keep you rolling! I picked up my first placement 2 years ago, so it is a place I like to go to. Hope you have many more placements this fall!!

Travis

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Doodle wrote:Rob,

Glad to meet you at the HVBC FT. Not such a bad deal that we had to split the blue ribbons, I hope? Look forward to running with you next time.
Mel,
There you are! Nope- not a bad deal splitting the blues at all.......... I can share !! :lol:

Good luck at the NAVHDA test you have coming up & I look forward to riding a brace together in the future & cutting our dogs loose.
I'm sorry I didn't get to see your dog's winning performance in the OD, I tend not to ride the brace just before we run.

Rob

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:45 pm

MTO4Life wrote:Wow, now that I see your pic in your profile, I recognize you from this past weekend at HVBC trial. I was there with a couple of friends (from Canada) running my girl in the open gun dog. They are definately fantastic grounds to run, and I hope the blue ribbon will keep you rolling! I picked up my first placement 2 years ago, so it is a place I like to go to. Hope you have many more placements this fall!!

Travis
Travis,
I think I watched your brace- but weren't you in the Amateur Walking Gun Dog with a bitch named Jasmine?
Or maybe I have you confused with someone else? If Jasmine is your dog, she is a nice dog.

Rob

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Well GrayDawg, all I can say is you have a real nice girl there. :wink: She did a real good job in both stakes but really shined on Sunday for you in AWD. She more then earned her blue and I can see many more of those in your future.
BTW....in case you haven't figured it out I was the one judge that judged both Derby stakes :wink:

I'm real glad you enjoyed Lost Pond....and totally agree that they are excellent grounds....Ray....you were there?? AND I MISSED MEETING YOU??????

Mel....no words necessary between us :wink: Keep up the good work with Miss Tink.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:42 am

Ms. Riggle,
Thank you for the kind words regarding Katy as well as your consideration of her this past weekend.
I hope you have an enjoyable trial season.

Rob

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:27 pm

I'd take that dog home and feed her :D IN SPITE of the fact that she is a GSP :mrgreen: You have done a great job with her so far and your love for your dog shows in all the work you have put into her. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures from here!

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:55 pm

GrayDawg wrote:
MTO4Life wrote:Wow, now that I see your pic in your profile, I recognize you from this past weekend at HVBC trial. I was there with a couple of friends (from Canada) running my girl in the open gun dog. They are definately fantastic grounds to run, and I hope the blue ribbon will keep you rolling! I picked up my first placement 2 years ago, so it is a place I like to go to. Hope you have many more placements this fall!!

Travis
Travis,
I think I watched your brace- but weren't you in the Amateur Walking Gun Dog with a bitch named Jasmine?
Or maybe I have you confused with someone else? If Jasmine is your dog, she is a nice dog.

Rob
Hi Rob, I was in the Amateur Gun Dog, and my girl is Jasmine. She is a nice dog when she decides to honour the other dog on point. That was the reason for the 15 minutes of glory and not the 30 minutes of glory! Ahh, the joys of running dogs! Good luck with your other fall trials. I noticed you mentioned Flaherty grounds. They are great. I ran a vizsla trial there in 2008. It is a walking trial at the beginning of december by the Connecticut Valley Vizsla Club. Very nice club, and I'd like to go back this year if I can... anyhow, all the best, I've rambled enough!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:11 am

Travis,
The CVVC is running a trial at Flaherty agian this fall (er- early winter). It's the first weekend in December. So long as we're not snowed in,
I'll be running Katy at the CVVC's trial, so maybe we'll see you there?

Yes, that was Jasmine that I remembered. I didn't want to mention the non-honor. Despite that, she still looked like a nice dog in the 15 minutes
she was down.

Enjoy your season,

Rob