Is there a different way

TraditionsGSPs2010

Is there a different way

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Is there a different way to ask about some of the different discipline of the GSP bloodlines? I have been involved with shorthairs for only about 6 years now. I got started through NAVHDA so much of what I know revolves around what I have seen. I have tried to do some research but some of what's written out there doesn't seem to be worth the paper they used.

I hear about the field trial dogs being "big running dogs" not bred for the foot hunter. Some of the guys I have trained with have run in some AKC trials. I have heard mixed reviews on their opinions of those events but realize without having never run in one myself, what I have heard should be filed as what they are... opinions. The DK guys I know are proud of the heritage piece and do incorporate some additional "versatile" traits such as the fur work. Then there is the show ring where I have heard dogs are bred for their looks and not so much for the design of the breed. Form follows function and it seems many of GSP's in the show ring have hunting titles to go along with their conformation accolades. I have enjoyed NAVHDA because they have been good to me but that doesn't mean there isn't a whole lot more good out there.

There is a ton on knowledge on this board which is the reason I started checking in on a regular basis. Is this too touch a subject to approach... I dunno? I would be interested in learning why different guys go different directions, how they got their starts, why folks tend to stay in one discipline over another and why/what is liked about the different areas of competition. I would like to start my own line with the rather lofty goal that I might be able to add something to the breed but the more I know, the less I know!

Thanks for your consideration...
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Ridge-Point

Re: Is there a different way

Post by Ridge-Point » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 am

TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:much of what I know revolves around what I have seen.
There is no replacement for personal experience. In most cases a DK is going to be started differently than an All Age prospect. How do you know if the DK can't run or the ALL Age dog can't be foot hunted? If you really want to know what's in a line of dogs, buy some pups and find out.

larue

Post by larue » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:55 am

I started in pointing dogs with a dnr sponsored pointing dog clinic,after that I hooked up with a navhda chapter.
I ran navhda for a few years,taking a dog to the invite a couple of times.
While training for the invite I started running master hunt tests to prepare him for the invite.
I enjoyed the navhda tests,but I started to find as my dog ran bigger,I looked for a more competitve format.
I ran nstra,and walking field trials and I was hooked to the field trial game.
I can say that in every format there are really nice dogs and very average dogs.
Some navhda dogs can do very well in field trials,while some field trial dogs can do very well in navhda.
It is as much in the training as it is in the dog,with some exceptions.
A big part of why I like trial dogs is that I hunt wild birds ,so I do better with dogs who can hunt all day,cover alot of ground,and who stand off there birds.
If i only hunted game farms,I would want a dog who stayed very close naturally
I will say this,some of the best gsp's I have watched come form country that separates the dogs for the breeder.
There is nothing like wild birds to evaluate dogs.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:25 am

larue wrote:I started in pointing dogs with a dnr sponsored pointing dog clinic,after that I hooked up with a navhda chapter.
I ran navhda for a few years,taking a dog to the invite a couple of times.
While training for the invite I started running master hunt tests to prepare him for the invite.
I enjoyed the navhda tests,but I started to find as my dog ran bigger,I looked for a more competitve format.
I ran nstra,and walking field trials and I was hooked to the field trial game.
I can say that in every format there are really nice dogs and very average dogs.
Some navhda dogs can do very well in field trials,while some field trial dogs can do very well in navhda.
It is as much in the training as it is in the dog,with some exceptions.
A big part of why I like trial dogs is that I hunt wild birds ,so I do better with dogs who can hunt all day,cover alot of ground,and who stand off there birds.
If i only hunted game farms,I would want a dog who stayed very close naturally
I will say this,some of the best gsp's I have watched come form country that separates the dogs for the breeder.
There is nothing like wild birds to evaluate dogs.
+1
brenda

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:13 pm

TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:I have heard mixed reviews on their opinions of those events but realize without having never run in one myself, what I have heard should be filed as what they are... opinions.
Opinions are like a$$holes.............everyone has one and they all stink :!:

larue

Post by larue » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:13 am

The water issue is funny,the duck search is the only part of a navhda ut test that a dog must show independance.
The very strongest water work I have watched has been by field trial bred gsp's.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 pm

OK, to add some clarity to my first post... It was not my intention to stereotype any group of dogs that are tested for/in a certain discipline. I also want to add that immediately after I wrote my first post I went thru and read the rules for field trials and NSTRA that are available on line. I should have done so before I asked anything.

I wish I could by a dog from every litter that catches my eye but my wife and my job just won't allow!

Larue, what caught my eye was something you said about the best water workd you ever saw was by field trial lines. This is the exact question I was hoping to get some insight on. Do some of the different bred lines bring different pros and cons to the table? The personal goal I have sent for myself is to run in a couple of different events in the next year to see what I can learn. I was just hoping I would get some opinions as to what attracts some of the more experienced GSP folks to the different testing venues. Maybe a better way to ask would be to get some clarification on what to expect and help in preparation.

Thanks!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.