neutered gun dog

jlowery

neutered gun dog

Post by jlowery » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:29 am

If anyone could give me some advice rather or not to neuter a gun dog, and if they will still be hard charging, run all day, GUN DOGS... My 8 month old Brittany is humping everything. i just want your opinion on if this will help with this problem... He is a French Brittany, and is UKC AND AKC registered... and has great genetics... a long list of family champions... I would like to breed him, but it wouldn't be for a few years, before i would be able to have another gundog... Your advice is very welcomed

reddog

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: neutered gun dog

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

jlowery wrote:If anyone could give me some advice rather or not to neuter a gun dog, and if they will still be hard charging, run all day, GUN DOGS... My 8 month old Brittany is humping everything. i just want your opinion on if this will help with this problem... He is a French Brittany, and is UKC AND AKC registered... and has great genetics... a long list of family champions... I would like to breed him, but it wouldn't be for a few years, before i would be able to have another gundog... Your advice is very welcomed
I don't think neutering him will correct the humping. When he does it, give him a smack and scold him; maybe make him do a long down. Be on time with the correction and be completely consistent.

I have my dogs taught to do a down, then lay on their sides with their heads down. Like the "Bang!" trick. I use it to settle them down when they get over excited. Works wonders.

Greg J.

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 am

Just got done reading a lot of internet stuff, and actually some old post from this forum... I am not neutering my brittany... I will take care of this with dicipline and i am fully aware of the pros and cons... i want a star athlete.... and will take the proper steps to achieve this... just like his hunting training... just goes with the territory...

reddog

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 am

What is he humping? People? Pillows? Other dogs?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:23 am

mcbosco wrote:What is he humping? People? Pillows? Other dogs?
Sounds like you want pictures? :oops: :roll: I'm wondering what difference it makes since all he wants is the pup to stop. And it sounds like the situation or at least the question being asked has been answered.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:25 am

I have never seen that a neutered dog was affected athletically when neutered or spayed for that matter. If my DD were any more athletic, she would play football. :lol: She has been fixed, by the way.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:45 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Sounds like you want pictures? :oops: :roll: I'm wondering what difference it makes since all he wants is the pup to stop. And it sounds like the situation or at least the question being asked has been answered.

Ezzy
I will ignore the childish part of your post. I does matter because a dog that humps people has a different issue than one that humps other dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:58 am

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
I will ignore the childish part of your post. I does matter because a dog that humps people has a different issue than one that humps other dogs.
The issue is how do you get him to stop and that isn't done by neutering but rather by discipline. It is mainly just a habit that a virile pup starts and needs to be corrected.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Wow we agree. The only point I am trying to make is that if a pup humps people or just certain people you approach it differently. Mine never humped an adult, but would try only on my younger son. It was fixed easily by my younger son asserting dominance. The origin of the problem was that my son would wrestle with him on the ground even though I specifically asked him not to do that. Big surprise.

I had my younger son feed him at night for a couple weeks, then it stopped. The person with the food is always viewed as the dominant party.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Puberty...Give him a swat and let him mature more before neutering..
brenda

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:00 pm

No reason to swat a dog for anything like that and leave intact if you can. Hitting a dog for something like that is like pushing on the hump of camel....

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:22 pm

If i don't give a swat or something, i'm gonna be gettin a swat from my wife, everything he humps he bits a hold on and rips... So discipline is in the works... And he goes outside when i am not there to supervise...

reba

Post by reba » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:15 pm

I was showing my Breed Champion Lab one time and before we could stop it, he was humping the female judge! She looked at me, smiled and said, "I think he likes me."

As to the Humping dog.......such sounds like he hasn't learn the word NO or what ever you use for NO. We use the word AAACCCCKKKK!!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWfsVK4LAtI

there are some advantages to this behavior :)

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 pm

He knows the word NO!!! veryyyyyy welllllll.... but i am not always there to say it in a MANS tone.... My wife and i just had a new little boy and has been distracted a little.... When i am around, Red stays hooked to the hip with me, when home with mom, he is a little unsupervised, The dog is very well trained, if i speak he listens and responds.... So Hearing someone say that my dog doesn't know the word NO is a huge understatement.... i can't be with him 24/7

reddog

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:44 pm

He doesn't see your wife as the dominant party when you are not around. She has to assert that. Having a new baby around changes everything but if you can get her to try that, he will stop.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:45 pm

I cuff them lightly under the jaw with my fingers and give them the aaaaahhhhh!!! Verbal. It's effective and doesn't hurt them or me.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 am

OK, With a new baby your dog is looking for the attention he got before the baby.

My suggestion is the your wife really gives your dog an extra amount of attention all at once for maybe 30 seconds, petting, scratching his belly etc. She should repeat this several times a day. When he misbehaves she needs to put him in his kennel. Do you have a outside kennel?

Problem is your wife doesn't what to train your dog and take care of your son; she is under a lots of stress. You're a lucky man. Treat all three with love. AND don't make it seem to your wife she isn't the top dog in your life.

I doubt neutering your dog will stop his humping.

BTW your reaction to my comment about sounding like your dog doesn't know the word 'NO" sounds like you are a little stressed. Take a deep breath you have a wonderful life, wife, son and dog.

Best wishes.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:17 pm

I have a neutered pointer. He doesn't hump anything and think he has to run around peeing on everything. Another nice thing about it is heat dogs don't phase him a bit. So when people are crying about heat dogs at a trials I say bring em on. He is really nice to be around. Everything else is still all pointer. He is a hard running machine.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:41 pm

I have had un-nuetered ones that didnt either and nuetered one that did plus the same with the females, some do and some don't.

Ezzy

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Have your wife crate him when she's understandably distracted. Your pup will adjust to it, and everyone will be happier.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 pm

I have also heard neutered dogs live longer also, anyone else hear such a thing? I am not for or against neutering but I would say that I do feel that alot of people don't fix there dogs and maybe should? I think everyone will agree only the best should be bred. Quality is what we should be breeding for not sentimental reasons. After all it cost the same to keep a good one as it does a bad one.

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:48 pm

smoothbean wrote:I have also heard neutered dogs live longer also, anyone else hear such a thing? I am not for or against neutering but I would say that I do feel that alot of people don't fix there dogs and maybe should? I think everyone will agree only the best should be bred. Quality is what we should be breeding for not sentimental reasons. After all it cost the same to keep a good one as it does a bad one.
Fixing a dog reduces the risk of certain cancers and increases the risk of others. Accidental litters happen because people are irresponsible. It's not a difficult thing to lock a female up during her heat cycle.