shipping

brookzee

shipping

Post by brookzee » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:25 pm

i have used several different airlines over the years for dog shipping, depending on destination, etc....i have always used air cargo and never flown with the dog. talking with friends about shipping prices leads me to this post.i just paid 400.00 one way from atlanta to wichita.i was talking with a friend , he said the same airline charged him 200.00 into no. dakota.he was on the plane as well.it was another 200.00 for the dog coming back.
i have seen people at the airport check their dogs right there with baggage, and that is how my friend did it.
anyway, Questions;
does it generally cost less for the dog portion if you would be traveling as well?
how do you check your dog, do you still have to have the vet certification and the bag of food and water bottle ,etc....

those with experience please help me understand this better

dan v

Re: shipping

Post by dan v » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Carriers like American Airlines charge $150 each direction when the dog travels as checked baggage. Not sure what Delta does for checked baggage, but I do know that for the most part, if you fly a 400 Vari-kennel, it's gonna set you back $400, each direction as cargo.

I've never attached a water bottle on any dog I've shipped, but you will need the snap-in cups. Attaching some food isn't a bad idea, but not required. And yeah, you still need a health cert.
Dan