Who says pointers don't like water.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Who says pointers don't like water.

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:17 am

Birddogz wrote: I'm sure you will argue, but then again what don't you argue?
Pot meet Kettle...

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:22 am

You must have some deep-seated insecurities that motivate you to unload on pointers at every opportunity. You have a long and colorful history of doing so.

Hunt behind whatever breed you prefer to hunt behind, and enjoy it. Then allow others to do the same. The leg-hiking has become a bit stale.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:43 am

Well said CK......

Feel free to read my posts from my profile page Birddogz, I was thumbing thru yours last night. colorful to say the least.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 am

Find one negative thing I said about pointers. I said they can't break ice and would make poor duck dogs in the north. If you interpret that as railing against pointers then you have a mental illness. You all are proving me right with every insecure retort. I have said that pointers are GREAT dogs. THey have limitations. If you can accept that, then you are in agreement with me. You can't because you somehow interpret that as me railing on them. I started an entire thread on the short comings of my breed. Why don't you try it. I don't think that you can bring yourself to type such things. I have no trouble with pointers, I like them. It is their blind owners that frustrate me. :wink:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:54 am

1968, those pics were taken in New Mexico.

BirddogZ- I haven't jumped down your throat, or attacked you. I did reply quite diplomatically to your remark about "hating on their own breed". That is all. I've stayed out of this idiotic rhetoric, and posted pics that are RELEVENT to the thread. I suggest you do the same or be quiet, and let those who have something of value to add to the topic, add it in peace.

Many people come to this forum out of enjoyment and to learn and share knowledge, not to create a hostile enviroment. I don't know where you get off thinking you entitled to the authority to hijack threads, spew your idiotic philosophy, vomit your inane rhetoric on everyone who could care less.
I sure hope this wasn't directed towards me? I have argued nothing with you thus far. I'm sure Tommyboy is sorry he ever started this thread, and that's a shame. Being of such dizzying intellect, (as a person AND a physician) I'm confident you know when you've worn out your welcome.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:58 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:1968, those pics were taken in New Mexico.
My mistake, made an assumption, without reading :wink:

I am sure that other quote was directed squarely at me....and I'm OK with that, my posting archive , I think, proves differently.
And he dodged the offer to prove us all wrong .......
Last edited by birddog1968 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 am

It doesn't matter what a guy uses a dog for. For crying out loud. That's why people use labs, DD, EP, GSP, Brits, etc... for upland hunting. There are dogs that are better than others. But the others still have jobs in someones house. To each his own.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:07 am

BirddogZ- I haven't jumped down your throat, or attacked you. I did reply quite diplomatically to your remark about "hating on their own breed". That is all. I've stayed out of this idiotic rhetoric, and posted pics that are RELEVENT to the thread.

Many people come to this forum out of enjoyment and to learn and share knowledge, not to create a hostile enviroment.
I sure hope this wasn't directed towards me? I have argued nothing with you thus far. I'm sure Tommyboy is sorry he ever started this thread, and that's a shame. Being of such dizzying intellect, (as a person AND a physician) I'm confident you know when you've worn out your welcome.

Where did I make a negative comment about a pointer? Show me. I said they don't make good duck dogs in the north. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT POINTERS! I simply stated a limitation, and you all have over reacted terribly.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:09 am

ElhewPointer wrote:It doesn't matter what a guy uses a dog for. For crying out loud. That's why people use labs, DD, EP, GSP, Brits, etc... for upland hunting. There are dogs that are better than others. But the others still have jobs in someones house. To each his own.
Thats been the point the whole time...well said.

I only argued about his constant belittling and for my part in a long drug out stupid argument , I apologize to everyone who has to read it. Sorry, he won't bait me in again.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 am

Sorry Charlie I didn' mean to leave you out. You were out there freezing your butt off right along with Ron and me and the dogs. :lol:

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 am

Birddogz wrote:

BirddogZ- I haven't jumped down your throat, or attacked you. I did reply quite diplomatically to your remark about "hating on their own breed". That is all. I've stayed out of this idiotic rhetoric, and posted pics that are RELEVENT to the thread. I suggest you do the same or be quiet, and let those who have something of value to add to the topic, add it in peace.

Many people come to this forum out of enjoyment and to learn and share knowledge, not to create a hostile enviroment. I don't know where you get off thinking you entitled to the authority to hijack threads, spew your idiotic philosophy, vomit your inane rhetoric on everyone who could care less.

Where did I make a negative comment about a pointer? Show me. I said they don't make good duck dogs in the north. If you don't have the I.Q. to understand that, then it is you who is an idiot. Maybe you need to think before you type. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT POINTERS! I simply stated a limitation, and you all have over reacted terribly. Honestly, you remind me of 13 year old girls, certainly not grown men. You can't have a debate without name calling. Evidence and logic, not emotion and irrationalism.
Birddogz, I agree with ya, Pointers really aren't designed to do heavy duty Duck work, a PP or DD I am convinced is on average gonne do better in a duck blind for sure. I don't have any problems admitting it....But I will say Pointers are fantastic bird dogs on average. :D

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:01 am

This discussion has cropped up so many times it becomes a chronic comedy.

The topic was that pointers like water...and they do. The topic was not that Pointers are Lab or Vdog replacements. If I were in a warm water climate, I would use my Pointer or Setter to retrieve my puddle ducks. If I was a big water waterfowler, I would get a proven dog for the work.

And that is the crux of the matter.... all of us seek our dogs that have proven they can do what we need for generations. So if there really are Pointer guys out there that think they can "back" their dog out to point 200 yds away in heavy water to retrieve a "flyer", show it to me...and I will be the first to applaud...good work is good work.

Here is a pic of our training water....

and here is the dog in that pic at 10X magnification (between the middle 2 dead trees) about 200 yds away...she has found a duck at the end of the training day ... the duck has been out three about three hours....simply sent her on a line where we had last seen the duck and went back to my truck and watched from the tailgate..she brought me the duck...then I said "find it" and she went out to look for another one

I have never seen a longtail do this but then again I don't know anyone who demands that from their longtails...but when I see it, you can bet I'll be the first to offer a longnecker!!!

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:07 am

Now thats a reteive :) how far is that?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:51 am

Either get this back on topic or it will be closed. There are other plces than on here to vent your opinions of people and we will reserve this topic for the dogs. And because you haven't seen something that others have that is no reason to start all of the negativity.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:59 am

:mrgreen: Image

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:17 pm

JKP wrote:This discussion has cropped up so many times it becomes a chronic comedy.

The topic was that pointers like water...and they do. The topic was not that Pointers are Lab or Vdog replacements. If I were in a warm water climate, I would use my Pointer or Setter to retrieve my puddle ducks. If I was a big water waterfowler, I would get a proven dog for the work.

And that is the crux of the matter.... all of us seek our dogs that have proven they can do what we need for generations. So if there really are Pointer guys out there that think they can "back" their dog out to point 200 yds away in heavy water to retrieve a "flyer", show it to me...and I will be the first to applaud...good work is good work.

Here is a pic of our training water....

and here is the dog in that pic at 10X magnification (between the middle 2 dead trees) about 200 yds away...she has found a duck at the end of the training day ... the duck has been out three about three hours....simply sent her on a line where we had last seen the duck and went back to my truck and watched from the tailgate..she brought me the duck...then I said "find it" and she went out to look for another one

I have never seen a longtail do this but then again I don't know anyone who demands that from their longtails...but when I see it, you can bet I'll be the first to offer a longnecker!!!

Nice pics! That is a heck of a retrieve!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:07 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Sorry Charlie I didn' mean to leave you out. You were out there freezing your butt off right along with Ron and me and the dogs. :lol:
Just having some fun Tom. :lol:
You started a nice enjoyable thread. Too bad it went where it did.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

asc

Post by asc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Nice pictures.. My ep likes to swim, I don't encourage it though, we got lizards that eat dogs. I did try to get her to snorkel :) but it just didn't work. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had Setters? Then we could all be gentlemen.

BTW... Brownie hates the water.... doesn't bother me a bit. I hate duck hunting.

Shane

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Looks like a pointer was in the woodshed with his momma Shane. :wink:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Everyone knows that setters rarely cut it as seeing eye dogs. Furthermore, the females tend to be very promiscuous, with no morals whatsoever.

At least we can all agree on that.

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:05 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Looks like a pointer was in the woodshed with his momma Shane. :wink:

Just cause he doesn't like the water!? You guys are crazy ;)

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:21 pm

That's really a nice-looking setter, Shane.

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:33 pm

ckirsch wrote:That's really a nice-looking setter, Shane.
Thanks! We really enjoy him. Here's another of his "on the job."

This was January of this year on woodcock in South Louisiana. We're headed to Northern Minnesota in just a few weeks to chase woodcock and grouse (for the first time) with a buddy of mine. Can't wait to get into those north woods.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 pm

shanebevel@gmail.com wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Looks like a pointer was in the woodshed with his momma Shane. :wink:

Just cause he doesn't like the water!? You guys are crazy ;)

Just teasing really, but he does have somewhat of a pointer looking face.....Great looking dog BTW.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:15 pm

JKP wrote:If y'all don't believe that there are some actual strong tendencies that are breed specific, then we all have been wasting our time for the last 150 years. I would not want to train most longtails to sit, hup, handle on the whistle....can some do it?...well, heck yes...I guess I could get a raccoon to fetch the paper too....but we're not talking about the exceptions. I take pride in what my dogs do well .. that's why I have them...for those that need to say that their dogs do it better...bless 'em if that makes 'em happy. After 50 years in dogs, I've learned most of it is just talking anyway.

I have worked with 15-20 longtails...which is not a lot...and there is a distinct difference in my view as far as trainability and mental makeup and natural tendencies...note I said different...not worse, better or otherwise. The vast majority could not take the pressure and amount of training I demand of a young DD. But then again, my dogs aren't going to cover the ground, and scamper through the Texas scrub like a good longtail.

I do agree that there are a few Pointer guys that just HAVE to crawl to the top of every heap in the barnyard and crow...but that's got more to do with the people and less with the dogs :wink: :wink:
WOW 50 years in dogs and only 15-20 Pointers and you base your opinion on an entire breed on that little experience, jump to uneducated conclusions much. Far as clawing to the top of the heap I see that "bleep" out of the so called versatiles more than any type of breed owners.

ArcticRetrievers

Post by ArcticRetrievers » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Birddogz wrote:No I don't. Not in cold weather, and I don't believe most pointers have the hardware to handle hand signals like labs can. heck, DDs aren't as good as a labs, and I freely admit that. DDs/PPs are better waterfowl dogs than pointers are. You may disagree, but I think that if pointers could do it, people would be doing it with them. I have no doubt that a pointer can make a water retrieve. I don't think they can do it in cold weather, and I don't think their memory is capable of multiple blinds. Now, could there be one out there, sure, anything is possible. I'm simply stating what I have seen, and what I have been told by pointer breeders themselves. I'm not hating on pointers, I'm simply seeing their limitations. All dogs have them. A pointer is a bird finding monster. No one would doubt that. I contacted about 6 different pointer men, and they told me that pointers are not capable of making blinds and fetching when it is cold. They told me to get a PP. Maybe they were hating on their own breed.
Hey just to butt in a little but trying NOT to stir the Pot, I have both Labs and DD's and while my Labs are a little more level headed, and take direction to blinds a little better, My DD's will outrun, outswim, and outhunt my labs any day...They are both Awesome breeds...Thats why I have them...yes there are limitations to every breed...GSPs and English Pointers may need Vests to handle water, DD's and PP's may need a little more direction to a blind because they want to keep hunting, not sit down and take direction, and Labs, well labs Certainly may not be able to blood track, or work a field or what not as well as a pointing breed...but you know what thats whywe call em breeds...and to be honest everybody prefers the breed they have for one reason or another...