Puppy chewing everything

redman25

Puppy chewing everything

Post by redman25 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 am

My GSP is a little over 9 weeks old, and his chewing is getting a little frustrating. He wants to chew on everything! Obviously , we discourage it as best we can. I know that the baby teeth do not last very long and was wondering if what he is doing is normal? He gets quite a bit of exercise, so anxiety isn't an issue most days. Any input will be appreciated.

Birddogz

Re: Puppy chewing everything

Post by Birddogz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:35 am

Very normal. Just don't let him chew on people. If he does, pick him up by his nape and shake him a little. Follow that with a stern NO. If he ever becomes angry, pin him on his back and stare at him until he looks away and calms down. Pups love to chew, buy him some beef tracheas. They are cheap and nutritious for your pup. :)
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Buy some Kongs, fill with Peanut buttter and freeze it. Then give to him.

Max is 8 mos and I swear we didnt have a chewing problem until he hit 5 mos. Now he STILL wants to chew anything in reach. Kongs have helped. I would stay away from rawhide if your pup is an aggressive chewer.

Toys Toys Toys. Redirect the chewing to what you want him to have. Good luck
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Buy the Nylabone puppy toys. Puppies get bored with adult toys because they are too hard for them. Nylabone puppy toys are just hard enough to last but soft enough to satisfy them. Also rotate toys just like people do with kids. They get bored with toys so keep some hidden and then hide the ones they were playing with.

Nylabone products are safe, fun for them and cheaper in the long-run. Kongs are fun too. I think though puppies like to know they are damaging something so the Nylabones toys may help.

Thew

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:50 pm

mcbosco wrote:Buy the Nylabone puppy toys. Puppies get bored with adult toys because they are too hard for them. Nylabone puppy toys are just hard enough to last but soft enough to satisfy them. Also rotate toys just like people do with kids. They get bored with toys so keep some hidden and then hide the ones they were playing with.

Nylabone products are safe, fun for them and cheaper in the long-run. Kongs are fun too. I think though puppies like to know they are damaging something so the Nylabones toys may help.

Thew
Have a 7.5 month old english setter who was a chewer. Have gotten him a bunch of Nylabone things.

He is better about not chewing things he shouldn't now, when he was younger (got him when he was 14 weeks) when we caught him chewing up something told him "NO !" and then gave him a Nylabone

nooblet

Post by nooblet » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:50 pm

my 1.5 year old pup still chews... i hate it.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:22 pm

nooblet wrote:my 1.5 year old pup still chews... i hate it.
That's hilarious! That's sounds just like my girlfriend. SHE hates it.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:31 pm

redman25 wrote:That's hilarious! That's sounds just like my girlfriend. SHE hates it.
If you really love her you'll stop chewing! :P

Plan on young dogs chewing for quite a while. Although the worst of it may be over by 5 or 6 months you have to keep a pretty close eye on most young dogs until they're about a year old.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Mine's 3 and still chews everything. Just had foreign body ingestion surgery to prove it. Thank goodness for pet insurance. We tried the stern "No", Bitter Apple, Bitter Orange, Bitter Lime, Hot sauce, etc.... He ate everything and went back for more. The only thing in the world Dyson won't chew is a kong. Go figure!

Carla

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:05 am

Most all of my dogs I've owned (and that's been a number of em) have curbed their chewing by the time they matured around age 2. However almost all dogs like to chew at some point if their teeth and gums are healthy enuf for it. I always keep rawhide squares on had and let them have a few a couple times a week. I have 3 dogs in the house, so I just reach in and grab a giant handfull and throw em down on the mudroom floor, and they go to town. :D

If, you don't keep "chew appropriate" items around, they might go looking for something on their own. I had a ginormous Lab once who ate a hole in my bed, clear down to the box springs.. We (my first wife & I) had just gotten home from a good evening about the town, and was anticipating "celebrating a large time" when we walked in and found the disembowlment of the bed... That sure killed the mood. :lol:

I'm remarried now. And, Drake sure was a fantastic dog. :mrgreen:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

redman25

Post by redman25 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 am

1vizsla wrote:Mine's 3 and still chews everything. Just had foreign body ingestion surgery to prove it. Thank goodness for pet insurance. We tried the stern "No", Bitter Apple, Bitter Orange, Bitter Lime, Hot sauce, etc.... He ate everything and went back for more. The only thing in the world Dyson won't chew is a kong. Go figure!

Carla
I'm going to assume you named him Dyson because he sucks up everything in sight? :lol:

redman25

Post by redman25 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:Most all of my dogs I've owned (and that's been a number of em) have curbed their chewing by the time they matured around age 2. However almost all dogs like to chew at some point if their teeth and gums are healthy enuf for it. I always keep rawhide squares on had and let them have a few a couple times a week. I have 3 dogs in the house, so I just reach in and grab a giant handfull and throw em down on the mudroom floor, and they go to town. :D

If, you don't keep "chew appropriate" items around, they might go looking for something on their own. I had a ginormous Lab once who ate a hole in my bed, clear down to the box springs.. We (my first wife & I) had just gotten home from a good evening about the town, and was anticipating "celebrating a large time" when we walked in and found the disembowlment of the bed... That sure killed the mood. :lol:

I'm remarried now. And, Drake sure was a fantastic dog. :mrgreen:
Man I'm glad I started this thread! Good stuff! :lol:

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:13 am

I have a 9 year old GSP that chews like crazy. Hoses are his specialty, or any toys my daughter left outside. Now he just "digs" inside his dog house. Drives me nuts, I have to yell at him to stop digging INSIDE the dog house!

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Redman25

You would be correct in that assumption!

My Dyson sucks up everything off the floor, counter,etc... and the vacuum's not bad either. :wink:

Heck, we even made claim of the week at the pet insurance place.

Carla