Recommended hunting vest

mofro14

Recommended hunting vest

Post by mofro14 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Just looking for some input as to what brand of vest you guys like to use when hunting with the dogs. I would like something that has a couple water bottle spots but other than that just the usual pockets and compartments that are useful for being out with the dog. Thanks for any input.

Martin

gittrdonebritts

Re: Recommended hunting vest

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:22 pm

I have a number of different options i have a heavy coat a lite vest and just a strap vest because the weather can change at any minute the brand is relay irrelevant as long as you are comfortable and happy with the vest if you can make it to a cabelas try all of the vests/ coats on that you can find.

mofro14

Post by mofro14 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 pm

I actually have a Cabela's 5 miles away and checked out all the ones they had there but didn't like what they had, that's why I decided to ask the people on here....I guess some other stores online that had some good vest would be another suggestion that would be helpful.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:25 pm

I REALLY like my WingWorks vest......they're a very good design and VERY well made.

The folks at WW really went out of their way to answer my questions and get me sized properly.

Here's a link to their site: http://wingworks.biz/

Mine has a nice compartment on the back (First-Aid kit), two water bottle carriers, a handy strap for my sweatshirt/coat once it gets hot, large covered shell pockets that are easy to access and an easy-to-load bird bag. I also bought a 2-shell holder for fast access and a holster for my Garmin and one for my cell phone.

My only complaint about this vest is that the water-bottle holders are just a tad too tight. The water bottles definitely stay put but they're a pain when taking the bottles in/out with the vest on. Based on how friendly and helpful the folks at WW were when I ordered, I don't doubt that I could have those resized if I really wanted too so I wouldn't worry too much about that issue......

Here's a pic from last season:
Last edited by Nebraska on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Filson strap vest
Cover cloth
Ordered without the fabric treatment, no blaze orange and fewer pockets.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Definately Wing Works.

Doug

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:50 am

I like the LL Bean Pa'tridge vests. I try to buy all that kind of gear from Beans. I think there is also a version with a pack if you need some extra space.

I don't see any value in outdoor gear that I have to come out of pocket over and over. Filson & Orvis are great too just on average more money for the same quality & no questions guarantee. I have seen a few WingWorks vest but for $150 they should offer a lifetime warranty. The fancier Orvis & Filson vests are that price and no matter what happens to them you can get a new one or your money back.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 am

I like the Mother vest I have, it has a couple of side mesh pockets to slide water bottles into, also has a pouch for a water bladder, for me it is a very comfortable vest to wear, a couple of things, I think the front pockest could have been moved forward just a tad, the game pouch maybe could have been expandable to allow it to be a bit deeper, to hold larger game birds, it works well for me...
I like anything Filson really.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,262 ... ypack.html

I like this vest here as well for justa simple practical vest......I think this is the one Mountaineer was reffering to

http://www.filson.com/products/mesh-gam ... oduct=aa13

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:37 am

I love the strap vest from Buck's Bags.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:02 am

Martin - hello from St Michael - nice to see another local guy on GDF!

+1 on the WingWorks. After spending years with ill-fitting vests that failed to meet my needs, I decided to go with a WW and have no regrets. The decision is largely a personal choice based on what you carry and how things fit, but the quality and customer service at WW is 2nd to none IMO. Also, the water bottle holders do loosen up with some use and work quite well.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:04 am

Really like my WingWorks, and like JakeDD said the bottle pockets loosen up after a little use. Ive had mine for two seasons and have no complaints. I tend to carry alot of necessary items (extra crap) and really like the way the weight is distributed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mofro14

Post by mofro14 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys...this is just what I was looking for to get me started in some different directions for some vest research. JakeDD looks like you are a NAVHDA guy too from some of your earlier posts....you active in the scene much? I got my first dog this year and have been active with NAVHDA all year. I like your profile pic!

micha

Post by micha » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Nothing like a wings works best vest I have ever owned :D

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 pm

I hunt with a Filson strap vest. Its not all "foo fooey" with a bunch of zippers and pockets and bells and whistles like it was fashion engineered by Michael Jackson. It has rugged simplicity, and I like that. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:11 pm

I love my vest aND IT IS A Columbia. Have a Cabela's not it is not as nice as the other

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:10 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:I hunt with a Filson strap vest. Its not all "foo fooey" with a bunch of zippers and pockets and bells and whistles like it was fashion engineered by Michael Jackson. It has rugged simplicity, and I like that. :D
I Love the Filson as well. Very durable vest.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Martin,
I use Columbias hunting vest with the dual bottle slots, and numerous pickets. I also have my Browning Gore-Tex Grouse Jacket for real wet/snowy weather.
I have intalled D-rings on both for my Dogtra transmitter.
RGD/Dave