Ooops, Pointer pup ate dove

OkieDogGuy

Ooops, Pointer pup ate dove

Post by OkieDogGuy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:44 am

I've got a Pointer that's about 5 months old. Housetrained by 10 weeks. Has basic commands down (at least when he's not too distracted in the field). He's getting comfortable wearing boots in the field and showing no signs of being gunshy. Began with starter pistol, then 9mm handgun and, yesterday, 20ga. Doesn't bother him at all.

When I had the shotgun with me yesterday I figured since it's dove season I'd drop a dove and see what the pup did. So I knocked down a dove and he showed no concern about the gun blast...but also no interest in finding the bird. So I led him to the area where I knew the bird was down. After alittle "dead dird" verbal coaching, he got really birdy and found it. So far, so good...but then, not being trained yet to retrieve, he wouldn't give the thing to me. We played tug-of-war for a moment or two before I realize that was futile and probably counterproducte. He was so excited about the thing he showed every sign of being willing to swallow it whole (and risk choking to death) before he'd let me have it.

Bottomline: he ate the thing. I know the rule of thumb is to not let a pointer pup catch a bird, much less eat it. Being new to this, I'm wondering if it was a major mistake. Or, since he's so young, one incident like this is no big deal and I should be happy he's showing such interest and prey instinct.

Thinking now, I better not take him hunting again until he's fully trained to retrieve.

Thoughts, folks?

daniel77

Re: Ooops, Pointer pup ate dove

Post by daniel77 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:56 am

I wouldn't say that what happened is a terrible thing and probably ruined your dog, but it is certainly something that you don't want to repeat a bunch of times. If you are planning on teaching the dog to retrieve, I'd say that the time to start that is now. Don't let him get his mouth on another bird until you're pretty darn sure that you can get things to go right. There are as many ways as there are owners/handlers to go about that. I think that just as many folks as have issues with the "ate a bird" aspect of this, would also have issue with you shooting a bird that your pup didn't point. Remember, it is his job to be a puppy. It is your job to groom him into a bird dog, and a major part of that is controlling situations so that your puppy has positive and constructive experiences, and doesn't ever have to opportunity to develop bad habits or get confused as to what his job is.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:19 pm

You can force a lip between teeth and bird and they will usually give it up....Ive also found a puff into the nose (blow in the dogs nose) will cause them to soften up and give the bird......

I wouldn't worry too much from pup eating a bird, just don't let it become a regular thing....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

penrod

Post by penrod » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:36 pm

If I grab my pup by the loose skin in front of her hind legs and pull up on it she will drop anything that is in her mouth. At least she is interested in the bird! With my very limited experience I have seen pointers do this same thing more so than the other dogs I have hunted with. Could have just been the owner though.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:54 pm

It can be as minor or major of a deal as you want to make it. My - now 5 month old - Pointer pup ate one of my chickens oh.. when he was about.. 15 weeks old? The bird committed suicide. It decided that the best place to look for scratch grain was in the dog run. Another dog probably killed it, but the pup somehow ended up with whatever he wanted of it. Who knows. Anyway, I wasn't home at the time he was doing this. My husband told me he did it, and was going to get the bird from him. In the process, he tripped in a hole the dogs had dug, and then was stung by a bee on the back of his head while heading down through the dog run. He was so disgusted by then, that he ended up saying screw it. "Let the dog eat the damed bird!" In the end, he had to go to ER because of the bee sting on the back of his head. :roll: Men.

Overall, it hasn't affected him. He retrieves birds fine. Although he did try the ''run off with bird in mouth'' stunt a time or two, *but*, I made sure to practice with him afterwords. The key being it was in a controlled environment where I could handle anything the dog might try that would not be a habit I want to set in his mind. We did this over, and over, and over again.. until I was sure we ended on a positive up-key note.

I always work my pups under these - controlled - settings. I do not give them a command or attempt to discipline them otherwise. In other words, I am saying - never lie to your dog. I want them to know that I mean what I say, and I say what I mean. I think you're pup will be fine. Try not to over think it.

ETA: Sorry, what I guess I was trying to explain was that I teach my dogs that there is a difference between working and home expectations. They know when they're 'on the job', and they know when they're not.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:15 am

I agree with all the previous comments, but would like to add,playing tug of war with the pup is the one of the worst things you could do. Like the others have said, don't fret over it, just change the way you do things in the future and you and your dog will be fine.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:35 pm

I wouldn't worry a bit, at least he got his mouth on a bird and liked it!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 am

1968 said to blow in their nose, I have always done so in the ear. Regarless, they will drop it.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

OkieDogGuy

Post by OkieDogGuy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Bottom line is that I need to keep better control of the training sessions...and fortunately my mistake hasn't done any major damage to a pup that is already a great companion and soon to be a fine hunter.