I'm on a roll!

Birddogz

I'm on a roll!

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:21 pm

First my dog gets "skunked", and today my DD got Quilled. I pulled them out, and she is no worse for wear. I have hunted every day since the opener. Limits on phez are common, but tough. Really working for them. The Huns and Sharpies are 1-3 a piece per hunt. The farmers need to get rid of all of these sunflowers and corn. Until then, it will be tough. The ducks and geese are showing up from Sask./Manitoba as we speak. It has been very warm. This is the first day I haven't had to wear bug spray. I am not complaining, just reporting. Hope all is well with all of you. :)
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: I'm on a roll!

Post by BigShooter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Either you're eating a lot of pheasants, giving a lot away or like most residents, ignoring the possession limit. 8)
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Oh no Big shooter, I have been eating phez like a maniac. I invite all of the neighbors! :D Good neighbors are hard to find. :wink:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Go get 'em, Birdogz!! I have heard that if you clip the ends off the porkie quills, they are easier to pull out. Have no personal experience in this arena, and plan to avoid getting it if at all possible!!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:01 am

AzHusker wrote:Go get 'em, Birdogz!! I have heard that if you clip the ends off the porkie quills, they are easier to pull out. Have no personal experience in this arena, and plan to avoid getting it if at all possible!!
That's an old wive's tale.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:11 am

BigShooter wrote:
AzHusker wrote:Go get 'em, Birdogz!! I have heard that if you clip the ends off the porkie quills, they are easier to pull out. Have no personal experience in this arena, and plan to avoid getting it if at all possible!!
That's an old wive's tale.
Mixed info, I guess. Some say clip 'em:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2132114_remove- ... s-dog.html

Other's say don't:

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Face-Full-Of-Porcupine-Quills

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 am

Having pulled more quills than I would care and having tried every "remedy" someone could cook up I have concluded that if you get ahold of the quill - pull it. Straight back and quick, the more the faster the better. Just get out the pliers and start pulling.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:58 am

I'm pretty sure we have Porkys around Kansas.. However I've never "ran into" one.. Thank Goodness. I do not relish the thought of having to de-quill a dog.. Sheesh, I hope I never have to do that. Wowza.. Ouch! :(
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 am

Porkies & skunks are common on the prairies of North Dakota. If I remember right, Greg Jennings can tell you about a dog that couldn't resist tangling with critters like that when it got the chance. My dogs tend to have learned from the intitial encounter. You do have to be careful though about kicking around in front of a point because some dogs will point porkies & skunks. :roll:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:16 pm

My dog had a nice point on a skunk in ND this weekend. It would of been a long ride in the SUV if she had gotten sprayed. My previous dog didn't point porky pines but did bark at them.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:34 pm

BigShooter wrote:Porkies & skunks are common on the prairies of North Dakota. If I remember right, Greg Jennings can tell you about a dog that couldn't resist tangling with critters like that when it got the chance. My dogs tend to have learned from the intitial encounter. You do have to be careful though about kicking around in front of a point because some dogs will point porkies & skunks. :roll:
Opening day of Ok quail season last year, hunting one of the western OK WMAs, dog locks up we get a good back, everyone gets ready as I go in to flush, HOLY $&!t a sunk hunkered up under some sage brush, I have never been very fast but I can tell you I was not wasting anytime getting the heck out of there. Well all managed to stay clean luckily, it was probably my blazing speed that saved me! Anyway it was quite a surprise.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:23 pm

rkelly wrote:My dog had a nice point on a skunk in ND this weekend. It would of been a long ride in the SUV if she had gotten sprayed. My previous dog didn't point porky pines but did bark at them.
That's one disadvantage of an SUV compared to a pickup or dog trailer! :D

If you use an SUV like I do it's best to carry the H2O2, baking soda & dishwashing detergent Greg Jennings always recommends.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:33 pm

I concur, that was a smelly azz ride home. Thank God it was only 2 miles. :D

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 pm

The youngster got skunked early Sunday evening, as I was out running a field with both dogs. Thought I'd get them near a tilled fresh winter wheat planting and the existing cover, right on the fringe. Found 2 birds there the day before. Saw something black a couple hundred yards ahead along a fenceline, and for whatever reason, assumed it was a turkey or a stump. :oops: (Have never come across a live skunk afield). Got within 100 yards or less yards and saw movement. Oops! I saw white stripes, and knew I had to get 'em turned quick. No problem with the older dog, but the young one started tracking in the fresh soil, and she was off... with me screaming bloody murder for her, to no avail. Of course I hadn't thought to put the e-collar on before we went on this quick run. Brandi didn't even see the skunk until she got about 30' from it. Then it was "dances with skunk" as it would spray and waddle and she would keep giving chase. I think the only reason she came back is that her eyes were hurting, and she dove head first into the brome grass. :roll: The hydro. p, baking soda, & Joy worked wonders.

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:40 am

The first time I took my Cali to a hunt test (1st JH leg) we went for a run across the road before her brace. She gets "birdy" and works into a tall CRP strip. It wasn't a bird. Next thing I know I hear her barking, I'm hollering "here", out she comes stinking to high heaven. I was worried it would affect here ability to smell birds. Everybody knew when we got to the line what had happened, they could smell her. She had two finds and passed. Knock on would her only incident so far.

My old Murphy dog one year on opening weekend, tangled with a skunk and killed it. He kept wanting to go back after it. He was known as skunk dog for the next couple years.

--- Charlie
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP