Deer Hunters and Dogs

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Deer Hunters and Dogs

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:38 pm

You don't see it that way...okie-dokie, that is between you, your dogs and your Vet.

I think we all do see what we are looking for most times....either thru wide-open eyes or those closed against seeing change in a fellow hunter of whatever weapon.
I simply care more about dogs than hunters...that is my burden, I guess.
I believe that was intended as a mild insult, but that is OK. :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

asc

Post by asc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Late on this I know, but down here in the south we hunt everything with dogs. All our seasons kind of run together. This weekend opens general gun(with dogs) on all private lands plus some mangement areas, but some other mgmt areas are just opening their bow season. Our small game season runs for a month after deer but also includes hogs. I hunt my EP for birds and hunt walkers for deer and have trouble with still hunters over both. All I say is god help the person that ever messes with my dogs. No sense in that kind of crap.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm sure the fella simply made an honest mistake and just thought he was looking at a really, really healthy coyote.
But, he may change taxidermists...and buy a taller treestand.

"Animal shot by hunter in Derry Township was escaped wolf or wolf-dog hybrid, Game Commission says

Published: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 4:20 PM Updated: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 8:45 AM

View full sizePhoto providedA hunter in Derry Township thought he had killed a coyote when he shot this animal with his bow and arrow. Pennsylvania Game Commission officials say it is actually an escaped wolf, or wolf-dog hybrid.

The animal an archery hunter killed Friday in Derry Township was a wolf or a wolf-dog hybrid, the Pennsylvania Game Commission says. But it is not a sign of the re-emergence of the Lupis species in the state's wilds.
The hunter, whose name has not been released, thought he had bagged a coyote, said Tower City taxidermist Dennis Wessner, who notified the Game Commission after the man brought the animal to his shop to be mounted.
“I knew right away when I looked at it. It was a wolf,” said Wessner. “It was at least 110 pounds. It was big. I knew there was something not right. You don’t get wolves in Pennsylvania.”
Not in the wild, anyhow, said Pa. Game Commission spokesman Jerry Feaser. The last reported wild wolves in the state were back in the 1890s.
Feaser said the animal was either a wolf, or a large wolf-dog hybrid with a high percentage of wolf blood. DNA tests will make an exact determination.
Wolves are a protected species under both state and federal law. The hunter will not be prosecuted for killing this one because he legitimately thought it was a coyote.
“There are no wolves wild in Pennsylvania, so he would have no reason to think it was anything other than a coyote,” said Feaser.

The animal escaped in early September while being dropped off at a sanctuary in Lancaster County by a woman who thought it was a dog and kept it as a pet, Feaser said. The woman licensed the animal as a dog. She even had it neutered.
That is why the Game Commission never issued any sort of advisory about the animal’s escape.
“It was reported to dog wardens as a runaway dog. It was documented as a dog. It was a woman’s pet,” said Feaser.
There were no reports the animal threatened any humans or livestock while it was on the loose. As a general rule, wolves or hybrids raised as pets are not any more dangerous than a runaway dog, Feaser said.
“Some could be dangerous. Some might come up to you and lick your face,” Feaser said."

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:10 am

BillGraves wrote:
mudhunter wrote:In PA we have deer hunting the entire Grouse season, its just a fact of hunting in PA. The grouse season does close for the two weeks of rifle deer season (you would be crazy to try to hunt a dog in the woods around here then!)
You got that right! A lot of times, in the State Game Land anyway, it's like a drunken pumpkin patch! No way am I taking my dog out in that!

felow pa bird hunters. i had good one happen with me here in pa hunting grouse during bear archery season.i looked for vehicles, saw none.
in i went with my new pup whiskers.
out 25 yds from me i heard whiskers bell stop.
i saw orange hat on tree.
there under tree was bear archery hunter sound asleep.
in his arms was nocked hunting arrow in crossbow.
i yelled, sir take arrow out of bow.whiskers was about to jump on him .

he got arrow out in time.man that could have been bad if he had that arrow in him.
i said, WHERE IS YOUR VEHICLE, I DONT BIRD HUNT AROUND VEHICLES.
HE SAID, jim we hide vehicles so no one knows our spot. :roll:
i said, WELL I WOULD NOT HAVE DISTURBED YOUR HUNT IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN YOU WERE HERE.
this lately is happening all time,i go in and find a hunter.
sad thing is i go in at 10 am,way after most hunters leave woods hunting deer but now most stay all day.
this is causing me to lose my grouse hunting areas .

how things are changing.
i am archery hunter too and dont like dog disturbing my hunt BUT i am out of woods in archery by 9 am or so.most deer are bedded down by then.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 pm

birddogger wrote:While there are some legitimate concerns here, I really hate to see hunters, who hunt one type of game, bashing and/or generalizing about hunters who have a different venue. We all need to support each other's sport, standing together against groups that are pushing to bring all hunting to an end. I used to deer hunt and would get upset when I would here negative comments, lumping us all into one category and get even more upset when other hunters or fishermen were making those comments. Deer hunters have as much of a right to pursue their sport as we do ours.

Personally, I don't bird hunt during deer season her in Illinois, not so much for safety reasons, but as a courtesy to the deer hunters. They only have a few day a year to hunt deer and I don't want to take a chance on interfering with there hunt. Anyway, these are my feelings on the subject.

Charlie
Thank you. I hunt more deer than birds but still expect the same respect that I give others. Yes we have a few bad apples out there but some of those same bad apples can be found in the bird woods too. So, far I have heard of three dogs being shot around here during bird season. Deer hunters aren't shooting BB's yet here.

During bow season in New Jersey, small game starts. I have shot more deer thanks to beagles running through the woods than before small game. So, I have no problem with someone coming through with a dog. In fact, I will be out opening day next monday. Feel free to walk all the land around my stand. I will split the meat with ya.

Joe

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 pm

JIM K wrote:
BillGraves wrote:
mudhunter wrote:In PA we have deer hunting the entire Grouse season, its just a fact of hunting in PA. The grouse season does close for the two weeks of rifle deer season (you would be crazy to try to hunt a dog in the woods around here then!)
You got that right! A lot of times, in the State Game Land anyway, it's like a drunken pumpkin patch! No way am I taking my dog out in that!

felow pa bird hunters. i had good one happen with me here in pa hunting grouse during bear archery season.i looked for vehicles, saw none.
in i went with my new pup whiskers.
out 25 yds from me i heard whiskers bell stop.
i saw orange hat on tree.
there under tree was bear archery hunter sound asleep.
in his arms was nocked hunting arrow in crossbow.
i yelled, sir take arrow out of bow.whiskers was about to jump on him .

he got arrow out in time.man that could have been bad if he had that arrow in him.
i said, WHERE IS YOUR VEHICLE, I DONT BIRD HUNT AROUND VEHICLES.
HE SAID, jim we hide vehicles so no one knows our spot. :roll:
i said, WELL I WOULD NOT HAVE DISTURBED YOUR HUNT IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN YOU WERE HERE.
this lately is happening all time,i go in and find a hunter.
sad thing is i go in at 10 am,way after most hunters leave woods hunting deer but now most stay all day.
this is causing me to lose my grouse hunting areas .

how things are changing.
i am archery hunter too and dont like dog disturbing my hunt BUT i am out of woods in archery by 9 am or so.most deer are bedded down by then.
I generally stay all day, because some of the best deer taken are the ones that get moved while guys are leaving the woods mid morning and when they come back early afternoon. I have three on the wall because of hunters heading out at 10. My son's 9 pointer last year was kicked out of his bed at 1 when the guy in the next field was heading back into his stand after lunch. He saw the buck get up 40 yards from his stand. He wasn't happy that it was on the back of our quad. Saw him this weekend. He is packing a lunch and staying in the stand all day. I offered to pay for his lunch on Monday. Where ever he wanted to go :D

Joe

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:15 pm

I read on one of the hunting dog boards a couple of years ago where a dog was shot by someone claiming the dog was on his property chasing deer. The guy was sued and the evidence that proved the hunters case was the track log from his Garmin. This is another reason to use a Garmin.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Wow! I have hunted deer for almost 35 years and all this time I had no idea I was such a monster!!! I wonder how many deer I've shot that were really dogs?!! :oops: I am sooo ashamed! Truth is... in Pa, most people hunt multiple game species, and most hunt deer, turkeys and upland birds too... of the 25 or so people at my workplace, we ALL hunt both deer and birds!.. I would like to know how many people here have personally had their own dog shot by a deer hunter. Please tell me the story. You will have my utmost and deepest heartfelt sympathy. But I would suspect that most have only "heard" about a buddys pal's cousin or something like that. I would bet that real confirmed incidents of deer hunters shooting dogs are not nearly as common, nor are all deer hunters beer gutted idiots. Not to say it hasn't or never could happen... I just think that most of this thread is alot of unfounded bashing and really unfair to the ethical deer hunters... I'm done now so bash away!.. :roll:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:22 am

More dogs are shot by there owner or owners friend or some dumb person in the field bird hunting hen by deer hunters. The way I look at it. Is my season is shorter then bow season so guess what I'm going to be out there as much as I can. Its better that I'm there with my dog kicking the deer up for these guys. Otherwise the deer are just bedding.

Heck some days ill bird hunt a spot in he morning Kennel the dogs and bag a deer at the same spot that afternoon.
it all works out for me and the guys just deer hunting. If my dog ever did get shot well the dumb blind deer hunter will be paying for it. But highly doubt it will ever happen. If your blind you shouldn't be hunting anyhow you should know your game and target.

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:08 pm

The flip side. I was hunting pheasants in a wooded area, during bow season. Dog flushed a nice rooster in a clearing. I tracked the bird with the barrel for a ways, then dumped it. Dog went for the retrieve. One of the trees I had swung past said "nice shot" from about 20 ft up, right where the gun had pointed. Really good camo. Is there a daily limit on bow hunters?
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 am

DougB wrote:The flip side. I was hunting pheasants in a wooded area, during bow season. Dog flushed a nice rooster in a clearing. I tracked the bird with the barrel for a ways, then dumped it. Dog went for the retrieve. One of the trees I had swung past said "nice shot" from about 20 ft up, right where the gun had pointed. Really good camo. Is there a daily limit on bow hunters?
That's my biggest fear grouse hunting....I've even had guys bow hunting in tree camo blaze orange and you don't see them until you look up into the trees. I was hunting with out a dog that time so my eye and ears were to the ground and no where else. I wish hunters would just whistle or something once they see me so I don't shoot them. I think most the time they don't want to come off as confrontational since they were there first and I'm kinda ruining their hunt so they figure they'll just shut up and let me pass.

Northwoods

Post by Northwoods » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Wow! I have hunted deer for almost 35 years and all this time I had no idea I was such a monster!!! I wonder how many deer I've shot that were really dogs?!! :oops: I am sooo ashamed! Truth is... in Pa, most people hunt multiple game species, and most hunt deer, turkeys and upland birds too... of the 25 or so people at my workplace, we ALL hunt both deer and birds!.. I would like to know how many people here have personally had their own dog shot by a deer hunter. Please tell me the story. You will have my utmost and deepest heartfelt sympathy. But I would suspect that most have only "heard" about a buddys pal's cousin or something like that. I would bet that real confirmed incidents of deer hunters shooting dogs are not nearly as common, nor are all deer hunters beer gutted idiots. Not to say it hasn't or never could happen... I just think that most of this thread is alot of unfounded bashing and really unfair to the ethical deer hunters... I'm done now so bash away!.. :roll:

i agree. i bowhunt as well as bird hunt. outdoorsmen need to stick together. i have never had any problems with bowhunters. although on public land i usually try and hunt during the week. on the weekend we own private land that i hunt on.
there are idiots out there and it is not because of what they hunt, but just becuase it is who they are.