Shedding (continued form the "awesome wife" thread

proudag08

Shedding (continued form the "awesome wife" thread

Post by proudag08 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 am

In order not to take away from the awesomeness of birddogers wife. I'll start the conversation on another thread.

The discussion came up yesterday with my wife about getting a GSP. She is really really worried about the shedding. I have tried to convince her that with frequent brushing, the shedding will be minimal and possibly comparable to that of a "light shedding" or "non-shedding" (I am still convinced that there is no such thing) breed.

2 things:

1. What are some practical ways I can prove this to my wife?
2. What are some tools (brushes, shampoos, food, etc) that those of you with GSPs use to prevent shedding in the house in order to keep the peace with your wife?

Thanks!

AzDoggin

Re: Shedding (continued form the "awesome wife" thread

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:03 am

My understanding is that the wire-haired dogs shed least - others will chime in.

The Furminator is the closest thing to magic you'll find with a doublecoated dog: http://leerburg.com/1072.htm
(You can get them cheaper on ebay)

Not sure about short haired dogs - don't know whether the Furminator would work, though I'd bet it would.

Some wise dog owner once said: Buy a dog the color of your couch. :D

Take care.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 am

As a woman, I'm going to be brutally honest. Your wife is going to have to learn to deal with dog hair in the house, unless you're getting a poodle. :D We've got 3 dogs and a 4th coming in January. All are indoor/outdoor dogs - a black lab, an orange/white French Brittany (she's the only one we hunt), and a beagle. For love of the dogs and my relationship with my husband and kids, I've learned to deal with the dog hair. As you can see, we've got every color in the book almost, so I live by the motto I saw on a plaque a while back, "No outfit is complete without some dog hair!" I won't even bring up the idea of muddy paw prints tracking through the house. :twisted:

Buy your wife a really good vacuum cleaner, and promise to use it every day! :lol: Then follow through.

The absolute best way to win her over is to commit to having a well-behaved dog.

Good luck!

Cheryl

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am

AzHusker wrote:My understanding is that the wire-haired dogs shed least - others will chime in.

The Furminator is the closest thing to magic you'll find with a doublecoated dog: http://leerburg.com/1072.htm
(You can get them cheaper on ebay)

Not sure about short haired dogs - don't know whether the Furminator would work, though I'd bet it would.

Some wise dog owner once said: Buy a dog the color of your couch. :D

Take care.
I have a wire-haired dog and unlike the other wire-haired breeds, Spinone are single coated. I would agree the wire-haireds shed the least, but within the breed it can vary. The longer coated ones, including Spinone, seem to lose less hair than the short-coated ones for some reason. Also, the wire-hair breeds tend to lose more of the color coat rather than the wirey white, at least that is my experience. I am constantly handstripping the white wires because the just grow.

Also, weather, diet, age & hormones also play a role.

Now WPG's seem to lose the least even though they are double-coated. If shedding is that much of an issue, there are some very fine standard poodles out there. Just Google "Hunting Poodles".

The Furminator is easily the best tool for a heavy coated dog like a Lab or Golden, but for a GSP or Vizla or other smooth coated dogs I would think the rubber mitts might be the best, but for some the Furminator might grab enough of the coat.

I

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:02 am

proudag08 wrote:In order not to take away from the awesomeness of birddogers wife. I'll start the conversation on another thread.

The discussion came up yesterday with my wife about getting a GSP. She is really really worried about the shedding. I have tried to convince her that with frequent brushing, the shedding will be minimal and possibly comparable to that of a "light shedding" or "non-shedding" (I am still convinced that there is no such thing) breed.

2 things:

2. What are some tools (brushes, shampoos, food, etc) that those of you with GSPs use to prevent shedding in the house in order to keep the peace with your wife?

Thanks!
Yes, GSPs shed, but most of the time it's not nearly as noticeable as longer-coated dogs like Britts or Setters. That being said, we find that regularly brushing with a soft rubber curry glove (yes, the kind they use on horses!) keeps shedding to a minimum. You can find them at local tack shops, feed stores, or on the Net. They are quick, easy to use, and VERY inexpensive.

Also, we shampoo our dog every couple of weeks or so with Perfect Coat Tearless Protein shampoo. After he's rinsed is when we curry his coat: not only does it take out excess moisture (faster drying) but it also gets rid of loose hair. Of course that doesn't stop the obligatory rolling around on the carpet after his bath. :mrgreen:
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:04 am

mcbosco wrote: If shedding is that much of an issue, there are some very fine standard poodles out there. Just Google "Hunting Poodles".
...or Pudelpointers - they do OK in NAVHDA. :D
Last edited by AzDoggin on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:39 am

I use a Zoom Groom on GSP and V. Works great. Use frequently, use it after ever bath, use it whenever they first show signs of "blowing coat".

Review this thread: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 88&t=23833 . It's mostly for first aid kits for bit hunting trips, but please note what I put in there about Immodium and Flagyl. It will save you cold shoulder time from the wife.

Something else that you need keep around is a quart of hydrogen peroxide, a small box of baking soda and two tablespoons of dishwashing liquid (anything but Dawn). This works incredibly well on skunk spray.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 am

AzHusker wrote:
mcbosco wrote: If shedding is that much of an issue, there are some very fine standard poodles out there. Just Google "Hunting Poodles".
...or Pudelpointers - the most frequently titled breed in NAVHDA.

Good point

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:02 pm

AzHusker wrote:...or Pudelpointers - the most frequently titled breed in NAVHDA.
You keep saying that. I read that to mean that there are more PP with titles than any other breed. In absolute terms. I don't think that is completely accurate.

I know that it doesn't mean the same thing, but here is a link to the list of all VCs including listing the breed. http://www.navhda.org/invhist.html . Now, this is a quick count, so don't take it as Gospel, but I counted 375 total VCs of which 230 were shorthairs and 9 were Pudel Pointers.

I'm pretty much breed agnostic. I don't really care about breed as much as I care about the breeder and the invididual dog. So, please don't take this as a breed pimp or a breed knock. I just want to make sure no one gets off track with an inaccurate statistic.

Greg J.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:45 pm

I think he means per dog entered. Like a percentage of dogs entered to dogs titled.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Birddogz wrote:I think he means per dog entered. Like a percentage of dogs entered to dogs titled.
As of what date?
What titles? NA I,II, III; UPT I, II, III, UT I, II, III and VC? Or what?
Any weighting for advanced titles or are they all weighted equally?

My point is that it sounds good on the surface but could easily be misconstrued by newbie folks...which are by policy the focus of GDF.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:
AzHusker wrote:...or Pudelpointers - the most frequently titled breed in NAVHDA.
You keep saying that. I read that to mean that there are more PP with titles than any other breed. In absolute terms. I don't think that is completely accurate.

I know that it doesn't mean the same thing, but here is a link to the list of all VCs including listing the breed. http://www.navhda.org/invhist.html . Now, this is a quick count, so don't take it as Gospel, but I counted 375 total VCs of which 230 were shorthairs and 9 were Pudel Pointers.

I'm pretty much breed agnostic. I don't really care about breed as much as I care about the breeder and the invididual dog. So, please don't take this as a breed pimp or a breed knock. I just want to make sure no one gets off track with an inaccurate statistic.

Greg J.
Greg you're right, my choice of terms has indeed been misleading. When entered, the PP tends to score well, but there are many fewer of them than the other breeds.

I like the way you described yourself as a "breed agnostic." I'm the same - always admire seeing a good dog work, regardless of the breed.

I just wish I lived on about 50 acres in wild bird country, had unlimited time and $$ resources. I'd own a few of each breed (and probably still want more). :D

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:04 pm

We're in the same boat. I spent all my youth struggling to get out of the country and I've spent all my adult life struggling to get back. Just want space and birds to work the dogs.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:30 pm

proudag08 wrote:In order not to take away from the awesomeness of birddogers wife. I'll start the conversation on another thread.

2 things:

Thanks!
Most good breeders have lists of puppy buyers with phone numbers that they give out for references. You could have your wife call a few of the numbers and talk to the person in the house who deals with the housecleaning if you wanted to - she could learn how much of a problem it is, and likely some good ways to deal with it as well.

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:12 pm

I've had GSP, rottys, and a few other ankle biters. My V's just dont shed that much compared to my GSP. Maybe its because of the color but I just dont believe that. That was a small part of us getting start with vizslas.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:14 pm

AzHusker wrote: Most good breeders have lists of puppy buyers with phone numbers that they give out for references. You could have your wife call a few of the numbers and talk to the person in the house who deals with the housecleaning if you wanted to - she could learn how much of a problem it is, and likely some good ways to deal with it as well.

Thanks a great idea! Thanks! I think I am going to leave it alone for the time being. For now I'll keep plugging along at my research and set everything up so that the only thing I'll have to do when she finally reaizes that it will be ok it tip the first dominoe and everything else will fall into place. **Keeping my fingers crossed**

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:19 pm

proudag08 wrote: For now I'll keep plugging along at my research and set everything up so that the only thing I'll have to do when she finally reaizes that it will be ok it tip the first dominoe and everything else will fall into place. **Keeping my fingers crossed**
Too funny. I'm sortof in the same position, but pretty sure my wife is resigned to the idea by now...and we've both been lifelong dog owners - what's one more?

So, yeah, cross your fingers and turn into the most helpful, chore-doingest, cooperative hubbie she could ever meet so when the time comes she'll really have no choice but to go along with you because you've made yourself too dang indispensable. If she sees she's got help, you've really taken away all arguments.

Good luck!! (and we expect pictures when the new addition comes in!)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:03 pm

With respect, My opinion is that I would never have the wife ask a question like that unless I knew ahead of time the answer and its delivery. Standard debate/courtroom strategy.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:28 pm

AzHusker wrote:
they are not the most frequently titled breed in NAVHDA I would say they have the highest pass rate. Frequency indicates an amount per unit time and not enough PP run compared to GSP's to make that claim. I know what you meant but that is not what you said. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:30 pm

northern cajun wrote:
AzHusker wrote:
they are not the most frequently titled breed in NAVHDA I would say they have the highest pass rate. Frequency indicates an amount per unit time and not enough PP run compared to GSP's to make that claim. I know what you meant but that is not what you said. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I always tell my wife "listen to what I mean, not what I say." Maybe I should put that in my signature? :oops: :lol:

(good thing the dang dogs can understand me)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Just a thought, if your wife has an issue with hair, how do you think she will react to a bearded dog dripping water all over the house and shaking and slinging debris all over the walls?

Bearded dogs have a mess all their own.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:41 pm

by mcbosco
That's gotta be true. Look at McBosco's avatar...what would you name that if you had only two choices...Felix or Oscar?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Chukar12 wrote:by mcbosco
That's gotta be true. Look at McBosco's avatar...what would you name that if you had only two choices...Felix or Oscar?
I have found earthworm in that beard.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Yeah thats what I though about the wire haired/ bearded breeds. I think that she would be more likely to overlook or deal with the shedding more than the wet beard.

k2k

Post by k2k » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:30 am

I've got a friend who's got a mainly white GSP and a completely liver GSP. Maybe it's just that the white hair shows more, but it seems that the white dog sheds alot less. I've noticed it when I've brushed them as well.

And like I've posted before, that's why they call it "fur"niture and car"pet". :lol: :roll: :lol:

Good luck!
Karen

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 am

Sounds like a Dyson Animal Vac might just be in your future.

I have no recent experience with inside dogs. My wife and I decided long ago that outside dogs were the way to go for us. However, I was just recently speaking to a diehard inside dog person and they told me that the Dyson Animal vac, with some sort of attachment for the furniture(that I cannot recall)...was the way to go.

He said that the price of the unit was obscene but it did pull up all the hair and lint and pretty much everything else that wasn't stitched down... out of the carpeting.

Just thought I would pass that one along.

I have had pointers all my life and I will say this...those short white hairs are like little spears. they stcik into the fabric of my car and truck upholstery and are a royal pain to remove completely. I think the longer hair, while it may look messier, might actually be easier to remove with a vacuum or lint brush.

The other thing is that an inside dog never stops shedding. Outside dogs get a winter coat on them and do not shed very much in the colder weather, but inside dogs do not develop and retain the thicker coat because the inside temps that are comfortable for us in the winter are actually kinda warm for them.

RayG

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:42 pm

We seem to be able to control the shedding with good food and once a month bathing. Our gsp is a half in/half out dog and has a fairly long liver/roan coat. I won't say the shedding is completely eliminated, but we don't notice it. We do have a Dyson Animal vac and that works great with very little hair in the canister after my wife vacuums.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:47 pm

You might want to contact some people with the Gulf Coast German Shorthair Club. Take your wife to meet them and have her talk to the woman of the "house". I think she will find that shedding is a minimal issue..We have three that spend about 60% of the time in the house with us. No big issue here..

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:26 pm

We have a white/liver GSP and a roan GSP and it seems the white sheds more but I think it is just because it shows up more. Regular bathing and brushing keep it tolerable.
I think once you fall in love with whatever breed you decide the shedding issue becomes minimal and tolerable.After all nobody is perfect.