In-Laws, Whiskey.

prairiefirepointers

In-Laws, Whiskey.

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 pm

I was thumbing through my newest edition of Gun Dog magazine this afternoon, when I found something that caught my eye.. Not so much because of what it was, but the novelty of it. BIRDDOG WHISKEY. A whole page advertisement, with an impressive looking bottle, inviting color, and aestetically pleasing label donning an English Pointer.. A perfect Piece for me to add to my collection of birddog houseware, since I likely wont drink it (not much for the hard stuff, I much prefer my Natty or Bud Light). It gets me wondering though, If it tastes as good as it looks... Hmmm. Perhaps this is just what I need to make it through a Thanksgiving at my In-Laws!

If I can find it, I might just have to give it a try. :mrgreen:
http://birddogwhiskey.com/BD4.html
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: In-Laws, Whiskey.

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:48 am

I saw that also! My good friend owns a liquor store I am going to see if he can get some.

BrassVols

Post by BrassVols » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:07 am

I can be in Bowling Green in about 45 mins., may have to head north and take the tour!
One of their ad signs would certainly look good in the man cave!

redman25

Post by redman25 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:04 am

Yes sir! Not sure about blackberry whiskey, but they got me with the marketing for sure. I'll be acquiring a bottle asap.... 8)

A/C Guy

Buyer Beware

Post by A/C Guy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:58 pm

I was looking for some beer one day last year, something different to try. I found a label I hadn't seen before, Black Lab. Had a nice picture and some anecdotal writing to appeal to the bird dog owner. It was the worst tasting beer that I ever had the misfortune drink. Yuk! gave away the other 5 bottles.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Buyer Beware

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:28 pm

A/C Guy wrote:I was looking for some beer one day last year, something different to try. I found a label I hadn't seen before, Black Lab. Had a nice picture and some anecdotal writing to appeal to the bird dog owner. It was the worst tasting beer that I ever had the misfortune drink. Yuk! gave away the other 5 bottles.
Ha ha we tried it also...blah up till that point I wasn't sure you could get worse than Miller light boy was I wrong!

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:04 pm

What is blackberry whiskey :?: Ky just makes this stuff to sell out of state :lol:

up-hunter

Post by up-hunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm

I seen a bottle in the local grocery store here in the UP, thought about buying it for the bottle and letting my friends drink the whiskey.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Saw it the other day, but not so sure about a blackberry whiskey. Some fuzzy blackberry brandy memories (or so i've been told) from the college days...

PFP, I know of where you can get it an hr east of you. If you really want it I could deliver it while passing thru. PM me if interested.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:58 pm

MuddyCreek,

I gotta meet a guy in Goddard tomorrow.. Does somebody carry it in Wichita?
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:26 pm

I checked out the website the other day to see about ordering some, the website is not complete yet. I am headed to Nashville next week and am going to stop a few places in Kentucky to try and find some. If nothing else the bottle.

You have to remember it is blackberry flavored whiskey......not blackberry whiskey, big difference.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:10 am

Their website is indeed still under construction, but while googling I found that you can buy it at bizrate.com. It came up about 5 links down when I searched bird dog whiskey. 25.99 for a fifth. It's the same price as Crown Royal.... :roll:

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm

PFP-sorry just got back from a little trip out west. Flint Hills Liquor in Andover has it. Saw it last week while looking for a host appreciation gift. I'll check again to see about price and who is distributing it so maybe you can get it out there.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:58 am

I had a friend bring a bottle of that up to Bow camp a few weeks ago...................let's just say that the bottle is the best thing about that product.

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Bird Dog 67 wrote:I had a friend bring a bottle of that up to Bow camp a few weeks ago...................let's just say that the bottle is the best thing about that product.
:lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Bird Dog 67 wrote:I had a friend bring a bottle of that up to Bow camp a few weeks ago...................let's just say that the bottle is the best thing about that product.
I can't say I am surprised... I still want a bottle.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Want something that's pretty dang good PLUS it comes in a bottle that looks like it's straight out of the old west ...............Snake River Stampede,super SMOOTH and it's one you can hit right out the bottle warm and not get a little case of heebie jeebies.I think it's better than Crown by a bunch and it's also better than Pendelton.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:25 am

Wildweeds wrote:Want something that's pretty dang good PLUS it comes in a bottle that looks like it's straight out of the old west ...............Snake River Stampede,super SMOOTH and it's one you can hit right out the bottle warm and not get a little case of heebie jeebies.I think it's better than Crown by a bunch and it's also better than Pendelton.
Do they have birddogs embossed on the labeling? That's kinda the theme of interest here. I don't think anyone expects it to be very good as far as drinking quality, We all just want the bottle! :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am

I think it's better than Crown
... if you have to compare it to crown, it can't be that good. I'm guessing it is a blended Canadian whiskey? Famous Grouse is a pretty darn good blended Scotch for the $$, and it comes with an excellent bottle.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed May 25, 2011 11:18 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:
Wildweeds wrote:Want something that's pretty dang good PLUS it comes in a bottle that looks like it's straight out of the old west ...............Snake River Stampede,super SMOOTH and it's one you can hit right out the bottle warm and not get a little case of heebie jeebies.I think it's better than Crown by a bunch and it's also better than Pendelton.
Do they have birddogs embossed on the labeling? That's kinda the theme of interest here. I don't think anyone expects it to be very good as far as drinking quality, We all just want the bottle! :D
I bought a bottle this past weekend not expecting much... Me and a friend polished off the whole thing I thought it was darn good.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 am

How does it drink? I mean does it have a tail?

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 am

This is one for the shelf, aesthetics only!

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed May 25, 2011 11:54 am

Chukar12 wrote:How does it drink? I mean does it have a tail?
I first mixed it with Pepsi then the second was Just on the rocks I thought it was good either way.

BrassVols

Post by BrassVols » Wed May 25, 2011 12:56 pm

Chukar12 wrote:How does it drink? I mean does it have a tail?
Apparently it depends on what you are accustomed to, kind of reminded me of Southern Comfort from the college days. Looks good in the cabinet though!

asc

Post by asc » Wed May 25, 2011 3:44 pm

isonychia wrote:
I think it's better than Crown
... if you have to compare it to crown, it can't be that good. I'm guessing it is a blended Canadian whiskey? Famous Grouse is a pretty darn good blended Scotch for the $$, and it comes with an excellent bottle.
X2 on the grouse....
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed May 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Gentleman Jack had a nice bottle last season. It had a pheasant scene etched into it and said 2011 South Dakota Pheasant Season. I picked up 1 as a gift and then had to get another 6 for guys in the group who wanted the bottle. Good sales tactic.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:15 am

Think I will stick with my Wild Turkey 101. Not above drinking some American Honey though. :D

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu May 26, 2011 4:59 am

tried some at a trial a couple weeks ago... I'm not a whiskey drinker at all, but that stuff was pretty good. But I'd think if you are a hardcore, dedicated whiskey type of person, you would think it was kind of sweet.
Cool bottle!!!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 am

Like Scotch, this drink would be likely to work well on disinfecting wounds, freeing stuck lugnuts or helping great-aunt Sally's lumbago....otherwise, Irish whisk(e)y such as Redbreast or the smoothest Jameson's are far better choices to place inside a human body.
Either one will permit you to swallow without wincing.

I believe there are drinks and bottles, like this, to appeal to Troutfisherman and others so trying to hit a birdhunter niche seems expected....maybe a spoonfull or two of sugar mixed in pipe tobacco will be next...no wait, there is Sugar Barrel.

However, if one is interested in collecting all things birddog than pipe tobacco tins often feature birddogs....Granger's being the first to mind.
Nording had some as well....there are others.
Tamp any such product in a discontinued LL Bean briar and one could venture forth into the uplands content in being properly set for a day...."set like a nurse's cap", as Phil Harris used to say.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu May 26, 2011 7:24 am

Like Scotch, this drink would be likely to work well on disinfecting wounds, freeing stuck lugnuts or helping great-aunt Sally's lumbago....otherwise, Irish whisk(e)y such as Redbreast or the smoothest Jameson's are far better choices to place inside a human body.
Irish and Canadian whiskeys are so smooth you don't even taste them, I prefer the flavor side of things. Can't beat a good bourbon or scotch IMO. If I had to narrow my choices down to two:

Glenmorangie

Woodford's Reserve

Of course there is a variety of Glenmorangie out there.

BrassVols

Post by BrassVols » Fri May 27, 2011 9:32 am

isonychia wrote:
Irish and Canadian whiskeys are so smooth you don't even taste them, I prefer the flavor side of things. Can't beat a good bourbon or scotch IMO. If I had to narrow my choices down to two:

Glenmorangie

Woodford's Reserve

Of course there is a variety of Glenmorangie out there.
X2 on the Woodford!