Submissive/Aggressive

rkappes

Submissive/Aggressive

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:09 am

Anyone know of a link on GDF that deals with a dog being aggressive on leash but submissive off? When our dog is on leash or someone knocks on our door for example she carries on and seems protective/aggressive. Not sure if she thinks she needs to protect us or what. Off the leash running she's very submissive. she'll approach dogs in a submissive manner. Not sure how to handle it. Any help would be appreciated.

k2k

Re: Submissive/Aggressive

Post by k2k » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:55 am

If you can, pick up a copy of The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell. I found a copy at the library. There's info regarding your very situation in there. Also, another good read is If Dog's Prayers Were Answered, Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier. I just got done with that one too. The opening page is priceless! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both made alot of sense to me.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:17 am

+1 on McConnell. If it escalates, then check out some of the behavioral work of Dr. Karen Overall, DVM. She's a bit controversial, but she gets results.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Great, thanks for the info! It hasn't escalated yet, hopefully it won't. Another couple examples are when we go to my girlfriends parents house Jersey will guard our car from their lab and the same goes if another dog gets to close to our golf cart, she barks and carries on. She's never attacked any other dog, if she did she wouldn't be with us anymore. Thanks again!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:48 pm

A dog on a nice down stay staked out won't guard anything. The girl needs some reassurance that it's not her job to guard things. You might try giving her a security chew toy, like a Kong or Busy Buddy so she knows staying put and calm is a good thing.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:45 am

Cajun Casey wrote:A dog on a nice down stay staked out won't guard anything.
Not sure what this means?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:45 am

rkappes wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:A dog on a nice down stay staked out won't guard anything.
Not sure what this means?
The dog needs to learn appropriate behavior, like staying calm in a crate, on a tie out, in a dog box, or in a specific area of your home. When you teach the pup to kennel or settle, then he has a job and he won't be so anxious to act out a job of his own choosing, like guarding space or resources. I use high value treats and attention to teach these behaviors. Some people just let them have a hissy fit until they wear out on a tie out or in a crate, then release them.

A dog that has been trained to do something should do it until released, and that includes staying calmly put in place. The NAVHDA Green Book has some good information on this.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:49 pm

rkappes wrote:Anyone know of a link on GDF that deals with a dog being aggressive on leash but submissive off? When our dog is on leash or someone knocks on our door for example she carries on and seems protective/aggressive. Not sure if she thinks she needs to protect us or what. Off the leash running she's very submissive. she'll approach dogs in a submissive manner. Not sure how to handle it. Any help would be appreciated.
What is wrong with this behavior. It is quite natural for dogs to protect what they think is theirs. Sounds like your pup,even though she is submissive, is willing to risk herself to either protect you and yours or at least pretend to. Just not sure this is bad as long as she doesn't show viscious behavior such as biting.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:04 am

ezzy333 wrote:
rkappes wrote:Anyone know of a link on GDF that deals with a dog being aggressive on leash but submissive off? When our dog is on leash or someone knocks on our door for example she carries on and seems protective/aggressive. Not sure if she thinks she needs to protect us or what. Off the leash running she's very submissive. she'll approach dogs in a submissive manner. Not sure how to handle it. Any help would be appreciated.
What is wrong with this behavior. It is quite natural for dogs to protect what they think is theirs. Sounds like your pup,even though she is submissive, is willing to risk herself to either protect you and yours or at least pretend to. Just not sure this is bad as long as she doesn't show viscious behavior such as biting.

Ezzy
Well , yeah I agree, I just wanted to get other peoples input. I don't mind that she is protective just as long as it doesn't escalate to anything worse. She hasn't shown any viscious behavior such as biting. My parents stopped by yesterday and she started barking etc..when they knocked on the door. I made her sit and wait while the door was opened and my parents came in. Once she saw who it was she quit and smothered them with love. I think sometimes she get's so excited that the noises she makes seem intimidating. Thanks again everyone for the input. I plan on picking up that book on Monday, never hurts to learn.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:44 am

ezzy333 wrote: What is wrong with this behavior. It is quite natural for dogs to protect what they think is theirs. Sounds like your pup,even though she is submissive, is willing to risk herself to either protect you and yours or at least pretend to. Just not sure this is bad as long as she doesn't show viscious behavior such as biting.

Ezzy
While the above is perhpas true, what is acceptable behavior is the behavior YOU the owner allow. If it is worrying or bothering you, and I think it should, then you are worried that she'll maybe get into an issue with another dog. At the very least it's embarrassing you. This suggests that this behavior is not controlled by you. The problam lies in the fact that you could not stop an issue, if you wanted to, at this point. THAT is what needs to change. You need to remind her that enough is enough. She is seeing you as backing her up, and she needs to know that when she acts like this you are NOT backing her up. Give her a command like "down" and teach her to "hush." she will not feel so tough in a down position, and you will be reminding her what's what. I'd venture to say that when she acts like this she will not listen to you if you commanded her to "down" (lie down) and again, THAT's the problem. You need to establish a way to keep her knowing that you disaprove, AND teach her what you want her to do instead.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Like Cajun said, she thinks it's her job, and anytime you don't correct her for it you're confirming it. You just have to show her she doesn't have to do it, a lot of times they are relieved!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:12 am

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help/input. Since my last post our dog has done a 180. If she starts to carry on whether on leash, in the house or in the car we give her a sharp "NO" or "Knock it off" and she settles down and she now also allows other dogs in the car with her. Thanks again for the help, we appreciate it very much!
Last edited by rkappes on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:02 am

That's good! Thanks for letting us know. 8)