Fiber Pro trailers

gittrdonebritts

Fiber Pro trailers

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:26 pm

I've been looking at one like how it looks, anyone have Pro's or con's they would like to share ?

Coveyrise64

Re: Fiber Pro trailers

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Haven't seen their trailers but one of the boxes I've seen had a hole chewed in the side and the door hinges were broken. Nice idea but not very sturdy would be my opinion.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Good to know my Ep will search for any way possible to get out of anything.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:00 pm

If its made of fiberglass, I'd be out. There's no way I'd spend the kinda coin you're going to spend on a dog trailer, to have it chewed up, or a hole knocked in it. Besides that, I would think that a fiberglass bodied trailer would be exceptionally light... perhaps to its detriment. I wonder how it would pull? I would think without weight to it, that it would bounce, shimmy, and be a not so smooth & comfy ride. JMO
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

bowhunter1221975

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:09 pm

i would have to say that is pretty much how i feel
prairiefirepointers wrote:If its made of fiberglass, I'd be out. There's no way I'd spend the kinda coin you're going to spend on a dog trailer, to have it chewed up, or a hole knocked in it. Besides that, I would think that a fiberglass bodied trailer would be exceptionally light... perhaps to its detriment. I wonder how it would pull? I would think without weight to it, that it would bounce, shimmy, and be a not so smooth & comfy ride. JMO
RICHARD NANCE

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:20 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:If its made of fiberglass, I'd be out. There's no way I'd spend the kinda coin you're going to spend on a dog trailer, to have it chewed up, or a hole knocked in it. Besides that, I would think that a fiberglass bodied trailer would be exceptionally light... perhaps to its detriment. I wonder how it would pull? I would think without weight to it, that it would bounce, shimmy, and be a not so smooth & comfy ride. JMO
Yeah now that i think about it, probably wouldn't pull so good, I'm having trouble finding a trailer i like :? I'd settle for a topper but a topper for my truck would cost more than a trailer and wouldn't give me as much storage space.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:27 pm

I don't have any experience with the Fibre Pro product, but IMO fibreglass in an underrated material for dog trailers and toppers.

No material is perfect; they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Having seen $40k chassis boxes made by the biggest names in the industry with busted welds, popped rivets and rusted floorpans after only months (and sometimes just weeks) of use, I'd be quick to say that one material is always better than another.

I've spent a lot of time around a fiberglass topper from another manufacturer which has been used daily for the last 15 years. That thing has held together better than almost every 15 year old metal topper I know with similar usage.

JMO,
Dave

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:41 am

Fiberglass, in a proper thickness (3/8"-1/2") to be suitable for the wear and tear of a dog trailer, would be heavier than aluminum unless some type of cored sandwich panel construction is used. I can't argue one way or another about the brand you have asked about, but I work in the aircraft industry where we are transforming to composite materials which actually withstand stress loads better than metals. Plus, we can form them more perfectly to shape.

The keys to good fiberglass work are the molds used, the lay-up process, the epoxies used to hold it together, and the cure process. Well executed, it could be used to make outstanding dog trailers.

Bassboats hold up pretty well I think... :wink: