Vizsla Info

mudpuppy1299

Vizsla Info

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:16 pm

I am currently in the process of narrowing down my puppy choices. I would like a versatile gun dog as I will be hunting upland and possibly waterfowl in Michigan, partridge and pheasant in Wyoming and possibly a combination hunt in Nebraska or Iowa. This will be my first gun dog. I would like to do the training myself; I have no experience with working gun dogs but I do have a background in obedience and agility. Several individuals have recommended GSP. I am also looking at Vizslas (smooth and wirehaired). I was some Vizsla owners could give me some info on ease of training, temperment in the home, etc. Thanks!

OhioVizsla

Re: Vizsla Info

Post by OhioVizsla » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 pm

I've owned & trained two of both, shorthairs & vizslas. Overall, the vizslas were calmer, easier to train, & better in the house. That's not to say they all are. I wouldn't hesitate in getting either for the hunting, upland & waterfowl, that you mentioned. Both breeds are bird finders, given the right breeding & training. I got my last V from Jon Peck in Michigan.

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:35 pm

I live 10 minutes from John and will hopefully be visiting his kennels in the near future; it's nice to see a good reference. How are your dogs around strangers and children? He/she will accompany me to work on a daily basis and will need to be good around people. The dog will be hunted but first and foremost will be a companion. Thanks for your help.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Only experience is with Vizslas. The are incredibly affectionate---sometimes to much so! I love the breed but they can be soft talk to your breeder and make sure the dog you get matches your training style. They do best as an in door dog as they love to be around people.
Doyle

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:01 pm

Every trial I've judged, the handlers would get upset if the other handler got verbal with their own dog. I've also seen some nice dogs from European breeding. They handle pressure a little better.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:05 pm

You may want to add PPs and DDs to your list. Very versatile dogs, and more fur than the V or the GSP for waterfowl hunting. Nothing against the V or GSP, they are fine dogs.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:51 pm

they are very affectionate, they are not nick named the Velcro dog for nothing.

Also, I would like to suggest Rockwood Kennels in WI. The guy is big in NAVDHA, which is more heavily into waterfowl. I have heard good things about him, but have no direct experience. But he is in your neck of the woods and uses the dogs for the same thing that you would.

V's are great around people. My boy will lay down in the floor and snuggle up to almost anyone. Great with my niece's and nephew's, but with strange kids he is a little skiddish, for a moment or two. After he gets that first lick in he is great.

From my experience, V's do really want to please you so they can be easy to train. I stress can,because all dogs are different. That can also make them a little softer than some other versatile dogs.

good luck on the decision,
brandon

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:55 pm

I know our vizsla loves people and kids but for your area, I think I would look into a wirehaired vizsla. They can handle the cold a little better but a little different in hunting style and personality. Deb Wall would be a good person to ask questions. If you google wirehaired vizsla, I think her website is listed.

Carla

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:17 pm

I have two smooth Vizslas and a Wirehaired Vizsla. Would be glad to answer any specific questions you have about either. As others have said, they are very much into their people. Most of your pointing dogs were bred to be that way, so go with what you feel would be best for you and what you like to look at. Most people with bird dogs are very into their breed and would not want anything else, so those that have Brits will recommend them and those that have GSPs will point you that way. The one thing to remember is that most versitle breeds are similar.

When we moved to Nebraska I wanted a dog that would handle the cold better, that is the reason that we went with the WHV. All three of our dogs live in the house and are around our daughter who just turned two. If the dog is raised in the house and given boundries than they should do fine. Knowing obedience will help you and it should be installed from a young age. The most important thing is to make sure the dog is well socialized.

Jeff

tro182

Post by tro182 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:52 pm

We are getting a WHV from Deb Wall in Jan. We wanted a wirehaired because of less shedding in the house. The wirehaired on average tend to be a little more laid back. Depending on what you are looking for amd breeders in you area there are lots of good breeds out there. I would look into the grifs too....we may have looked into these more but the breeding situation is not that great real close to me.

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:07 am

I field trial vizslas, hunt with them, and do rescue with Vizsla rescue.

With that being said, just some advice.

#1. Do your homework. Make sure the dog comes from PROVEN lines with proven parents. In rescue, I see a lot of crap out there, from breeders just trying to make a buck. The number of vizslas that I get in rescue that I would hunt behind is very minimal.
#2. They are very affectionate, and a lot of the rescues will follow me everywhere.
#3. Cold weather. As long as they can keep moving, they are ok. Sitting in a blind, not so much. I was hunting about a week ago in rain/cold weather. My oldest V got hypothermic. Scary situation, but simply did not have the coat to contend with the wet. You really have to be careful.
#4. Did I mention proven lines?
#5. If you are looking at a wirehair V, Deb Wall is the way to go. She knows her stuff.
#6. Good luck. If you are interested in specific breeders, drop a line and I can recommend a few breeders.

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:49 am

Mudpuppy,
My V is great in the house & around people/strangers, you'd never know he is a bird dog. He is very affectionate & loves kids. But you take out in the field/marsh & he's all business. It's like he flips a switch. He never quits hunting. I hunted him all day long /6 days straight in SD & he never gave up hunting, or quit running.

You won't go wrong with Jon Peck, he's a stand-up guy, with a great line of V's. My dogs out of Cisco, an AFC & FC.