Why is a registered dog worth more than a Non registered dog

Eric

Why is a registered dog worth more than a Non registered dog

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:21 pm

Why is a AKC or FDSB registered dog worth more than a Non registered dog? I know that this is true but what are all the specific reasons?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:32 pm

It tells me what the breeding is that produced my dog so I know what to expect from it and it also tells other people what the breeding is so they know what to expect of any pups the dog produces.

Without a pedigree there is no way to know what produced the dog or what it will produce. It's like knowing what color a marble is when you are blindfolded.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:11 pm

It's like knowing what color a marble is when you are blindfolded.
I don't know about that.

It's like knowing you got authentic product instead of tainted or knock-off product. Ex: Buying a real gucci handbag and getting a knock-off. You know the real thing is going to last, is quality and is as advertised. The knock-off may look the part and act the part, but you just don't know if it will last, fade, fall apart. Gucci will stand by their product. The knock-off will be there to make the buck and then gone.

I would assume you are talking about pups, as there is probably more of a market for them then adult dogs.

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:18 pm

a Authenticates the breeding

b Assigns a distinctive name that is not dublicated

c Assures a permanent record of pertinent facts

d Increases desirability of the dog as an individual

e Enhances value of the dog for breeding purposes

f Enables a complete compilation of the winning record

g Makes possible a certified pedigree

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:00 pm

also to add those Most of those who take breeding seriously will make sure they are giving the people who purchase pups a quality bred dog and by those Papers it is one way to show the breeding the other thing about those papers is showing the background of the pup

anyone just breeding unpapered pups do nothing more then help fill rescue's and the pounds and do nothing to help promote the breed at all but then again i know many who have papered pups also that are nothing more then bonifide puppy mills
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

larue

Post by larue » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:33 am

very simply,it allows the dog to participate in orginized
events,such as navhda,hunt tests,field trials,ect,ect.
Without registration you cannot do any of the above.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:32 am

How much more would a registered dog be worth? Percentage wise.

Tallgrass

Post by Tallgrass » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:39 am

That would be a hard question to answer, because a dogs worth is directly related to how much someone would pay. I've seen unregistered labs go for $50. There's a kennel selling english/british labs for $1500.00. I don't think either are worth the money. The unregistered dog has no garranty what it's parents are, therefore I don't know if the dogs will have the capability to do what I require of it, and the British lab is being sold by someone that is taking advantage of the current fad (My Opinion) So...it's impossible to answer your question. Check out the classifieds in your local paper, that should give you an idea. Also do some research on the net and look for kennels selling dogs that you're interested in. They maybe more reputable than a backyard breeder and probably sell their dogs for a few more bucks.

pear

Post by pear » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:18 am

I'd say you've ask the one question that has no true answer... Most folks interested in hunting dogs would settle for nothing less than a registered dog. (For all the above, mentioned reasons) Yes I know there are exceptions. However we've all seen registered dogs that aren't worth the paper the registration is printed on. When it comes to paying money for a dog it’s a very unpredictable game. Many factors play into why I’d pay a given price for a dog and the same reasons may play into why the next guy wouldn’t even consider a dog. Just my perspective…”pear”
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Huntumup

Post by Huntumup » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:26 am

If you are going to get an unregisterd dog (a hunting companion). I would first check your local animal shelter / pound. There are many good dogs out there that need to be addopted IMO. Some of them may already be trained a little and the owner moved and could not take the dog with them, or the dog got lost while hunting.

I can tell you what I would pay for a registered dog from a good breeder is $500 I couldn't afford more that and I probably wouldn't if I could. Don't buy a registerd pup from a person who is just breeding pups to make money. I feel that when I buy a registered pup it is a breeder that is taking the smartest dog he has and breeding it with the other smartest dog so that the litter is all intelligent, good looking dogs.

When you spend good money on your hunting companion you also feel assured that the breeder has taken his breeding seriously to make sure that the litter will try his hardest to prevent health defects that are passes on from father/mother to son like hip displacia or other health issues that will cost $1000's of dollars to fix with the vet. This is why you need a good reputable breeder.

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:06 pm

Eric wrote:How much more would a registered dog be worth? Percentage wise.
There is no "worth" to a dog just because it has a number on a piece of paper.

Now, when you add in health clearance certificates, guarantees and show the sire and dam are proven to conform to their breed standard and are able to perform the "duty" they are intended for, then that makes a dog "worth" something.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 pm

larue wrote:very simply,it allows the dog to participate in orginized
events,such as navhda,hunt tests,field trials,ect,ect.
Without registration you cannot do any of the above.

And any progeny can not ever do any of the above either.

Marg

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:56 pm

I would agree, for me papers show the intent of the breeder, like health certificates it shows the breeder is TRYING to give the BEST BET to assure a good dog. Nothing is 100% and that includes breeding, but there are odds that can be increased. I am sure there are unregistered dog that are great in every aspect but I would not breed one. Just playing the odds. :D My .02
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:34 pm

my dog is unregistered and i couldn't ask for more in a dog i got him as a pup and wouldn't give him up for the world....