beeper on ecollar wont scare the birds?!

Elias

beeper on ecollar wont scare the birds?!

Post by Elias » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:12 am

wont the sound of the beeper on the collar make the pointed birds flush?!?!

live4point

Re: beeper on ecollar wont scare the birds?!

Post by live4point » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:36 am

I don't like them in pheasant country.I haven't seen the beep make them flush,but I sure think it makes them run.I have got along fine with them on quail,but usually where I hunt is combo country,quail and pheasant,so I dont use one.

Elias

Post by Elias » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:28 am

Exactly what i was thinkin, i ll get my new ecollar and beeper soon and we will c how it will do on woodcok!

north country guy

Post by north country guy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:53 am

Elies.. My Britt Pointed Hundreds Of Those Mud-Suckers This Last Fall . Beeper On Every One . And Never Seen One Scare Off Due To The Beeper . I Do Prefer To Run Mine On The Point Mode Only :D

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:42 am

That is why I chose the Astro GPS unit. Silent and very long range. It allows the dogs to work freely and I can find them easily. I've heard of people losing dogs due to wind noise and the dog getting out of hearing range.

Having hunted recently for pheasant, I saw the pheasant run from all types of conditioned noises. Car doors closing, people talking, dog whistles, bells, etc. Some of the birds where 150 yards from the sounds, but as soon as the birds heard those sounds they were off and running or flying to the next county.

If the birds are hunted regularly by a dog with a beeping collar, the birds will learn very quickly that beeping = hunter.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:50 am

Astro all the way. I HATE BEEPERS! They spook late season pheasants like crazy. I have witnessed it over and over.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Elias

Post by Elias » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:01 pm

there is always the silent option....i think ill use the beeper on quails and woodcoks and ill put it off on chukars.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:50 pm

I have used a beeper for probley the last 8-10 years... I like the Sportdog one most of all but have never noticed any ill effects on birds. I run it on the hawk scream. Point mode only also...

I have thought about running one collar with it screaming every 5 seconds or so just to stop the birds.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Grouse move ahead, hold or flush based on cover change....or that big guy stompin' thru the alders or cussin' thru the greenbriers.
So, point only beeper is OK for grouse and no issue at all for woodcock....full on beepers are a bit odd tho.
But the Astro works in heavy cover, if one can hear it beep...I can't, so I add a bell and go that route.
Did not use a beeper last season for ruffed grouse...no bad issues and it was less to buckle on....the decision was made easier since the best beeper is no longer made.

Don't think anyone believes that quiet is not tops for pheasants.

I had a hawk scream on a beeper...felt like throwing it in a bog.

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I use the beeper on point only but i also put the bell on.works great for grouse and woodcock.
it does sometimes seem to make weary phez run tho.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:05 am

My pointer stud hates beepers, so I never run one on him. I have been contemplating putting a bell on one of my dogs. I'm currently hunting my Stud and his 2yro Son. They are almost identical. Unless you are right on top of them you can't tell em apart. I was going to put a Green Mendota Safety Collar on the younger dog, but he has a nice leather collar. I thought I'd just run a bell on him. Never ran one before though.. Does anyone think a bell will make the pheasant leary? 90% of all birds killed on my hunts are pheasants, so if they'll run with a bell, that's a no go.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 am

I use Cabelas beeper collar. It has diff modes. I use point mode only with a small bell. Hate hearing the beeper. Would like to have just a locator beeper on that cabelas. It is the toughest most simple beeper I have seen.

Does not effect the Ruffs or the wood cock.

I had one of those sport dogs with the Hawk screem. Leaning back in my chair at the kitchen table, I put the batteries in and hit the button to the hear the sounds, not realizing there was a hawk screem, It was so loud and scared the living HE11 out of me and I went right over backwards on to the floor. My lord that was loud.

Anyway.
No problems, but have heard that pheasants are smarter than all other birds and will run from anything man made.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

bently

Post by bently » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:14 am

I have used a bell the past two years in NE and SD. I think the bird numbers in SD are enough that even though the bell may scare them up earlier, there is a dumber phez in the field somewhere. In NE with the low bird numbers i need all the advantage i can get. I have decided to get a gps for next year and go silent.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 am

No

Elias

Post by Elias » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:46 am

Ruffshooter wrote:
I had one of those sport dogs with the Hawk screem. Leaning back in my chair at the kitchen table, I put the batteries in and hit the button to the hear the sounds, not realizing there was a hawk screem, It was so loud and scared the living HE11 out of me and I went right over backwards on to the floor. My lord that was loud.

Rick
LOL!!! i dont know about that hawk screem, i saw an add for it, i dunno if its effective.

live4point

Post by live4point » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:My pointer stud hates beepers, so I never run one on him. I have been contemplating putting a bell on one of my dogs. I'm currently hunting my Stud and his 2yro Son. They are almost identical. Unless you are right on top of them you can't tell em apart. I was going to put a Green Mendota Safety Collar on the younger dog, but he has a nice leather collar. I thought I'd just run a bell on him. Never ran one before though.. Does anyone think a bell will make the pheasant leary? 90% of all birds killed on my hunts are pheasants, so if they'll run with a bell, that's a no go.
I really think a bell spooks them also.If you have dogs that you can pretty much handle without saying a word and using hand signals I think a guy is better off.The quiter the better!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:00 pm

How the heck can your 24" tall dog see the handler in 30" grass or CRP or 6'0" milo or corn? Only been Wild Pheasant hunting once in Dec. in KS and never could see my dog till They passed close or went on point, having bells and beepers to locate them. I can see how a GPS or tracker would work well.

In the Ruff woods, I can not handle the dogs in the woods with out my whistle or (voice (which I don't like to do, I do not like speaking in the woods) Two toots once in while is better. Hand signals are good if they can see you. Not to often possible. Need a bell or beeper to find them. Folks say the GSP works good in the tite cover with an overhead canopy, maybe so, but I don't have 600 to spend so a simple beeper and bell is good enough. I also don't like gadgets.

Rick

DSemple

Post by DSemple » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 pm

We hunt pheasant in very heavy, tall and dense cover in SD. (20 second single beep, hawk call on point). The beeper may cause a few wild flushes a day for us, but we could never keep track of our dogs without them in the type of cover we hunt and I think we actually have fewer wild flushes because we are able to know immediately when a dog is on point and move in more quickly.

Spent 60 minutes looking and calling for a Brittany shoe polisher on point that was only 30 yards away from us this last Saturday because the owner insisted his dog didn't range far enough to need a beeper. That's one hardheaded dumb sob never going with us again.

Tritronics beeper is more durable and waterproof.
Cabela's sounds better but doesn't handle water and snow.

Don
I'm always happy when I make it thru another bird season with my dogs, my gun and my truck.

It's an added plus if I manage to keep my wife, my house or my job.

live4point

Post by live4point » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:18 pm

I have used bells myself,but I usually get by fine without one,and like I said I think the quiter the better on pheasant.Bells don't help much when the dogs on point,I never could get a dog trained to stand there on point and shake his head so the bell would jingle :D .Bottom line is you do what you have to do,if you need a bell or a beeper,use one.If you can get by without one,all the better.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:16 pm

Don, the cabelas is waterproof and very durable, also works in snow although I must say you do need to clean the chamber out on occasion. I have had them for as long as I can remember, at least 9 years still have that one and works still to this day. I own two.

Bell gets you in the area if you pay attention. And on occasion I can't find a dog, I will make a noise or there name to get some movements. Works sometimes. :wink:

Rick

Rick

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:11 pm

bently wrote:I have used a bell the past two years in NE and SD. I think the bird numbers in SD are enough that even though the bell may scare them up earlier, there is a dumber phez in the field somewhere. In NE with the low bird numbers i need all the advantage i can get. I have decided to get a gps for next year and go silent.
Astro has changed my life. Simply the greatest invention for bird hunters since the E-collar. I actually value it more than my E-collars. :D

If you have to save money every month to own one do it. Total stealth, and you never have to worry where your dogs are again. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

DSemple

Post by DSemple » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:27 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Don, the cabelas is waterproof and very durable, also works in snow although I must say you do need to clean the chamber out on occasion. I have had them for as long as I can remember, at least 9 years still have that one and works still to this day. I own two.

Rick
I need to buy another new beeper right now, I'll go ahead on your recommendation and try another Cabela's again, I like their tone a lot better anyway. And, actually the Cabela's I've had before were waterproof, but the speaker would'nt work right when they got wet.

If the new one screws up when wet your not going to be invied for thanksgiving ever again!

Don
I'm always happy when I make it thru another bird season with my dogs, my gun and my truck.

It's an added plus if I manage to keep my wife, my house or my job.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 am

Elias,
We use the T&B collars in the Grouse woods all the time, seldom does the beeper bust a Grouse, every once in a great while it does happen, but its such a rarity
that it might happen once a season. We initiate every beep from the hand held however. We do not use the run/point option at all, we Grouse hunt as silent as possible.
RGD/Dave

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:31 pm

The H2O 1850 collar is pretty nice, it has a beeper button that can be controlled by the transmitter. One touch of the button and it gives a quick beep only when I need it. Those other beeper collars are either on or off and they do no good off so you have a beep every 5 seconds or on a point. I can also turn on a run or point mode if needed, but this locator button is the real deal.