Shotgun deer hunters

twofeathers

Shotgun deer hunters

Post by twofeathers » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:11 am

So I have a new pup that I personally have not fired a weapon around yet set up in our back yard during the day. Happened to look outside after hearing gunshots close to the house (Deer season). There stands a guy not more than 100yds away from my dogs shooting at deer running across the field. Put on my boots walked out there in shorts (and its cold) and proceeded to give this gentleman quite a tongue lashing. He couldn't have been more than 16years old. Janie was in her house so not sure if because she was scared or cold. Just wanted to vent I really am getting more and more sour about shotgun season around here seems every year gets worse. If that fella made my pup gun shy I will be very upset. I did not call the DNR because the more I thought about it I don't want any one shooting at my house out of spite. That was actually more of my wife's idea I already had the phone in hand. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Shotgun deer hunters

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 am

All depends upon wether the boy was legal in where he was standing and shooting.
If not then one has that more and more....and steps are available to reduce the occurence.
Fear for your house being shot or attempted injury from retaliation is a bit much, really. :roll:
Actually, the more woods rats killed the better here and if it can be done safely then thumbs up for the shotgun hunters.
Thumbs down for the dog-killing bowhunters tho.
I believe some 14 deer were killed on my place and adjoining properties this gun season...none by me as deer hunting is boring...but glad to see the deer reduced.
Hope your pup is fine.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:00 am

I don't think it is legal to shoot any firearm within 100 yes of an occupied dwelling. That would be more police and not so much dnr

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 am

Sorry to hear that Twofeathers. I bet she'll be fine. If you hear anything about a stolen trailcam over my way, let me know. Was taken Sunday, after it more than likely caught a trespasser cutting through private property. Would have been someone from a big group.
deer hunting is boring
Glad you got that out there, as I was laying awake wondering about your position on it. :roll:

Actually, the law here in Iowa is "you cannot discharge a firearm or shoot or attempt to shoot a game or furbearing animal within 200 yards of a building inhabited by people or domestic livestock or a feedlot unless the owner or tenant has given consent to do so." Of course the people doing it--aren't reading the rules. Growing up on a horse farm, my dad made some large wood signs posting that regulation and placed them on our fenceline on either end of a dirt road that bordered one side of our place. None of that road was huntable, due to that reg., but evidently a lot of folks can't read. Best one was when the farrier was midway through a trim, and shot rained down on the steel roof above us.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:01 am

ultracarry wrote:I don't think it is legal to shoot any firearm within 100 yes of an occupied dwelling. That would be more police and not so much dnr
In Arizona it's quarter of a mile.

100 yards is ridiculous, regardless of the law. That kid deserved a "memorable experience" shooting too close to the house.

If he were my kid, he'd be demoted down to brushbuster until he showed me he had better sense.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Don't be too hard on the young hunter. More often than not his dear old Dad sent him over that way or even told him where to stand. I also concur on not calling the authorities because if the young man made a mistake or was misled by an adult, that would be a real shame to put a game law violation on a decent kid. If the young man is any kind of sportsman, the talking to was enough. If not...there will come a time....

Different states have different laws regarding legal shooting distances from an occupied dwelling. However, I think 100 yards is about the lowest I know of for shotgun.

I suspect the dog will suffer no more long term ill effects than it would have from a thunderstorm.

RayG

remmy

Post by remmy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 pm

shadymeadows wrote:
ultracarry wrote:I don't think it is legal to shoot any firearm within 100 yes of an occupied dwelling. That would be more police and not so much dnr
Yep, dead on the money. Prosecution goes a long ways to reducing occurences!

If you do your job and make sure your pup is bird crazy and then make sure it is full on chasing birds when you introduce the gun so that it is focused on the bird, you will have your best chance at recovery if there is an issue.
In NJ, local or State Police don't have a thing to do with hunting laws. Hunting laws fall under DNR statutes and are enforced by Conservation Officers (Game Wardens) only.

The laws do vary by state. In NJ it's 150 yds from an occupied building.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:13 pm

wems2371 wrote:....
deer hunting is boring
Glad you got that out there, as I was laying awake wondering about your position on it. :roll:
Good night.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 pm

wems2371 wrote:
deer hunting is boring
:lol: :wink:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:26 pm

remmy wrote:
shadymeadows wrote:
Yep, dead on the money. Prosecution goes a long ways to reducing occurences!

If you do your job and make sure your pup is bird crazy and then make sure it is full on chasing birds when you introduce the gun so that it is focused on the bird, you will have your best chance at recovery if there is an issue.
In NJ, local or State Police don't have a thing to do with hunting laws. Hunting laws fall under DNR statutes and are enforced by Conservation Officers (Game Wardens) only.

The laws do vary by state. In NJ it's 150 yds from an occupied building.
That is the minimum. I live in Monmouth County NJ in a town that is a semi-rural 45 square miles and there is not one firearm discharge area. The general firearm season is just 6 days this year with a two buck limit.

There are more deer here than I have ever seen. All the county parks are close on Saturdays until noon so the pro hunters can thin the deer herds in the park.
Last edited by mcbosco on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Sorry to hear about your trail cam wems if I hear anything I will let you know. It is 200 yds. here as wems stated and the DNR would have been the proper authorities to call.

Was I a little harsh? Perhaps. Did I know this kid was so young. No. Like my wife said how far is 200 yds? Was it my fault for leaving the dogs outside knowing there would be people shooting. Yes. Am I frustrated at seeing some of the worst unethical, law breaking hunters during shotgun seasons. DANG SKIPPY. I really think they should extend the season or be rid of group ability to fill tags. Would be much different if people didn't feel the crunch for time or were all concerned about filling the 25 tags they spent hard earned money on in only 5 days. But you know how opinions are. :mrgreen:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:30 pm

I agree with Ray. This young man has not been taught proper hunting ethics, even if it was legal. These people give all hunters a bad name. I am betting your puppy will be fine, but that is beside the point.

Good luck,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Unless we are part of the solution, we are part of the problem. Any weapon discharged within 450 feet of a dwelling in NJ has been illegally discharged...done deal...call the authorities and have done with it. Those who do it once will do it again.....so cut 'em off from that possibility.

asc

Post by asc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Just curious.. If someone builds a house next to your property then you can't hunt that portion of your own land? (even if you have been hunting that fenceline/foodplot for years) I am assuming you are in a rural area...
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Nope... sucks. But you can bring the issue up with the city/county.

remmy

Post by remmy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:59 pm

asc wrote:Just curious.. If someone builds a house next to your property then you can't hunt that portion of your own land? (even if you have been hunting that fenceline/foodplot for years) I am assuming you are in a rural area...
Correct. Happens here all the time. It is frustrating.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

asc

Post by asc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:06 am

Ah that pup will be fine :) get her on some birds, then more birds, then a few more birds. When she is absolutly nuts about them shoot one and let her bring it back to you.

We killed a lot of deer, but didnt seem to make much of a dent in the herd.

I have tracked a wounded deer with my shorthair :) they bay like a hound.

Pheasant hunting Saturday. and second shotgun.
If someone builds a house next to your property then you can't hunt that portion of your own land?
Goes for trap and any other reason to shoot a gun so be careful where you shoot.

Had 2 pickups get onto a neighbors property, removed a chain across the lane, got stuck in teh mud, neighbor calls 911 deputy comes out and tickets all 4 guys with criminal tresspassing. City guys going hunting, thought nobody lived there?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

markj wrote: Had 2 pickups get onto a neighbors property, removed a chain across the lane, got stuck in teh mud, neighbor calls 911 deputy comes out and tickets all 4 guys with criminal tresspassing. City guys going hunting, thought nobody lived there?
Ha ha. Dang idjits. :roll:

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Funny thing about those city guys .... lots of them grew up on a farm but went for jobs in the cities. There are responsible & irresponsible city & country folks. Where we pheasant hunt in ND some local ranchers even have signs prohibiting resident hunters but allow non-residents on their land at no charge. Obviously they've had more problems with slob residents then with non-residents. They especially hate all trash, candy wrappers, pop & beer cans, plastic water bottles, ashtrays emptied on the approach to their fields. We check around the truck and pick up any trash that may have fallen out when we opened the doors because we'd like to be welcomed back & we don't want to screw it up for the next guys or gals. We've even picked up other hunters' trash for the same reasons.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:31 pm

BigShooter,

Around here its a few dang heathen teenage kids. They think its "fun" to cut deep ruts in the intersections of dirt roads with 4wheelers by spinning "kiddies", run thru the ditches with 4X4's and on the edge of private grounds every time we get some moisture. I've got private ground spread out in these area's and just the other day someone had apparently shoved what looked to be a 36" color tv set out of the back of their pickup at high speed.

Some of the slobs, if they want to hunt certain property and the landowner says "sorry, so and so has this leased up, or is hunting it" they will intentionally drive by it and throw out all kinds of garbage from pop cans and beer bottles to entire trashbags filled with refuse. Had that happen to my primary landowner when he took over a large farming lease and another guy wanted it real bad and didn't get it. :roll: :evil:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Sometime the "caddieness" of men is rediculous. Sounds like someone needs to give them a good but whoopin! In my town there were two roofers that would always compete. A big project for the school board came up and of course they were they top two contenders. The one that didnt win the contract had someone go to every sign the other guy had around town and paint it black...

Respect is a becoming more of a precious stone and less of a commodity

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:42 pm

Respect for others, like common sense, doesn't always seem so common anymore. :roll:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 am

Had a group of 5 rabbit hunters behind my house on a neighbors land (without permission) and were within about 30 yds. from my back door. I watched them and wasn't going to say anything until a bunny took off and ran through my yard. One of them swung his gun and went to shoot. I went out and told them to watch where they were aiming at. One got mouthy. The others told him to shut up. Off they went. Later in the day a sheriff's deputy and a lady knocked on my door asking if I had seen these so called "hunters" and could identify them if necessary. It turns out the mouthy one had shot and killed her fenced in German Shepherd down the road from my farm. He was later identified, arrested, and had nine warrants out for his arrest. In a way I guess I could have been that GS if things got out of hand.
I guess the morale of the story is to keep your cool.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.