Wild Chukar Training

Billinsd

Wild Chukar Training

Post by Billinsd » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:16 pm

My gsp is 3.5 yrs old, average size for a female, which is small. I trained her myself and have hunted Means and Valley quail with her. It took her a day and a half to figure out the Means and find them and point them. Then she did well. I don't think her nose is great, but I think part of the problem is insufficient wild bird hunting. On her first Chukar hunt in the Mohave desert it was warm and rugged. She did point a cover at 50 yards that wild flushed. I went out again on Saturday and she did not find a single bird. She did get a little bird a couple of times, and acted like she was following scent but then came back. The terrain was extremely rugged and another hunter I ran into said she looked nervous. I did give her plenty of water and took breaks. She is Extremely bird crazy and super intense. My question is how can I optimize her scenting potential? Someone once told me to keep her nose moist with a wet rag every 30 minutes, is this good or bad? How do you Chukar hunters that hunt all day hard train your dogs and what should I expect? Thanks Bill

cjuve

Re: Wild Chukar Training

Post by cjuve » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Best advice that I could give you is to wear out a few pairs of boots chasing the little boogers, there is nothing that you can teach your dog in the back yard that is going to do it any better. Chukar are a tough bird to hunt if for no other reason just because of where they like to hang out be patient and give your dog and yourself as much exposure to the red legged devil as possible and you will see more success.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 pm

+1 with CJUVE
Make sure she is in shape and give her time to adjust to the terrain. It is generally higher altitude, tougher footing and intimidating to a dog every bit as much as to a human... in time she will gain confidence and a desire to extract her revenge.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 pm

I want to know where you hunt Mearns and Valley Quail at the same time.

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:10 pm

kensfishing wrote:I want to know where you hunt Mearns and Valley Quail at the same time.
I don't. The Valleys are in San Diego and the Mearns.were by Sonoita, AZ

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:11 pm

What do you all think of wiping the dog's nose once in a while?

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm not saying it won't work, cause I don't know. Had bird dogs over 30 years, chased chukar every one of 'em, and never heard of doing it...worn out alot of boots though! :wink:

Now what I have heard, and from reliable, super knowledgable folks that earn their living doing bird dogs...that also aren't opposed to propagating a wives tale here and there either...is the best "man made" thing you can do to improve your dogs scenting ability is...{drumroll}...clean their teeth. Anyone...anyone...anyone??

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

4 out of 5 dentists recommend it....

Actually I have heard that as well and in fairness I have heard irrigating the nose with water helps. Anyhow this is what a couple of dry ground lion guys say....
But usually when I am hunting chukars on foot the dog and I need all the water I can pack to drink

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:44 am

Billinsd wrote:
kensfishing wrote:I want to know where you hunt Mearns and Valley Quail at the same time.
I don't. The Valleys are in San Diego and the Mearns.were by Sonoita, AZ
That explains the misunderstanding. I thought you were saying you shot them both in the same spot.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:54 am

I have heard the same thing about wetting the nose, maybe and maybe not. Down in the desert it's hot and dry, scent doesn't carry as well. Also the dog's probably get hot a lot easier, hydrate the dog. A hot dog does most its breathing thru it's mouth. To scent game it needs to breath thru it's nose.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Great info!!! Thanks everyone. Bill

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:27 pm

I tried it once on Sharptails in ND and things just got worse. I don't know!!!
Tom

ISAYWHOANOW

Post by ISAYWHOANOW » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:35 pm

How about soaking the dog al the way down and leaving the nose dry? That is what i do. I don't really know if it works or not but I have seen a covey or 2 over my wet dogs. Whats your experiences? 3 cc's of bute will also put a little pep in nervous dogs step.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:42 am

ISAYWHOANOW wrote:How about soaking the dog al the way down and leaving the nose dry? That is what i do. I don't really know if it works or not but I have seen a covey or 2 over my wet dogs. Whats your experiences? 3 cc's of bute will also put a little pep in nervous dogs step.
That is the best way by far to cool out the dog. Letting it drink water doesn't do a lot and pouring water on it's head and back doesn't do a lot more. Roll the dog over on the ground and pour the water on it's chest and belly that will do it. Watch dogs on a hot day at a trial that go to water. They drink some but most will jump in and swim around in the water. Get a dog hot the first time that won't do that and dunk it and it will start dunking itself. In fact, watch a hot dog with a mud puddle. They don't roll in the puddle, they lay on their belly in it.

Not so sure I'd give bute to a dog but then I don't believe in supplaments much. If good diet and conditioning don't do it, you either need a new diet or review your conditioning program; or both. Kinda like giving bute to an injured dog. Probably make it feel good as new and then out it goes to make the injury worse. We gave bute to horses lamed up for one reason or another then we let them heal.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!