Pigeon stuff

Don
GDF Junkie

Pigeon stuff

Post by Don » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Though some people might be intrested in this. I've had pigeons over 20yrs and have discovered I really don't know squat or a good place to get things I need.

http://www.siegelpigeons.com
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

gunner

Re: Pigeon stuff

Post by gunner » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks for sharing Don. Lots of good, interesting information at that site. Seems some of the pigeon racers are akin to bird dog field trialers in alot aways. I'm facinated in the birds but I'm too achy and feeble to get serious into the racing thing at this point of my life.

Audubon Christmas counts across the country are saying that Coopers Hawks have increased something like 500% in the last 20 years. I wonder what the serious pigeon guys think of that kind of increase....

Bill

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Most are thinking that they are fair game if no one is around. Think we all want to be conservationist and legal but when they get things so far out of babance it becomes a problem that could cause many to take care of the problem themselves.

Gunner, I agree with you about the birds and the breeding. No matter what kind of purebred stock you are raising, the principles are much the same. One of the differences I hear so often with our dogs is that pedigrees mean so little and in every other type of livestock the opposite is true. They put pedigrees ahead of individual performance when looking for breeding stock and that sure has been my experience especially when line breeding which most breeders adhere to very closely.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Hey Gunner. Not thinking about racing. I just bought a 6' x 10' enclosed trailer to set up a digital dark room in. Also recently got a new remote trap. Plan is to start attending trials with the thought of doing photography of the dogs and produce the photo's right there and carry some frames for impulse buyer's. To do that from long distence I want birds I can release up to 500 mi form home to take the dogs out and set them up. A dog hit's to soft I pop a couple birds on it and the dog gets tighter, makes a better photo! Few weeks ago I got three pairs of racers from a guy that does the 500mi races, that's the deal! Hopefully in about a year I'll also have racing homers to sell trialer's. Cheapest I saw on the internet was $135 for one bird. I can produce a pair for a whole lot less than that. I have trainer's and trialer's come around now and then wanting kill birds, I sell them ferals, to cheap. I've also given away a bunch of ferals to guy's wanting to start their own birds. Well the stakes go up next year with the real McCoy, racer's. I was searching "racing pigeons" and that site came up. I'm looking for leg bands. Turns out I can order them there and get them with my name, address and phone number on the band should one get lost. Lot of good infor on pigeons on that site too, would apply to all birds I would think.

Here's a couple sample's of my photo's and frames I make. The dog is my Bodie. First is an 11x14 and second is a 12x30 in b&w. Both were set up in a small starting field I have here at home. The 11 x 14 would cost about $75 matted and framed. The 12 x 30 aabout $180 matted and framed. I don't know if you know Nancy whitehead or not. She looked at them and really liked them. She photo shoot's AF trials for a living.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:08 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Most are thinking that they are fair game if no one is around. Think we all want to be conservationist and legal but when they get things so far out of babance it becomes a problem that could cause many to take care of the problem themselves.

Gunner, I agree with you about the birds and the breeding. No matter what kind of purebred stock you are raising, the principles are much the same. One of the differences I hear so often with our dogs is that pedigrees mean so little and in every other type of livestock the opposite is true. They put pedigrees ahead of individual performance when looking for breeding stock and that sure has been my experience especially when line breeding which most breeders adhere to very closely.

Ezzy
Hey Ezzy, I got three in my big pen last year. I had a good talk with them and they promised to never come back. They are honerable birds, they won',,,,didn't!

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:07 am

Along the lines of pigeons, I have access to some rollers later next year and will be building a pen for keeping them. I'm also going to start training a drahthaar pup next year. Would rollers be a good thing to train with?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:45 am

44magnum wrote:Along the lines of pigeons, I have access to some rollers later next year and will be building a pen for keeping them. I'm also going to start training a drahthaar pup next year. Would rollers be a good thing to train with?
Probably work OK but keep your eyes and ears open and possibly find a pair or two of homers. They will fly better for you and if trained a little will come back from further distances.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks. Im pretty sure I can get some homers from the same guy. He used to race them now they just sit around and he complains about having to feed them.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:54 am

We had a few roller's and tumbler's years ago but never trained with then. Don't know how far you'd get them to come back but we liked watching them when we turned them loose. Come to think of it they won't come back to far I don't think because these birds never went far from the loft.