The Power of Motherhood

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

The Power of Motherhood

Post by mcbosco » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:48 pm

photo-1.jpeg
Yesterday my friend's 3 year old Spinone, my dog's littermate, gave birth to 9 puppies. She was late and it was determined that a C section was the best course of action. She died on the operating table after an emergency spay was attempted. Being who she is, she found a Bernese Mountain Dog that had only one pup last week and rushed the puppies in a 7 hour drive up north. Well the Bernese was eager to have 10.

Proof something good can come from something bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Birddogz

Re: The Power of Motherhood

Post by Birddogz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Dogs are simply the coolest animals ever. Great story.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:10 pm

That's wonderful. Hope everything works out. Keep us posted.

tro182

Post by tro182 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:51 pm

I am sorry to here about the mother dog. The dog that whelped our pup last month had 7 pups one died at three days. The breeder had another dog that whelped 1 week latter and had 1 pup. The dog that had one pup would loveto have all the pups and the one that had 7 pups goes through the motions but that is about it. Some dogs have more of a mothering nature than others. I am glad to see you found a dog that tacks your pups as her own, great ending.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:57 pm

Hope they gave the pups some colostrom since they didn't get any from the mother. Hope it works out well for both pups and step mpm.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Talk about a tragic story with a happy ending! Hope everything works out for you, good luck!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Sorry about momma, but wow, what a Plan B!!

Amazing story.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:31 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Hope they gave the pups some colostrom since they didn't get any from the mother. Hope it works out well for both pups and step mpm.

Ezzy
Thanks for the tidbit. i didn't know you could get packaged canine colostrum formula. :idea:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:52 pm

BigShooter wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Hope they gave the pups some colostrom since they didn't get any from the mother. Hope it works out well for both pups and step mpm.

Ezzy
Thanks for the tidbit. i didn't know you could get packaged canine colostrum formula. :idea:
I think you can. Need it to get things working in new born babies and I am quite sure the vets carry it but then again I may be wrong. I know I was once before :roll:

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:07 pm

I found a supplier on the internet so yes, it's available. I knew about colostrum but had never thought about whether it might be available commercially.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Really a great story. Sorry to hear about the mom. Thanks for sharing....

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:30 pm

[quote="BigShooter"]I found a supplier on the internet so yes, it's available. I knew about colostrum but had never thought about whether it might be available commercially.[/quote

It is easy to get. In fact some people feed it to adult dogs and themselves as well. They used NZ Bovine for these pups I believe.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:06 pm

mcbosco wrote:
BigShooter wrote:I found a supplier on the internet so yes, it's available. I knew about colostrum but had never thought about whether it might be available commercially.[/quote

It is easy to get. In fact some people feed it to adult dogs and themselves as well. They used NZ Bovine for these pups I believe.
I have always found if you can't get the real thing use goats. Have raised about every kind of animal, wild or domesticated on it and it works better than anything else.

Ezzy

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:11 pm

mcbosco wrote:It is easy to get. In fact some people feed it to adult dogs and themselves as well. They used NZ Bovine for these pups I believe.
Seems to me they use NZ bovine for a lot of natural formulations because they are free ranging cattle (imported feed not used) and BSE has been thought to be due to cattle feed from India. Last I knew there still had been no cases of mad cow disease reported in NZ. FWIW
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote: I have always found if you can't get the real thing use goats. Have raised about every kind of animal, wild or domesticated on it and it works better than anything else.
Ezzy
Al, are goats like other mammals I'm familiar with so the colostrum is only available from the dam for a few days following a birth?
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:20 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:
BigShooter wrote:I found a supplier on the internet so yes, it's available. I knew about colostrum but had never thought about whether it might be available commercially.[/quote

I have always found if you can't get the real thing use goats. Have raised about every kind of animal, wild or domesticated on it and it works better than anything else.

Ezzy
Goats milk really is valuable. I have access to raw goats milk from the women I board with and buy food from. She has a nice group of Alpine goats that are real milkers and really outgoing with people. Have to keep it hush though because selling raw milk in NJ is a no no. Makes great yogurt.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 pm

BigShooter wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: I have always found if you can't get the real thing use goats. Have raised about every kind of animal, wild or domesticated on it and it works better than anything else.
Ezzy
Al, are goats like other mammals I'm familiar with so the colostrum is only available from the dam for a few days following a birth?
You are right. As a rule it will be produced for about three days. After about three days the female will come to her milk and start producing regular milk. You probably remember some of the discussions we have had about feeding for several days after a female has given birth. You do not want to feed much and as little energy producing feeds as possible for at least two days, since the dam is not producing milk and all you will do is increase the swelling of the udder with the possibility of producing mastitis which can be quite serious for her. The pups need very little feed the first few days and really start to pick up about a week after birth. And we try to feed the bitch to time her high production to the same period the pups are needing it.

The mother will normally eat the afterbirth if we just stay out of the way and that also helps her start the production of the colostrum. This is the normal procedure for all mammals as far as I know or at least for all of our domesticated farm animals.

Just to make it clear, the goat colostrum as well as the goat milk is really special compared to cows milk or most other animals. it is lower in butterfat but very high in milk solids. Much easier for newborns to digest.

Ezzy