Dec-12th Hun hunt

hustonmc

Dec-12th Hun hunt

Post by hustonmc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:05 pm

I finally remembered to bring my camera with me on a hunt and told myself that priority #1 take pictures even if I have to let some birds fly. If anyone has hunted Hun's in 30mph winds you know your not going to get much killing done anyways so it was set up for a good afternoon of capturing some memories. Maybe a learning oppurtunity for some as well.

Conditions: 60F, 30mph sustained winds, muddy as heck, last week had 1ft of snow so you can imagine.

My plan is to walk up 1 hog back, let Cage do is thing, hit the connecting ridge on the top and come back down another ridge right back to the truck, about 1 1/2 hr hunt. As I get to the top of the ridge my Garmin beeps and Cage is on point 604yds away.................back down hill, on the side of the ridge I just topped, at least he's to the front. As I approach I notice his tail which automatically tell me the birds are a long ways off.

I guess this is the draw back of having a broke dog, your not going to kill alot of birds this way, but like I mentioned it's 30mph winds. I relocate Cage, he moves up about 60yds and slams them. As I move about 50yds down hill the birds take flight about 30yds below me. Into the wind and off they go, don't even get a shot. If your doing your math, yes the birds were about 140yds away from Cage's initial point. Not good work IMO, birds weren't pinned, that's why they flushed early. But that's Hun hunting in the wind .
I release Cage and up the canyon he goes hitting the ridge line above the wind. After making a trip around the top and back down the lower side of the canyon he goes to the head and is gone. Shortly after, my Garm alerts me he is on point, 328yds.
I know where this birds are at, about 50yds in front of him. If I was killing I would have approached differently but got this picture. Again the wind is playing havic with his confidence, but he is about as honest as they get, he's not going to move. The birds are up and gone. Probably should have dropped one but that's my fault, Cage stayed steady throughout, good work.
After working over the saddle onto the main ridge I see Cage heading into some birdy looking stuff, within a few moments I'm alerted he's on point about 370yds.
Yes, that's right I managed to get one. Again I can't stress how fast these suckers get up and gone when they have a winded added take off.

This was the only piece of work I saw. After retreiving the bird to hand Cage bolts off and about 100yds up the hill spins in mid air and slams to a stop. He came in cross wind on these birds, like I mentioned earlier he is honest he sticks them how he smelled them.
These birds should have been dead, no excuse not to get a double out of this covey. They were pinned hard, basically flew up my pant leg. See the difference of a bird dog pinning birds and just pointing them........I missed though, probably shot above them as they took the wind down hill.

It's a little while in between points after this so Cage starts running bigger and bigger. He finally sticks some birds at 548yds. They were across the fence on some private ground so I just flushed and let the birds fly. I would have missed anyways.

Saw about 50 head of these guys. They weren't to concerned about moving on so I took the picture.

At this point I am heading back down the oppsite ridge I came up on, back to the truck. It's been a fair hunt so far, had better days, but under the conditions I am happy. The dog is 19 months and has alot to learn but days like this only help. About that time I hear that beep of cage on point. He's 354yds to the front.
The birds were about 80yds down hill. Never got a shot but glad to see the dog still hunting hard and going away.

My Garmin read after the hunt that Cage covered 15.18miles running at 10.09mph. All in all a pretty good Sunday morning hunt. All the passes are snowed up so can't hit the good bird areas but I think I can live with this. I would have liked to taken some pictures with a little better tail but it is what you get. Hunting single quail it's poker straight but better then pheasant were he looks like he is from England. Let's see everyone else's Sunday hunts, pictures please, we all love pictures.

yetinme

Re: Dec-12th Hun hunt

Post by yetinme » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:13 pm

We are in the middle of a huge storm so no hunting today. Good to go on your hunt though!

Nice pics.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Good looking hunt Huston [dog too] thanks for posting the pics :D

Dereck Layne

Post by Dereck Layne » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Loved them pics, Huston. I felt like I was there. Maybe one day I will be able to enjoy a good hun hunt. I loved the style of pictures, looked like they were painted! :)

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:53 pm

enjoyed the pics, thanks for sharing.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Looking good!!!!!!!!!

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Nice work Cage and Matt.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Looks like fun Huston, I like the looks of that ground I think the pony would even go there.

I did a little hunting today and can relate to the distraction of the camera.

It was a 2000' vertical climb to where the birds were but once on top we were rewarded with a nice point. Like you said the tail is a great indicator how far out the birds are. I ended up knocking a couple out of this one.

The birds were a little wild when approaching them from above I had several wild flushes on an adjacent hilsides in excess of 200 yds. We decided to change up the approach a little and come in at the same elevation it was not long before Smokey had another. There should have been a few dead birds out of this one but the shooter could not seal the deal.

We had a couple points in between these pics that were successful so it just stands to reason that on this point the birds got up while I was taking this pic. As you can see from the tail these birds were nailed but unfortunately the camera does not shoot copper plated 6's

We decided to drop down in the steep and again experienced some more wild flushes the birds were just a little antsy on the hill today. We finally managed to corner another covey at the head of this draw, they held long enough to get a nice flush and I was able to scratch a couple down.

At the end of the day we stopped to get a trophy pic

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Great pics! I migh have to re think my dream hunt post!. Looks like you guys had a great weekend.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:25 pm

hustonmc wrote: This was the only piece of work I saw. After retreiving the bird to hand Cage bolts off and about 100yds up the hill spins in mid air and slams to a stop. He came in cross wind on these birds, like I mentioned earlier he is honest he sticks them how he smelled them.
ImageNever got a shot but glad to see the dog still hunting hard and going away.
Ohh That is SEXY!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Nice jobs fellars!! Good trips and good shots!!

Was a fun weekend in these parts too! Wutsaguy to look at if his mutt ain't got a tail!??!
http://www.vimeo.com/17747136

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Wow, it is great to be young!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Boy I like those Huns! I can get around in their country! Considering the wind I'd say that was a good day. Wind get's them nervious, scatters their scent and dogs end up hitting them to far off to hold them well. We seldom bothered going out in strong wind years ago. Wish we still had them around here. Our bird population is about shot.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Don wrote:Boy I like those Huns! I can get around in their country! Considering the wind I'd say that was a good day. Wind get's them nervious, scatters their scent and dogs end up hitting them to far off to hold them well. We seldom bothered going out in strong wind years ago. Wish we still had them around here. Our bird population is about shot.

i know guys that are killing limits in your back door

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:22 pm

What do you call my back door? Closest I've heard of on public land is around Richfield. Benny's getting quail around Prineville somewhere, Looks like by the resivour. Prineville is a long ways off. Sounds like NE is pretty good this year. Guy from Wamic was by tonight and wants me to go to Tygh Ridge with him on private land. That sounds good especially since he has a Rhino to haul us in on. Around here, where? Criterion has some birds but to hard a walk for me, Trout Creek same deal. Clarno is shot on public but it drys out and I'm gonna go do some private land I have access to, we'll see.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Don, you just need to get a boat and float the river :D

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:45 am

I hear that. Not a lot of public land from Clarno uo but quite a bit from Clarno down. Going down I'm told it's three days to Cottonwood Bridge with one rapid. Somedasy I am gonna do that but not in my canoe! If it drys out that's the way I'm gonna go. Figure I can make a mile or so down and back.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Hustonmc,
I've read somewhere when someone made the distinction between Pointing and "Pinning" or "Overawing" birds into staying put as opposed to running in front of the dog, and I never asked them about it so I'm asking now "You stated ...
See the difference of a bird dog pinning birds and just pointing them......
Are you stating that the dog has control over this? I hunt huns and chukar frequently and, in my opinion, the way the birds are "pointed" is a product of many variables to include scenting conditions, at what point the dog hit the scent cone, training, the dogs desire to point and so on. Has anyone ever had a dog that would "Pin" their birds every time? As in follow the scent cone to the point that the bird or birds didn't move?

I may be wrong but I would rather have a dog stop at first scent/contact with the scent cone, then own a dog that would road them and possibly push them into flying. Let me say I'm not a pheasant hunter.

Huns are really difficult for pointing dogs to handle, I would say on equal footing or more so then late season Sharptails and Chukar.

The dogs that stop at first contact with the scent cone produce more birds for me.

opinions??
Tom

cody

Post by cody » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:17 pm

I have one dog that "pins" once in a while, she doesn't really road in on them but somehow gets them stopped by applying just the right amount of pressure. Sometimes if they hit the birds hard and are right on top of them nobody moves. It's kind of a balancing act and I think some dogs can and some can't. probably has something to do with the number of wild birds a dog works in their life. For my dogs Huns have always been tougher to handle than Chukar, I have only hunted sharpies a few times so I can't really say on them.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:13 pm

I will try my best to explain.
Gordon Guy wrote: the way the birds are "pointed" is a product of many variables to include scenting conditions, at what point the dog hit the scent cone, training, the dogs desire to point and so on
This quote is absolutley correct. Although I think the biggest variable is the dog. Some do it, some do it from time to time, some never will. It truly is the measuring stick of a great hun dog versus a good one. Not a field trial dog pheasant dog but of a wild Hun dog.

The best example I can come up with is this particular dog I started the thread with. He came out of the box pointing steady wing and shot, which in reality was more bad then good. When he was 5 months I had him running on wild huns. The first covey he came in contact with we were just over the east side of a ridge with a strong west wind. The pup wheeled around and slammed on point. After flushing 20-30 yds in front of the dog nothing was produced. I finally convinced the pup into moving, he went about 80yds and slammed on point at the fenceline. I crawled over the fence and again started attempting to produce birds about 20-30yds to his front. Again nothing was produced. After more conjollung I finally got the pup to relocate again about 60yds. As I started to walk past the pup and large covey of Hun's took flight about 50yds in front of the dog. This is a perfect example of a dog "pointing" at first scent contact. He had never smelled hun's, never ran in that type of terrain, but he had enough point in him to stop at the gamey scent. Those birds had no idea he was in the country, after several attempts and all that camotion the birds took flight, of course I never had shot. Not to long there after I was watching the young pup work when he threw his head up into the air, he then started "roading" into something, I had no idea what. He roaded a good 50yds then went on point. Before I started attempting a flush I decided to go about 50-60yds to his front, the bird were produced about 30yds more to my front, by the time I got my gun up the birds were just far enough out of range that I couldn't knock one down. At this point I'm flustered but happy to see improvement. I was almost back from my short little hunt when again I saw the young pup make game. He seemed to road forever before he finally stopped with a beautiful point. I again started about 60yds to his front and attempted to flush, not producing anything. I worked farther and farther out.......nothing. At this point I was a little upset and started walking to the pup to tell him good boy and relocate him when the birds took flight about 10yds in front of me and about 20yds in front of the dog. I easily knocked a bird down and was overjoyed as the pup grabbed a wing and started dragging the hun back to me, that was Cage's first Hun.

As a Hun hunter you probably know that they must put off alot of scent because dogs have a tendecy to point them from far away. This in my opinion is where Hun's get the definition of being a tough bird. Of course the opposite is true of a dog that keeps moving in crowding the birds until they have had enough and take flight while your still hot footing it over to the dog a good 200yds away.

Scenting conditions play a big part as well. You can look up at the photos and see the dogs tail, all the pictures where the dogs tail is less the a perfect 12 o'clock the birds are about 50+ yards away. This in my opinion was not ideal, but under the conditions I was happy. The dog had some what good location on the birds but was not sure of himself snd it shows. It also stands to reason why I was only able to scratch down one of those birds because of it. With the birds not being pinned and with the wind I was fighting an up hill battle. Now look at the point with his perfect tail but low front. He hit these birds at a cross wind, not roading into them. Where he came into the cone he felt he was way to close. As I mentioned this dog hates to flush, it actually quite amazing. He is low fronted because the dog is not wanting to flush. BUt look at his tail, he knows exactly where those birds are, and the birds know exactly where he is. It's a mexican standoff. The birds don't want to move, the dog doesn't want to move. These birds were about 15yds from the dog, they flew about 6 ft in front of me. LIke I mentioned no reason to miss but I should have easily had a double out of this covey. These birds were pinned.

Don mentioned above how they don't even hunt Hun's in windy weather. I'm guessing for this exact reason dogs tend to point to far away to begin with, let alone with the scent blowing right in their face.

I honestly had nothing to do with my dogs ability to do this, he just happens to do it. He will still stop a little to far away at times. But for the most part he roads right in a pins the birds. I can say with a straight face that this dog has only flushed maybe 3 coveys his entire life. On days when he points to far away I have like above, only 1 bird. He we does his thing and raods in and pinns his birds, they look more like this.
I'm not saying it's not anymore fun, or a dog that stops on first scent contact isn't an awesome dog a sight to behold. But, a dog that "pins" his birds rather then just "pointing" them. You will kill alot more over the dogs that is pinning them.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:47 pm

That link is awesome. Great hunting and pics
DGFavor wrote:Nice jobs fellars!! Good trips and good shots!!

Was a fun weekend in these parts too! Wutsaguy to look at if his mutt ain't got a tail!??!
http://www.vimeo.com/17747136
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:26 pm

hustonmc,
Great pictures and fantstic story, got to agree about the difference between a dog just pointing, rather than setting the birds for gunning. There definitely is a big difference in the actual bird numbers being taken. No matter if its a Quail dog, Chukar dog or Grouse dog, the dog who relocates and really sets birds for his masters gunning is the dog I want to hunt with. If you ever get up to Pa make sure you contact us, we would love to see your dog work, especially on our spooky Grouse.
Congrats on owning a big time gun dog.
RGD/Dave

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Great pictures! That dog looks like a rock star for under two years old!

As for relocating pinning birds, I guess I dont know how I really feel. I have one dog that will relocate and one that wont. Late season chukars I would much rather have a dog stand there till I get there and then have him relocate. But early season I think the birds let the dogs get away with alot more, I have blown my whistle before on late season chukars and have had birds wild flush across the canyon. So I cant imagine how they would handle a dog roading them, but I would guess wild flush. Luckily most of the time we just get em pointed and shoot em! But I dont want a dog that is pointing birds from 50 yards away road in on birds just to get closer. My idea of relocation is when they move off and the dog no longer has contact with the birds. If a dog is roading in AFTER he has scent contact and "knows" the birds are in front 40-50 yards what does it accomplish for the dog to road in 20 yards and potentially bust the birds?

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:27 am

There's no doubt that your dog is an excellent performer. As for stopping at first scent or roading in to "Set" the birds, almost all of my dogs have stopped at first scent and I've encouraged/trained them to stay there until I get there and we can both move up together, if that's the situation. I do have one younger dog that moves in but moves in too close for Huns and Chukar but makes an excellent quail dog. Quail can handle a little more pressure. I would have to experience what you're talking about in order to see the difference. So..lets go hunting next fall :wink:
Tom

longarm

Post by longarm » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Great thread. Love the pics of open country.

Don,
I have done that very float in a canoe. In fact from Service Creek to Cottonwoods. It's do-able though the first rapid after Clarno can be more than exciting at low water (recommend lining around it). I have a skillion pics and info if you like PM me, happy to share.
Dan