Puppy guarantee

Birddog3412

Puppy guarantee

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm

This is a spin on th puppy contract post. I have seen people guarantee a pup from 7 days to 36 months. I would stand behind my pups for a few weeks assuming it wasnt something the new owner had caused but at some point the new owner has to take responsiblity. I mean my house didnt even come with a 36 month garantee. That being said I do not understand someone guaranteeing a dog for 36 months. I mean it looks good in an add but if I have a dog that is almost 3 years old and it comes down with some type of abnormality or decease.........the $600 - $1000 puppy price is the least of my worries. I mean that price is a small fee compared to the food, vet, training, time, etc etc, not to mention being attached to the dog.

Can someone explain this to me??

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Re: Puppy guarantee

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Any time its that long it has to do with health checks ie hips. They aren't done growing until they are atleast 24 months so to get a good reading on there hips prior to that is tough. A guarantee that long says they will pass health clearances or will refund/get a new pup...
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Yeah I don't get some ie contracts

I can see for a person looking for a Breeding prospect and if hips fails to step up to the plate..but some of these contract OML talk about feeling pelosi'd

But to dictate how someone is going to name and take care of a pup...might as well keep the pups and then you don't have to worry if they are being raised to your expectations
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:19 pm

I guarantee against any inherited problem that might occur for the life of the dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:01 pm

I just sold one with a lifetime guarantte against genetic issues too.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Buying dogs is just like going to the livestock auction when ya buy it its yours period...i have spent big money on dogs and they be dead in 3 months just suck it up and move on...

Dereck Layne

Post by Dereck Layne » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Well said Dudley, make your picks a good one! Sometimes things happen no matter who owns the pup. It's not the breeders fault nor the new owner. You just have to use common sense. :)

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Dereck Layne wrote:Well said Dudley, make your picks a good one! Sometimes things happen no matter who owns the pup. It's not the breeders fault nor the new owner. You just have to use common sense. :)

its sad Dereck, but few have this same mind set as we do, people always wanting a guarntee is why Walmart has made it harder to return things..

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:50 pm

dudleysmith wrote:
Dereck Layne wrote:Well said Dudley, make your picks a good one! Sometimes things happen no matter who owns the pup. It's not the breeders fault nor the new owner. You just have to use common sense. :)

its sad Dereck, but few have this same mind set as we do, people always wanting a guarntee is why Walmart has made it harder to return things..

So if a kid comes out with a defect can we get a replacement :roll: Or better yet drive a truck for 7 years and the engine has problems should the dealer give us a new truck

I understand with higher prices to have some flexibility on a new young pup and issues But gees a dog that is 10 and comes up with cancer or water diabetes by some peoples guarantees they should get a new puppy I sure don't expect the breeder to replace that is called Life
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:52 pm

I wonder what would happen if we all aked for a Guarantee when our kids a born,or some kind of contract.
I guess marrige has a contract but they are broken everyday.
Maybe the next time some one comes to buy a puppy I should ask if they are married & how long. :roll:
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:01 pm

bad hips? if i buy a pup and its ends up with bad hips would i ask for money back? No, that is part of it especially if the breeder had no idea, now if the breeder is breeding a dog that continues to throw bad hips then something should be said...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:23 pm

dudleysmith wrote:bad hips? if i buy a pup and its ends up with bad hips would i ask for money back? No, that is part of it especially if the breeder had no idea, now if the breeder is breeding a dog that continues to throw bad hips then something should be said...
And this is why I want to know about ant genetic problem and your reward for reporting it is a new puppy.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:58 pm

I only guarantee that I am selling you the pup that I told you I would, that its out of the parents that I said, that its the sex and breed that I said. You get the papers for said pup and I get your check. Never had any problems.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:58 pm

LMAO!!!!

Lifetime guarantee is ridiculous...because after a number of years its impossible to tell if certain defects are genetic, injury induced, nutrition related, etc. I think every breeder should do what they feel best, but what bothers me is conditioning buyers that dogs are a perfect science..its not.

Question....should a buyer share any risk? even Ford only gives you 36,000 miles.

ArcticRetrievers

Post by ArcticRetrievers » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:00 pm

I have a lifetime guarantee on Listed Genetic issues (hip Dysplasia, Elbow dysplasia EIC, CNM, prcd-PRA For Labs, and Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia, Thyroid, vomwillebrands for GWPS) Since Those are the Tests I put my own Breeding stock through, how am I supposed to guarantee against something that may have been recessive, but untested in the breed? I think that a lifetime guarantee against forseeable and genetic issues is fine, and should happen. dont you want to know if your putting bad stock out there with a repeat breeding? But to be guaranteed for a lifetime against something you as a brreder may not be aware of? thats a little out there.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:31 pm

the puppy guarantee , well figure it does several things for not only the buyer but the breeder , shows the buyer you will stand behind what you breed , for the seller if several of your pups end up later on in life with say bad hips, do you want the buyer or buyers going around telling everyone this guy/gal sold me this dog with bad hips and will not work with me for a replacement, giving you as a breeder a bad reputation or also continuing to breed that dog with bad hips into the gene pool producing more pups with bad hips? all with your name behind them
personally I would think it much better to give the guy a new pup with a spay/neuter on the defective dog if he is attached and let him keep the dog with bad hips or just give the guy or gal a new pup and take back the dog with bad hips and remove it from the genepool , its better for the breed in the long run and better for you as a seller to show you stand behind what you breed , so you lost the sale of one or two pups, from your next litter ..
a guy/person selling a pup that at 3 years old has bad hips and plans on breeding more dogs might have some difficulty selling more pups , if he doesnt stand behind the dogs he is producing and becomes known for breeding dogs with bad hips..or any other serious defect that is known for being hereditary.

in todays information age, or if you are into any hunt testing or dog games its pretty simple for people to spread the word if you have sold some dogs that developed congental defects and you failed to do the right thing by the new owner.

So I would have to guess if you plan on doing continued breedings then yes standing behind what you breed should be important, and also as ezzy said it also would let you know as a breeder hey either this sire or dam has something genetic that you just got informed of by a client so you could remove the sire or dam from any more breedings and as to not produce any more dogs with the health issue...
of course you cannot warrenty something caused by the buyer , but if its genetic thereby caused by the dogs you chose to breed on that particular litter i would think it only in your best interest as a breeder to remove it from the genepool ...

but if you plan on breeding just a once or twice in your lifetime not really serious about continuing to breed dogs in the future then I would say no , giving a long term warrenty probibly wouldnt be something you want to do.

just my thoughts

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:15 am

I do OFA all my breeding stock.
I also will provide a replacement pup should a person bought a pup from me for breeding But If a person just bought for hunting I will work something out on a future dog but as I said before a Mild OFA one will probably see little to no physical signms until late in life ..and
if a person uses a dog for breeding purposes with out having a passing OFA why should I go and Give them another pup agreement verbal or contract for me is null and void

So no I do not want to see someone breed their dogs with out going through some proper channels but I am also realistic that we are only human and these are living breathing animals that we have no control over many little things and OK a dog has an enlarged heart ..It hasn't effected the dogs hunting owner is happy..it didn't take a piece of paper for me to offer the guy a discount rate on a future pup since he is a good client but his dog is suiting his purpose...He is appreciates my offer

but sorry I don't have a life time guarantee I am not God I will work something out but if that dog provided the services that the person wanted in the first place and that dog is now 10 years old sounds like a good average dogs life

over the years I have replaced 3 pups I have taken 4 dogs back and one dog that went to a trainer who was limited in his ways I offer to give those people a free month worth of training to work the dog through its issue and I even offer to purchase the dog back to even sending another person to try and get the dog but every time the people wouldn't show the dog or take me up on my offer. what more could I do..for 6 months while that dog was at the trainer not doing well with that trainer methods I offered and offered to take the dog and even made suggestion as how to get the dog to come around I told him about other trainers to take the dog to..oh no this trainer was the best..I did some research and the feed back I did get from those that knew him or knew of him was not impressive at all hard handed and short on patience was the two things I heard over and over :evil:
So when I got a call after 3 months of them not replying asking if I knew anyone that would buy the dog..again they refused to let someone see the dog other then in their back yard and when i again offered to buy the dog I never heard from them again

So tell me where would a contract helped ? What more could I have done legally...Not a ==== Thing?

So I do what I can with in reason

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:36 am

I dont think I am being understood!! I understand that alot of you would give a replacement puppy if one you sold developed a problem.....I would probably do the same if I was contacted by a buyer.

What I mean is, I have thousands of dollars invested in this dog if it is almost 3 years old, and who knows how much time and all I am going to get is a puppy. Big deal!!

EXAMPLE....I go buy a brand new truck today for $33000, the sales person tells me if anything happens to your truck in the next 3 years, we will give you a new set of tires a value of $800.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:55 am

Birddog3412 wrote:I dont think I am being understood!! I understand that alot of you would give a replacement puppy if one you sold developed a problem.....I would probably do the same if I was contacted by a buyer.

What I mean is, I have thousands of dollars invested in this dog if it is almost 3 years old, and who knows how much time and all I am going to get is a puppy. Big deal!!

EXAMPLE....I go buy a brand new truck today for $33000, the sales person tells me if anything happens to your truck in the next 3 years, we will give you a new set of tires a value of $800.
If you invested thousands of dollars in the pup in three years, that was done by your choice and not something that was required for the pups well being. I'll replace your original purchase with the same thing you bought originally but you were already repaid for the other money you spent in love and companionship from your pup. And I will make that offer not because of a written guarantee but because it is the right thing to do and especially for a friend.

Ezzy

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:02 am

Well what else would you want a seller to do birddog ? buy the dog back @ 10 times what you paid for it because you invested in it and it didnt work out..breeders already have invested tons of money into a breeding they can only do so much..most times the breeder has already lost money or gained very little of that investment back on a litter dont think many could afford to breed if they gave more than a free return pup ..

whenever you buy a pup its a bit of a gamble on congenital health, recessive genes may always come about no matter how well the parents are tested and most health tests are not 100% ..Just as its a bit of a gamble on how the dog may turn out as an adult as a hunter ..buyers got to realize that going into it that by buying a dog they are taking a bit of a gamble ..

I would say a breeder who is willing to replace the pup has done all he could do ..

I give ya better example than you gave , you bought a truck @ $20000.00 you drove it for 3 years you put gas in it you done oil changes and spent money on minor repairs and upkeep and spent money on new tires and some upgrades for the truck, It dies , the car company says we will replace it with a new truck worth $20000.00 and you say well yeah i want that plus I want all my gas money and oil change,tires, upgrades and minor repair money back as well,
that would just be rediculous for the Car company to do , they wouldnt be in buisness long if they were paying for everyones expenditures and replacing the vehicle as well ..

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 am

That's Life

I produced a pup if I am going to be the care taker and be liable for it for life then It will be sitting in my kennel.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 am

briarpatch wrote:I give ya better example than you gave , you bought a truck @ $20000.00 you drove it for 3 years you put gas in it you done oil changes and spent money on minor repairs and upkeep and spent money on new tires and some upgrades for the truck, It dies , the car company says we will replace it with a new truck worth $20000.00 and you say well yeah i want that plus I want all my gas money and oil change,tires, upgrades and minor repair money back as well,
that would just be rediculous for the Car company to do , they wouldnt be in buisness long if they were paying for everyones expenditures and replacing the vehicle as well ..
+1... really can't argue that...

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:13 pm

briarpatch wrote:the puppy guarantee .... , shows the buyer you will stand behind what you breed , for the seller if several of your pups end up later on in life with say bad hips, do you want the buyer or buyers going around telling everyone this guy/gal sold me this dog with bad hips and will not work with me for a replacement, giving you as a breeder a bad reputation or also continuing to breed that dog with bad hips into the gene pool producing more pups with bad hips? all with your name behind them
personally I would think it much better to give the guy a new pup with a spay/neuter on the defective dog if he is attached and let him keep the dog with bad hips or just give the guy or gal a new pup and take back the dog with bad hips and remove it from the genepool , its better for the breed in the long run and better for you as a seller to show you stand behind what you breed , so you lost the sale of one or two pups, from your next litter ..

standing behind what you breed should be important,
Exactly what we do and what any ethical breeder should do.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Briar patch your example was alot better and well taken.....touche

Ac guy and anyone else who did read all the posts........I agree give them a new puppy, I even said I would. I cannot find in any post where anyone disagreed, I just couldnt wrap my head around all the logic.

Ezzy, How can you have a dog for 3 years and not have money invested in it?