Hunting with my wife

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Hunting with my wife

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I got my wife out today for some pheasant and quail hunting and of course we didn't see a blasted thing but a few hens and a covey the dog busted way up in front of us. It was in the 60's here today with absolutely no wind. A gorgeous day to be out but not real good weather for seeing high numbers of birds. Need some rain or snow because it is so blasted dry here the dogs can't hardly smell the birds and also need some cold weather to get the coveyed up and the pheasant sitting in the CRP fields. Here are some pics of my wife with the dogs though. At least she got to walk and carry her blue shotgun she wanted so badly. :D If she weren't so short we might be able to get more walking in before she wears out walking the thick, tall CRP and thick scrub brush country here.

windswept

Re: Hunting with my wife

Post by windswept » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Hahahhahhahahahahahahahaha.....Love that blue shotgun!

I'm close to having my wife convinced that she should come with me every now and again.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:42 pm

So far this year I have hunted more with my wife than without, she makes a great camera woman. I have not been able to get her to pack a gun yet but she did get her hunters safety card.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm

I'd say by her smile, that she had fun being out and about with you and the dogs! I'd trade for your weather and your bird count for the day BTW. :mrgreen:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 pm

I'd like to correct a mistake in my earlier post as well. I just looked at the thermometer here at my house and it reads 70 degrees. :D

She did have fun, I just wish we would have gotten into more birds so she could have taken some shots. I actually painted that shotgun for her. It had a dark walnut stock on it like most Winchester model 1200's but she wanted it blue so I stripped it down and painted it for her.
Last edited by tommyboy72 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:53 pm

who cares about the birds...a nice day out with your wife and her electric blue shotgun...that's good stuff!
...and 70 degress is too durned warm to make her pack that cotton sweatshirt around, let's get her in some modern fiber

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:13 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I'd like to correct a mistake in my earlier post as well. I just looked at the thermometer here at my house and it reads 70 degrees. :D

She did have fun, I just wish we would have gotten into more birds so she could have taken some shots. I actually painted that shotgun for her. It had a dark walnut stock on it like most Winchester model 1200's but she wanted it blue so I stripped it down and painted it for her.
Screw you with your 70 degrees comment! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding, looks like you spent some "quality" time together. By the way it has warmed up considerably, and it is 5 degrees. :cry:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Yea, I'd say that's a blue gun! :) For her birthday you should get her a Purdy with sidelocks and a blue stock! :mrgreen: My Grand daughter has a gun. It's got a pink stock. I have a mod 70 featherweight in 6.5x55 for her when she start's hunting big game, it is blued with a beautiful piece of wook. It won't be pink in my life time! :evil:
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:07 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I actually painted that shotgun for her. It had a dark walnut stock on it like most Winchester model 1200's but she wanted it blue so I stripped it down and painted it for her.
I hope yours isn't pink....... :mrgreen:

Sounds like it was a nice day to be out, beats the heck out of my trip Saturday. Temp never got above 28deg and the wind was +35mph. It was miserable to say the least.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey tom, that is great and it looks like she is enjoying herself! BTW, we have snow with a low of three degrees this morning, which wouldn't be so bad but the wind has made it brutal the last couple of days.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm

I like the cold weather without the wind. If we could just get some moisture here it would great also. I am having heck with the dogs even catching scent on birds, it is just so dry here. The dog work is suffering because of it. My wife was just happy to get out of the house and have a few hours without the boys pestering her. :D

Charlie, that is just a bit too cold for me. Wonder what the windchill was with a low of 3 degrees. Covey my guns have nice turkish walnut stocks on them with a nice finish. No blue stock here. :D She actually wanted a blue stain rather than paint but when I stripped down the old finish the walnut wood the stock was made from was a real dark chocolate brown so the stain wouldn't show up so I let her pick out the electric blue paint and did it up for her. Mostly she likes to shoot clays with it and she does pretty well. I also bought a bore tap and bored it out from a fixed modified to a fixed improved cylinder for her. The gun doesn't fit her quite right since she is only 5'2" tall and I offered to cut down the stock for her to get a better fit but she says she likes it the way it is and she shoots decent with it so I leave it alone. It's her gun and she likes it because it's different I guess.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 pm

birddogger wrote:Hey tom, that is great and it looks like she is enjoying herself! BTW, we have snow with a low of three degrees this morning, which wouldn't be so bad but the wind has made it brutal the last couple of days.

Charlie
3 above? Heck, that is down right balmy! :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:52 am

I'll take your weather any day. Just about have my wife talked into at least walking with me while hunting so she can take pictures.
Gotta love those colored Winchesters. Here is a pic of a Winchester Super X-1 that I had painted after I customized the stock to fit me.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:47 am

That's a pretty cool looking stock too. I like the lightning pattern on it. I might try something like that on my old Baikal SxS. It needs refinished about now but I am saving it for a spring/summer project. How did you get the lightning bolt effect. I am guessing you painted the stock blue and then taped off the lightning and then went back over the blue paint with black paint? Or was there some sort of template you used?

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:52 pm

How did you get the lightning bolt effect. I am guessing you painted the stock blue and then taped off the lightning and then went back over the blue paint with black paint? Or was there some sort of template you used?
I did the stock and then sent it out to have painted. No idea how he did it. Usually paints motorcycle helmets and such. But he did the gun stock.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:53 pm

It's pretty cool. I like it. It is eye catching.