Check out what I scored

eebstein

Check out what I scored

Post by eebstein » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:00 pm

I posted up a month ago that I was looking to adopt a hunting dog. I was thinking maybe I could get lucky and should give adoption a shot before dropping a ton of cash. Well I'm totally glad I did. Some one put me on a lead that turned out to be gold.

2 weeks ago I just adopted a 8month old GSP female named Storm. She comes from No-Mars Kennels no-mars.com, has papers, shots, and comes from a good bloodline. The previous owners were a great family but realized the dog was a little too much energy for them and all she wanted to do is hunt. They wanted her placed in a hunting home so she could do what she was bred for since they couldn't hunt her like she needed. The adoption fee was only the price of her dog food. I'm totally stoked to have this dog.

The breeder introduced Stormy to birds and gun fire at an early age but unfortunatly since then she has not been hunted or trained with. This is my first "true" hunting dog and also first pointer breed. I going to make sure to get advice and help in training to do it right and I have the perfect start/finish video which I am following.

So far she knows sit, down, come, fetch, drop it and she is very well behaved. I was almost not going to take this dog because so many people have told me GSP's "are off the wall" or "you'll be chasing it all day and not hunting" but this dog is the best behaved dog i've ever had. Ive been practicing fetch with her retrieving frozen quail. This coming week we are going to introduce her to live birds.

PS Now I need to get my hands on a bird launcher. If there is anyone in or around San Diego that has one for sale or willing to rent\borrow one please let me know. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Re: Check out what I scored

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:18 pm

many people have told me GSP's "are off the wall" or "you'll be chasing it all day and not hunting"
Many people you know have no idea what the he!l they are talking about..

Looks nice. Good luck and have fun.
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Congratulations to you...
Friendly advice is to maybe join the GSP ckub down there ... read all the posts you can on here, and pick a training method to use with either video or book help.

Good luck and welcome

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:38 pm

I agree, join a club, either gsp or an all breed pointing dog club. You will get a lot of good ideas out of club members and you will probably find someone to help you train. It is always nice to have someone hold the checkcord, or plant a bird, or gun the bird, so you can put your full attention on your pup. It's also nice to have the other person's dog around so your pup gets used to hunting with other dogs.
Good luck with your new pup and have fun training and hunting!!!!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Shoot me a pm and we can get together and work dogs some time. I'm up in temecula area.

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:44 pm

nice looking dog, Good Luck

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Congratulations. A good way to get to know the dog and to get the dog used to you is to put her through some formal obedience classes. I found going to classes made me work with the dog to avoid being embarrassed at class. When I completed with the classes, I had a happy and polite hunting dog who was great in the house ,knew how to learn, and was well socialized with other dogs. My current dog is the first one I took to formal classes, and I wish I had with some of the earlier dogs.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Good deal.The First thing to do with her is Bond,Bond,Bond.Once she learns to trust you and love you,the training will come easier.
Dog On Point!!

sigav8r

Post by sigav8r » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Congrats on rescuing. I'm getting my GSP next week in a similar deal! Wife and I are super excited and can't wait to see her!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:01 pm

A big congrats, and I think you did very well. :mrgreen:

If you are in the San Diego area, I'm sure this group could help you out: http://www.sandiegonavhda.com/

I can't speak for all chapters, but as a new pointing dog owner, my local NAVHDA chapter was one of the best things I ever got involved in.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:37 pm

No-Mars was a guy named Leo Mitag. He used to be around Eugene, Oregon area, where is he now? Leo did some imports years ago and had one really nice bitch. can't remember her name though.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

cody

Post by cody » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:20 pm

No-Mars was a guy named Leo Mitag. He used to be around Eugene, Oregon area, where is he now? Leo did some imports years ago and had one really nice bitch. can't remember her name though.
He is still around. He is in Middleton Idaho now, I was at his place a couple weeks ago and he still has quite a few dogs.