I am exhausted!

Scott Linden

I am exhausted!

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Manny the 8-month old wirehair is a rock star in the field - you'll see a lot of him next year on Wingshooting USA - but he wakes up every morning at 5:40 a.m.!

For a while there we thought it was a neighbor dog that was coming around to bark at that time (Manny wakes within ten minutes of this time most mornings). But that issue is over. I take the water away at about 6:30 p.m., and put him in the crate about 10:00 p.m. At the appointed hour, he starts the whining ... quiet at first, increasing in volume until it's a constant annoyance that is driving us nuts!

I'll let him out, he pees, then might go back in the box but would rather not. He WILL join me on the couch and drop right off to sleep again.

Most will suggest he can "hold it" for one hour per month of age ... so we are teetering on the edge, I guess. But any other ideas for stretching his box time would be most appreciated by we bleary-eyed owners.

Thanks.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: I am exhausted!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:34 pm

Yes he can Even 5 week old pups do not pee every hour and can go 8 hours

I would have him tested for a UTI make sure there isn't something medical going on once you have that cleared after he has done his potty for the night put him in the kennel and put him in a different room and turn on a radio and don't give in. Every time you let him out on his terms he wins and it will become harder and harder to crate him and keep him crated
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Sorry Scott but he has got you trained. :)

You'll have to do the "ignore process" until he sleeps till 7 a.m

You could buy a bigger house.
We have a big house so it is easy for me to not hear the whining dog until I am ready.

As you know, young dogs are ready to go at 5:30 a.m. and have to be retrained.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:00 am

Shoot, I get up with my guy's every night. Doesn't usually bother me much as I need ti get up myself.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:30 am

Have you ever allowed him to sleep the entire night with you in bed? My DD did the same thing until I let her sleep in bed with me. After that she made it to 7:00. :D She wakes me up at 7:00 every morning within 10 minutes. The only thing that gets her is the time change. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks everyone. Time change was something I hadn't considered, but HAD thought about putting the crate way, way farther from me!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:30 am

Good luck, I made the mistake of getting my SM in January, it was great taking him out every couple hours in -30 temps where neither he nor I wanted to be out there. He was also the dog from heck when it came to crate training, sounded like a beagle with his vocal cords half cut or something. We got through it though. Some things that helped were to put the crate in the bedroom and cover it with a blanket, then we moved it a little farther night by night, foot by foot until we got it to the door of the bedroom then out in the hall until we got it all the way to the living room where he was supposed to be. I also suggest to take up smoking, gives you something to look forward to when you have to go outside every hour or two and freeze, makes getting out of bed easier too.

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:36 am

On a side note Scott, just wanted to let you know how much my family and I enjoy your show. Very well done. Recorded on the dvr every week!

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:58 am

WOW! 5:40 would be heaven. Mine are up at 4:00am everyday. But I have to get up at that time to get to work so they just got used to the schedule. If I am lucky some weekends, especially after hunting they might sleep in till 6:00am. Doesn't really bother me, I have gotten used to the time table.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:29 am

I got one that wears the "collar of shame" to bed every single night. He's decided that trying to dig a hole to China through the bottom of his crate is appropriate behavior at 3:00 a.m., and again at 5:30 a.m.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

JKP

Post by JKP » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Gotta truck?...with a cap??? Many a pup has been crated in the truck...only takes a few nights and they learn that fussin' won't work. Make sure the crate is secure...and that there is nothing in the crate that can harm the dog. Nothing wrong with it.

Pointers_31

Post by Pointers_31 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Scott,

Ear muffs and tough love til they get it figured out. I've had lots of pups inside and it takes a week or so until they figure out that whining isn't going to get them out of the crate. What he's learned is that if he whines loud enough you will save him, and it can get worse over time. It's heart breaking at first, but you'll appreciate it in the long run.