Chain link or underground fence?

4ShotB

Chain link or underground fence?

Post by 4ShotB » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 pm

I have a little over 2 months before my pup (ES) comes home and want to get prepared. I am wanting to fence my yard (or parts of it, my home sits on about 3 acres). Here is what I consider the pros/cons of each type. Underground fence (vs. traditional fence): appears to be cheaper, especially for a larger area; easier to install, easier lawn maintenance. Cons: doesn't stop dogs/animals/people from coming in your yard, maybe not effective on dogs with high drive, some chance of failure due to battery, lightning, etc.

I did the search thing first of course but not alot of discussion on this topic. Wasn't sure to post in this forum or the training forum so mods please move if necessary. My question is: in thinking through the pros/cons, did I miss anything? Can you provide any further insight?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Chain link or underground fence?

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:12 pm

I would go Chain Link Thing about underground fence it might keep your dog in provided he doesn't blow through the stimulation but the biggest thing That I do not like is that it does not keep other dogs out
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Chain link. I'm a skeptic about how good something works that I can't see.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Chainlink by all means.

Unless you end up with a real smart one and have to install an "invisible" along with the chainlink to keep the dog in :lol:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:14 pm

I have both around 5 acres and it works slick...with just the traditional fence I always ended up with fugitives

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:50 pm

I know a trainer that hates to get dogs from families with the underground zap 'em system.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:23 pm

please don't be another one of those people who has an underground fence, as someone who has to go into back yards all the time it sucks when i giant dog looking for blood comes running at you and all you can think is, this is it this is how I'm gonna die :? right until the dog stops just short of you just in time for you to make a mess of your pants :mrgreen: not to mention it messes with my locating equipment. but seriously chain link is the way to go.

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:32 pm

another vote for chainlink, the house I moved into has part of the yard that is fenced in already. I thought about doing invisible fence around another area and decided against 'shocking' my puppy ....

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:13 pm

BigShooter wrote:I know a trainer that hates to get dogs from families with the underground zap 'em system.
Plus one to that. My trainer has attributed a couple of failures to invisible fencing.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:35 am

With chain link you'll want to use a bottom stiffener 7 gauge wire to assist with lessening the possibility of under-the-bottom escapes.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:45 pm

as always, I appreciate the feedback. Looks like it's chainlink by a landslide in this contest. Merry Christmas to all.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:50 pm

by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 pm
Plus one to that. My trainer has attributed a couple of failures to invisible fencing
BigShooter wrote:
I know a trainer that hates to get dogs from families with the underground zap 'em system.
...thanks
I needed that in my head

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 pm
Plus one to that. My trainer has attributed a couple of failures to invisible fencing
BigShooter wrote:
...thanks
I needed that in my head
Like the "Night before Christmas":

.... While visions of sugar plums danced in their wee little heads ...... :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:19 pm

4ShotB wrote:as always, I appreciate the feedback. Looks like it's chainlink by a landslide in this contest. Merry Christmas to all.
The back part of my property is black chain link and it just blends in. Against the woods some people don't even notice it.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:38 pm

mcbosco wrote:The back part of my property is black chain link and it just blends in. Against the woods some people don't even notice it.
Another type of invisible fencing. :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Stickbow

Post by Stickbow » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:41 am

If you decide on going the electric route consider the wireless systems. There are several plus' to this system over the buried wire:
1. If your pup does drive through his limit he continues to be shocked for 30 seconds. He doesn't get away scott free.
2. Your pup can return without being shocked. His collar is reactivated.
3. Sidewalks and paved driveways are no longer free exit points.
4. Inexpensive

The down side...
1 Close neighbors or something close you want to block off. The wireless system is a radio signal given off in a circle that in be increased or decreased by turning a knob. But it is a circle. If the neighbor's property is only 40' away. Then your entire circle will be set at that distance.
2 Heavy metal will block the signal. My dog cannot put my Belt Sander or Bandsaw between herself and the transmitter.

The Ace

Post by The Ace » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:10 pm

I have an underground fence for my crew. It works good, but here are my observations... after 6 years of having it.
-Make sure a new pup gets the idea of how to work in and out of brush while afield before they get the idea from the UG fence that they can't go into those areas. (I had a Brittany that simply would not go into any brush or obstruction, because that type of structure was the boundary at my house.)
-My English Setter runs back and forth, back and forth... all day long, chasing a better look at birds. (I have a dirt track in my back yard, as a result. It runs along the back boundary and is about 5-6" deep.)
-Regarding that last point... that Setter is a super bird-dog, but I feel I get just a touch too much "sight-pointing" from her afield as a result.
-I have a very hard-headed GSP male that I could not contain. The only remedy I found, was to double up, extend the contact points that are usually on their throat to where they also come up behind the ears to pop him good. Boy... they really hate that shock back there! (PM me if want pics of this rig)
-All my dogs cannot hunt with beepers. Because the UG fence beeps when they get to the boundary, it makes them jump back and think they are doing something wrong as soon as they hear any beep.