question about hunting with friend's dog while training

44magnum

question about hunting with friend's dog while training

Post by 44magnum » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:37 pm

I have a friend who got me into bird hunting a few years ago. We hunted very successfully over his oder Springer spaniels. His spaniels have passed on and he got a GSP. The GSP is almost two now. He doesn't hold point and is a big runner.

My question is this: I am getting a DD this spring and am going to be dedicating a lot if time and energy into training it right. Am I going to screw up my dog if I hunt with my friend and his dog that busts birds? I like hunting with him because he always gets us on the birds but I won't do it at the expense of my dog. Anyone else faces this before?
Last edited by 44magnum on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birddogz

Re: question about hunting woth friend's dog while training

Post by Birddogz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Help him steady his dog. I wouldn't want to hunt a dog with a dog that won't hold point.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: question about hunting woth friend's dog while training

Post by ultracarry » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Depending on what you want your dog to do it shouldn't be too bad. I'm assuming your dd won't run as big and if his dog busts them it should break up the birds. When it happens just split off and look for singles.

The reason why I won't run my dog in field trial Derby or puppy stakes after she maxed her points is because she can get away with a creep or a busted bird and that's not what I want. The only Derby I ran her in she was holding a point when the other dog ran from behind her to the bird and busted a bird. I won't say what I was thinking but it was not sweet.

If your dogs at his dogs level go but if you want progress than pass and go find your own spots.

bossman

Re: question about hunting with friend's dog while training

Post by bossman » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:02 pm

If you friend plans to shoot birds that his dog has busted, I would not hunt my young dog with him. Both his dog and yours would be learning bad habit's.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:21 pm

bossman wrote:If you friend plans to shoot birds that his dog has busted, I would not hunt my young dog with him. Both his dog and yours would be learning bad habit's.
Exactly! I would not run a young dog with a dog like this. If you want to hunt together, run one dog at a time until his dog is broke. Actually, I would treat each outing as a training session rather than hunting.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I'll offer to help train his dog because he works out of town a lot. Either that or I'm probably going to have to find a nice way to break it to him that I don't want to hunt my dog around his dog where it will pick up bad habits.