Check Cord - Rope or cord in bulk

Vman

Check Cord - Rope or cord in bulk

Post by Vman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:15 am

At this time I buy my checkcords from LC Supply. The problem is, I buy about ten at at time and give them to my pup customers, and I may be out when someone needs one. I would like to buy a spool of cord like the LC supply cord and make my own. Anyone know where I can buy this type of cord? I have looked but didn`t really have much luck as I don`t know the correct term for that type of cord.

Thanks and Merry Christmas from all of us at Rockwood Kennels

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Check Cord - Rope or cord in bulk

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:25 am

I checked with a local rope manufacturer one time. I showed them a sample of the cord and they said they had never seen nor made anything like it, but they certainly could. All I needed to buy was about 10,000 metres and they would set up the machines. :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:38 am

I see that stuff all the time at Marine supply stores. Try West Marine. It is called Braided Yacht Cord.

West Marine should also have excellent stainless or bronze hardware as well. That is the only place I have seen really nice locking snaps.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Interesting. My son in law is a sailor so I went with him to the marine shop and couldn't find any rope with similar characteristics to the CC rope supplied by either Lion Country or TBI (I prefer the TBI rope myself). I was given a hank of rope by a fellow who picked it up at the marine shop and I tried it but it simply wasn't suitable - it would not trail through the rose thickets without hanging up when the dog made a couple of tight circles.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:42 pm

http://www.neropes.com/ProductImages/la ... set_lg.jpg

This is just one of the types you see at Marine stores. Should be suitable I would think. It is a flat-braided nylon core cord.

http://www.neropes.com/ClimbingLines.aspx

These too are available. This one is really tightly braided.

http://www.neropes.com/ProductImages/la ... yon_LG.jpg

gunner

Post by gunner » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Nylon is strong but you'd best wear gloves as it will surely burn your hands if it comes fly'n through. Old horsemen would never use anything but cotton and hide itself.

I like about 25 foot of cotton cord, thats been and out of a mudhole and dried a few times.

Use a bowline knot to affix a bronze not brass swivel snap and never put a not or loop in the end that could end up catching on something. I know of more than one dog that never came home because it's check cord was knoted and hung up.

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Mcbosco, thanks for the info. but I doubt that is what I am looking for. While I have never been on a sailboat of any type or yacht for that matter, I would think that all ropes used would be suitable for tieing knots if it were to be used on any type of boat. Have you ever bought or used a new TBI or LCSupply cord?
If my memory serves me right Ross Calloway once said he used cotton rope and then soaked them in waterproof type elmers glue. Then pull them out and wipe off the excess and let them dry. I would not doubt that it would work, but I don`t want to mess around with all that either. TBI and LC supply are buying the cord on a roll and makeing them up. So they are buying it someplace. I think the kicker is knowing what it is called when you inquire.
I always thought it was a rubber core, but it is not.

Meller

Post by Meller » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Check with Menphis Net and Twine, they may have what your looking for.

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:07 pm

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Talk to Snips. She makes her own .

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

solon

Post by solon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:22 am

I like the Permatack material. It doesn't burn your hands, is light and highly visible. Whether you can find a source of it in bulk and at a reasonable price would be the question.

http://www.permatack.com/

see: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=11271&start=0

Mary at Permatack mentions in that thread that they buy it in 5000 ft rolls. It may be made in China.

Solon

Vman

Post by Vman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:10 am

I like the Permatack material. It doesn't burn your hands, is light and highly visible. Whether you can find a source of it in bulk and at a reasonable price would be the question.
I had a permatack cord if that is what you call it. Good stuff for tack but I didn`t like the check cord. Gave it a way. I like and want a good Ol`stiff check cord. Something that doesn`t get tangled up, big enough in diameter that won`t burn my hands. I can put a knot at the end if I want without it cinching up. And I can loop it up and hang it off a saddle. Permatack does not meet those requirements. Some things just can`t be replaced.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:15 am

Google blue water climbing rope. Don't but anything but the static rope. I make by own checkcords and sell some also. It is real good material.

Mo

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:19 am

I have an old cotton checkcord that Lou Gleber gave me 15 years ago , the older it gets the better. I have also used lariat rope with good results.

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:37 pm

not in bulk, but

K-9 Komfort, here .....

http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort ... -cord.html

took my pup out on a preserve with a 'cotton rope' and it sucks when it gets tall and/or thick brush, the owner came by to see how we were doing and let us use his CC. A little spendy but "bleep" it glides through the grass and trees like a knife through warm butter.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:36 pm

If I needed a new one I would get the PermaTack. The choice of material really depends on the terrain. NJ is filled with wild roses and any rope is going to be a big pain. It is also soggy here and rope just gets dirty and wet.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:16 pm

mcbosco wrote:If I needed a new one I would get the PermaTack. The choice of material really depends on the terrain. NJ is filled with wild roses and any rope is going to be a big pain. It is also soggy here and rope just gets dirty and wet.
Dirty and wet just makes them better! :D

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:22 am

ACooper wrote:
mcbosco wrote:If I needed a new one I would get the PermaTack. The choice of material really depends on the terrain. NJ is filled with wild roses and any rope is going to be a big pain. It is also soggy here and rope just gets dirty and wet.
Dirty and wet just makes them better! :D
You must not know about the famous NJ Canada Geese. LOL

permy

Post by permy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 am

Hi guys the only part of Permatack made is china is the Weaver hardware, they sold out! for a cheaper price!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:15 pm

I love the permatack check cords, gun lanyards and horse tack. I have tried otehr brands becuase of convenience and NONE of them measure up. I have a dog who peals the paint and I can stop him with my bare hands with the permatack. Would NEVER try it with the others. I know, I know - it's limp. It also never tangles on the grounds and it does not hold the dirt and mud that I can't stand either. I just don't see the need for a stiff check cord.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:04 pm

www.pmirope.com They are a couple of miles from us...Great rope...
brenda

bowhunter1221975

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:15 pm

I have also used lariat rope with good results it is stiff and dont get tangeled just a bit pricey to buy new @ 50 to 60 for 25 ft
RICHARD NANCE