How To Pick A Pup From a Litter?

Onk

How To Pick A Pup From a Litter?

Post by Onk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Ok, so you but your deposit down on a pup out of a litter and the day comes for you to pick your pup from the litter! What do you look for, after all these pups will only be 8 weeks old or so. I've heard people say stuff like roll a ball, take a bird feather....whatever dog shows the most interest. Or look for the Alfa dog, ( most my best dogs were not close to being Alfa dogs), is another common response. I need the insight and thanks again for the help!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Birddogz

Re: How To Pick A Pup From a Litter?

Post by Birddogz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:25 pm

There is no fool proof way. I would basically select one that isn't first or last when running to you as you kneel down. Pick the middle road dog in a great litter. The litter/breeding is more important than anything. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:29 pm

close your eyes and grab one :D :lol:

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:39 pm

dudleysmith wrote:close your eyes and grab one :D :lol:
As good a way as any! :lol:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Pick the sex and color you like and then basically grab one.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:06 pm

As the others have said, there is no way of knowing which one is the best pick. I pick one that appears to be bold [or at least not shy] and pleasing to my eye.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tro182

Post by tro182 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:07 pm

My breeder knows what I am looking for and I will let them make the best educated guess. The breeder knows the pups better than anyone they should help you with the selection.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Kirby this is such a nice litter your gonna have trouble with trying to take them all! I'll have a good idea what's what at 8 weeks but we'll get ya one I'm sure you'll be happy with!
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:16 pm

I've always picked my breeders carefully, been upfront with what I was looking for, and let them pick the pup they felt was the best fit. So far I haven't been disappointed.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 pm

let your kids pick it if you have any.
that way if its not what your lookin for down the road ya got someone to blame. :D

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:37 pm

tro182 wrote:My breeder knows what I am looking for and I will let them make the best educated guess. The breeder knows the pups better than anyone they should help you with the selection.

This is true but, I believe like Ezzy says pick color and sex and then grab one):>)...You see, you and yoru breeder could look at the same pup and he may think it fits your criteria perfectly and yet you may see the perfect reflection in another pup.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:21 pm

I like Birddogz advice.

Apart from color, sex and the apparent temperament, I would look for a pup that has good bone. Substantial throughout the frame, perhaps looks a little too substantial for the dog's age.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:55 pm

I tell buyers to sit with the puppies and let the puppies interact for a few minutes. Usually one of the puppies will show more interest in the buyer than the others. Letting the puppy pick always works well. All the pups from our last litter have down really well in the field, so I am not concerned about whether or not the dogs will hunt. I feel it is important to match the personalities of the puppy to the buyers; the puppies do a good job picking compatible buyers.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:57 pm

eenie meenie minie mo....or cast lots!

Nitrex

PS If we tell you the best way...we'd have to shoot you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merle

Post by Merle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Have your wife pick it out. That way when she catches it chomping on her favorite pair of shoes next week it won't be your fault! I think the more important decision you will make will be should you choose a male or female.

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Great litter... Check
Male/female.... Check

From there I look at build, the feet, the bite, the markings, etc.... The one that for some reason seems to want to go home with me!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:15 pm

I picked the ugly puppy when I got Casey. Oakie was a leftover. When my recent litter was going to new homes, the first buyer wanted a roan male. I had only one. He called a couple of weeks later and wanted a roan female for his uncle. I had only one. Second buyer wanted one that looked like her great grandma's sister that he still owns. Only one fit. Next fellow took the most attentive pup, next wanted a boy, of which only one was left. Last buyer had to choose between two girls, the leftover going to me. I tossed a toy and he picked the one that got to it first and brought it back. There's some real rocket science there.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:34 pm

I love all these answers! Robbie I know these pups are going to be fine looking hunting machines, can't wait to see what they look like! It is kind of fun to be 46 years of age and this friggin excited about a pup! Been a while since I've bird hunted and I can't wait to start working with a pup and watching it grow! Could care less about the kill, more excited for the hunt! You all rock with your answers!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Merle wrote:Have your wife pick it out. That way when she catches it chomping on her favorite pair of shoes next week it won't be your fault! I think the more important decision you will make will be should you choose a male or female.
You are wiser than the day is long. Totally ON POINT!!!!!! Why is it every time my dogs eat something off of the counter, it is my fault? :roll: :lol: :lol:

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:14 pm

At 8 weeks old, you can't tell anything about the long term positive charateristics of that pup. There may be some obvious negative ones that stand out, but i talking about obvious issues with physical problems. You can't determine boldness, birdiness, how they might look on point. Just pick one that has the looks you like. I have had litteers at 8 weeks old I would rank in a certain order and in 2 weeks the order will completely flip. What appears to be bold pups and shy pups can totally flip. Low tails on point become 12 o'clock and 12 tails bend over and touch their back. Have you gotten the picture that at 8 weeks you can't tell yet????

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Let the pup pick you. Or just get two. :D

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:46 am

Don't take your wife unless you're prepared to let her pick. Last time we had the pick of 5 dogs. One took off straight to the field and started hunting and the one we came home with went straight to my wife....it was over. But I'm completely happy with her choice of course. Everyone is right that parents matter more than anything else. I think it was Delmar who said don't look to pup look to parents....very true....I'm jealous, congrats......post some pictures if you get time.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 am

For a just getting in to bird dogs...Look to your Breeder as suggested they will know the litter better then you can determine in an hour

Though there is much growing and maturing there is somethings you can tell in pups have the breeder help get you one that isn't the top pup of the pack..Get one that Yes he wants to play with toys but isn't going to get into a fight because pack leader pup took it away from him

My thoughts on this is this pup will be more inclined to be easier for the person and family that is not as experienced. Not as apt to try and be leader of the pack sometimes making life frustrating for the newer person.

If the breeder has put together a good breeding then pretty much the whole litter should have the qualities needed to be that hunting dog
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:49 am

Merle wrote:Have your wife pick it out. That way when she catches it chomping on her favorite pair of shoes next week it won't be your fault! I think the more important decision you will make will be should you choose a male or female.
This is my plan!

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:44 pm

I've known Dave Scott for I think over 12 years now. Had gotten several dogs from him and hunted with him for years. I made a trip to his place while I was living in Az. to pick up two females from Chief and Babe. He had sent me pictures of all the pups point wings and such. There was this one dog in the background that caught my eye, he wasn't doing anything at all, just standing there. When I got there I asked Dave about this one pup. He said he didn't show much at all, but he caught my eye again. Any way I talked Dave out of this pup. And I quess you can the rest is history. Won his first All Age Derby in AF at 17 monts old against pointers, took his first AKC placement at an AA at 19 months, finished his F/C at 3 and a half years and finished his AFC at fours years. The dog was born broke and hunts like I've never seen. Well sometimes you just go with your gut feelings. By the way his ears, well they are a little long. :D Image

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:44 pm

PkerStr8Tail wrote:At 8 weeks old, you can't tell anything about the long term positive charateristics of that pup. There may be some obvious negative ones that stand out, but i talking about obvious issues with physical problems. You can't determine boldness, birdiness, how they might look on point. Just pick one that has the looks you like. I have had litteers at 8 weeks old I would rank in a certain order and in 2 weeks the order will completely flip. What appears to be bold pups and shy pups can totally flip. Low tails on point become 12 o'clock and 12 tails bend over and touch their back. Have you gotten the picture that at 8 weeks you can't tell yet????
I agree 100%. Having a breeder pick a pup for you because "he knows what's best for you" is completely ridiculous to me.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

rollick

Post by rollick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:39 pm

That dog's ears are perfect! I'm tired of GSPs with short ears...

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:05 pm

If it is the breeding that you have been looking for, pick the pup that has the looks you can live with.
If you don't care what it looks like, reach out and grab the first pup that hits your hand.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 am

Reaching out and picking one is about what I would be doing! I just don't want a overly strong willed dog or a shy reserved dog as a first time pup trainer! From everything I have read the middle of the pack/litter pups are most often the easiest to work with and train.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:03 am

I agree 100%. Having a breeder pick a pup for you because "he knows what's best for you" is completely ridiculous to me.
Pick the genetics and the breeding first but I would still ask the breeder what they have seen as they observed the litter. By the time pups get to 7-8 weeks, they have a social order and have adapted to the environment. The first reactions of the pups up to the age of 4 weeks tells me more about the "programming" of the dog. I have a little male pup that will probably be the last to go from my present litter. He has been the most confident, responsive, early maturing pup by far in this litter..not that the others are lacking...this pup to my mind just has more going on. Had his head up looking me in the eyes at 4 weeks...at 5 weeks he is the pup I have to go find when I bring the pups in. Most folks pick on looks not on general observations. A breeder that knows his lines and his dogs, has watched the pups develop has a lot to offer to the discussion.

I have had several pups sent to me from Europe by breeders I trust...none has been disappointing...maybe not all I wanted but that is not something you can determine at 8 weeks anyway.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 am

JKP wrote:maybe not all I wanted but that is not something you can determine at 8 weeks anyway.
That is all I was saying along with how much a pup can change.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

asc

Post by asc » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:42 pm

I want to see a good dog face.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Now that I have a picture of the pups I still am not sure how to pick, so that only leaves me with the option of taking several! Would'nt that make my wife sing like a mashed cat!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:49 pm

so to explain here is a story.
baby kimber.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Nice...you see I am on the other end of that story...you know keep warming the wife up to the furture pup...worming him into the house...making him a hunting/house dog....wife falls azz over tea kettle for pup etc......you get the picture!

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 pm

I wish I had a nickel for every story I have heard from people that kept the last pup that NO ONE wanted and it turned out to be the best of the bunch.

Pick a good breeding and then pick the one you like the looks of.......or the one your wife likes. :D :D :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 pm

kbshorthairs wrote:I wish I had a nickel for every story I have heard from people that kept the last pup that NO ONE wanted and it turned out to be the best of the bunch.

Pick a good breeding and then pick the one you like the looks of.......or the one your wife likes. :D :D :D
Absolutely the best way to do it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 am

It is hard to tell what the pups look like by the picture, but my son and wife have already had two in the litter that caught their eye. Why i'm not sure, I don't even know if the two are male or female! I trust the breeder, he has been A+ even though I have prob. bugged him with PM's. I am reading and watching every training book, mag and video I can get my hands on. Hope I am not to Gun Ho and screw this pup up! Like I've said before, I've been without a hunting partner (dog) for a couple years or more now and am excited as a 8 year old at Christmas about this pup! The bond of a owner and dog is something else! You could never explain it to someone who has never experienced it!

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:51 am

I wish I had a nickel for every story I have heard from people that kept the last pup that NO ONE wanted and it turned out to be the best of the bunch
Is that what you breeders do...just keep the one that's left over??

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:18 am

kbshorthairs wrote:I wish I had a nickel for every story I have heard from people that kept the last pup that NO ONE wanted and it turned out to be the best of the bunch.

Yup. Delmar Smith said the way he always chose his pup was...whatever was left after the rest were all sold off. He seemed to do OK with his dogs.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:52 am

JKP wrote:
Is that what you breeders do...just keep the one that's left over??
you breeders??? :D
I'm not really a breeder.....I have raised a few litters with some success. It wasn't lucrative by any stretch. The "understood" agreement seemed to go like this........owner of the stud dog got first pick of the litter or a cash fee, settle up any pre-set agreements about "I'll sell you this pup for $XX and a pup to be named later", I'd pick one I like, hopefully sell some to offset expense.
I agree with some of the previous posters about changes that can take place with an 8 week old puppy. My philosophy has always been to seek out a breeding with two dogs I like, decide if I want a male or female and hope that by the time my place in line comes up......one I like might be left.
My current project is a perfect example. Robbi Gulledge had a female that I loved. Her style and looks were what I was after, so I told her that whenever she decided to breed that dog I wanted a puppy. About a year later, she contacted me to let me know they were going to breed Aussie so I sent my deposit for a female puppy. Even though I was that far ahead of the game, there was one ahead of me in line and the breeder wanted to keep one or two. There were only 6 pups, so there wasn't going to be tons of choices to be made.
The quality of the dogs being bred was what I was after. The owner of the sire, Mark Wasserman, has invested years of his time and tons of his money into raising and training outstanding dogs. The puppy that I have is a little over five months old now and I couldn't be happier. Her quality has little to do with me or my choice from the litter........but TONS to do with her parents and a little bit to do with how I have treated her and worked her since taking possession.
The OP inquired how to pick a pup from a litter. I respectfully submit that standing over a box of 8 week old puppies......scratching your head and analyzing where they fit in the pecking order has about as much to do with it as throwing darts at a board. Most of the thinking and research happened before the two parents were ever put together. Pay your money......grab a pretty pup.....and get to work!

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Just my .02, and another nickle for KB, I always went to see the litter, and which ever one followed me or stayed the longest (could put up with me) was the one I took home. I always say look to great bloodlines and go with what your fancy is. Just as an example, I purchased Abbey in Nov., and a buddy wanted one so I called the breeder in Mar. to see if there were plans for another breeding. She still had 2 left, of which neither one was one I even considered. Long story short, he changed his mind, I took one of the last two 4 months later. She (Heidi) was flown to me in March and is probably the better of the two. She is a true All-Age and is just now coming into her handling for me in tight courses. Almost an honest broke dog from the beginning.

When I went to see the litter, I never looked at tail, confirmation, pecking order, just picked the one I liked. Then in the big scheme of things, got a leftover that most would kill for. Now I 'm sorry that I didn't take the male too. A great buddy of mine, Mark Flanaghan of Midnight Mountain Annie fame, curses me to this day for not knowing what I got when I did, being luckier than most in getting 2 great dogs in a lifetime, and not finding every one of those puppies out of that litter and buying em' all.

Ironically, I went to field trial bred dogs to get a great hunting dog. Another great retired trialer, Styles Bridges of Lightning Flash Setter fame, started me trialing them and showed me what I had and now, I'm sucked into the game and can't go back!!!!!! Way too much fun!

Bill
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 pm

I have a w/l britt pup that has been over looked so far in the backyard. Guess what, this pup has it going on: show quaility looks, temperment, nose, style and gun dog range (at least for a 10 week old puppy).
Wife says no more for now, so I am hoping that nobody steps up to buy him. Did I say that I haven't updated the ad for awhile? He might just stay around for a few years. :wink:
ezzy333 wrote:

Absolutely the best way to do it.

Ezzy

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:55 am

I put treats in my pocket and the one who finds and digs at them first.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:06 am

CHJIII wrote:I put treats in my pocket and the one who finds and digs at them first.
Nice - a little nose test. I might try that...

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm going to try, to help, I have raised close to 100 pups now and about 80 of them being english setters.
I'm going to post 4 pic the first two being what a buyer sees in the litter and the rest is what i see.
think about it , after the sex and maybe the color, tell the breeder what you want and take his advice.
more things you can look at is a dog with a little longer nose will not not have as loose of lips [droollll]
as a short block headed dog. A dog with a lower tail set mit not point as exely with the 12 oclock poker tail [mit have a little more of a curl ] His feet and gait mit tell you if he will be a snapy fancy shorter working dog,a nice slow running dog or a bigger fast running dog . some say if you look in their mouth you can tell alot but i havent perfected that one.

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:41 pm

this is what i see in those pups in the same time frame [all the pups are in the first pics.]all about 7-8 weeks
Last edited by taxidermy on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 pm

don't know how i did that ; went from realy big to realy small ; i fixed them

Deacondawg

Post by Deacondawg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:26 pm

If you have a good litter to start then all the pups should have potential. So take the one that tickles your fancy!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Man those are some fine looking dogs there, taxidermy. Talk about your 12:00 poker tails!