Sitting Tight

prairiefirepointers

Sitting Tight

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:30 pm

I woke up this morning to guide some fellas on their ground with my dogs again. I went outside to start the pickup and I had a thick layer of Ice covering pretty much everything. Finally I got everything defrosted and headed out to meet up. We hunted a CRP patch (frozen of course) and I walked right past my young dog that's showing alot of promise as we were spreading out to walk the field. I didn't pay much attention to him, but I noticed him standing there, maybe 10 feet inside the field, head up and tail at 12 O'Clock. He stops alot and will wind like that and move on alot. I've never had a dog do it as often as he does, so I dismissed it. One of the guys walked over by him to line up and walk, and the grass eruped with about 15-20 quail. Nice... However impressive and suprising that was, it far from took the cake on this numbing fridgid day.

Next we were walking a patch, and it was spitting sleet and colder than a well diggers arse in the Klondike, My pointer stud "Cy" locks up on point in front of one of the guys nearest to me. He walks up and Cy crept forward a tad.. I figured perhaps maybe one had been sitting there, or we might have a runner, but figured it too cold for runners. He moved probably 2-3 feet and locked up solid as a rock again. Jay (my distant cousin) kicked the grass and nothing was there. Cy was insistant there was.. All of the sudden Jay seen something move and Cy (Still on point) reaches in and nails this Rooster. Jay took it from him, rung its neck and put it in his gamebag. Not a shot fired. Crazy! :lol:

My first birddog (a various breed birddog mutt) used to catch roosters every once in awhile, but I haven't had a dog do it in several years. For the guys I was guiding, and not being bird dog people, they were amazed... I was like, Yeah that's how ol Cy dog rolls. 8)
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Redfishkilla

Re: Sitting Tight

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:40 am

Nice, Thanks for sharing. 'Ol Cy got a good name.

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:59 am

My 7 month old gsp caught a rooster in ND this year. I was shocked. We went into this tree row and she locked up, I was suprised, looked on the ground in front of her and I saw tail feathers sticking out of some cover. We had a few inches of snow so the rooster was clearly visible. I kicked around infront of my pup and the rooster busted out and she caught him. Probably not the best thing to happen to a young pup, I just took the bird from her and moved on. Didn't have any problems with pointing the rest of the trip.

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:38 pm

I went out Saturday and Sunday in that cold weather too. Man it was cold. The birds were definitely holding nicely. By myself Saturday I shot 3 roosters and a quail. Shot the roosters over my 6 month old pup and she brought each one right back to me. I was a proud papa since she was from Cali's litter this summer. Cali had some tremendous points. Unfortunately they were hens. What do you do other than love em up and move on hoping the next one is a big ol rooster.
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP