Wire Haired Pointing Griffon....

Vaoutdoors42

Wire Haired Pointing Griffon....

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:21 am

I am new to the site and am going to be getting my very first dog soon. I had a list of dogs which I was considering, Brittany, GSP, GWP, LAB, AND WPG. I hunt deer, turkey, predators and waterfowl (some ducks and alot of geese) and wanted a dog which could retrieve and handle the cold weather. I know everyone thinks of labs and so did I, but my wife shot that down. She just never really cared for the breed and its been taken off this list. So this leaves me with GSP, GWP, Brittany and WPG.. I took the Brittany out of the running since it was very small and just didnt like the look as the others (personnal preference) ...The GSP was the one which I really was considering but the forum had alot of post of the GSP not holding up as well in cold water and weather....(i know a vest will help but I wanted something that would handle cold better)
I am now really focusing my search to the Wire Haired Pointing Griffon....my wife was sold when I told her they dont shed... I really like the look of them and what I have read can hold up in the cold weather and loves water. I mostly hunt geese in corns fields...so I just will need to train but what have you guys heard about the WPG as far as a family pet and a watefowl retriever?

Thanks,

Vaoutdoors42

Re: Wire Haired Pointing Griffon....

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:25 am

It appears from initial search these are harder to find and will defiently be expensive..I LIVE IN VIRGINIA.....
Does anyone know of any WPG breeders close by?

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:34 am

Vaoutdoors42 wrote:I....my wife was sold when I told her they dont shed...

Whatever you can con your wife into is fine with me. But I've got a buddy with two of them and he says otherwise.

Mammals shed, unless you pull it out with combs, stripping blades or or brushes before it hits the ground. Where do you think the hair goes?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 am

Vaoutdoors42 wrote:I am new to the site and am going to be getting my very first dog soon. I had a list of dogs which I was considering, Brittany, GSP, GWP, LAB, AND WPG. I hunt deer, turkey, predators and waterfowl (some ducks and alot of geese) and wanted a dog which could retrieve and handle the cold weather. I know everyone thinks of labs and so did I, but my wife shot that down. She just never really cared for the breed and its been taken off this list. So this leaves me with GSP, GWP, Brittany and WPG.. I took the Brittany out of the running since it was very small and just didnt like the look as the others (personnal preference) ...The GSP was the one which I really was considering but the forum had alot of post of the GSP not holding up as well in cold water and weather....(i know a vest will help but I wanted something that would handle cold better)
I am now really focusing my search to the Wire Haired Pointing Griffon....my wife was sold when I told her they dont shed... I really like the look of them and what I have read can hold up in the cold weather and loves water. I mostly hunt geese in corns fields...so I just will need to train but what have you guys heard about the WPG as far as a family pet and a watefowl retriever?

Thanks,
Go to the national club website for breeder listings.

http://www.wpgca.org/

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 am

They all shed, just some dogs shed FAR less. Labs shed 1000% more than a PP does.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 am

You want a WPG and think Brittanys aren't good lookin’? Man……jk.

In all seriousness, have you considered a standard poodle? I think you’re a prime candidate for one. They don't shed, apparently, and are supposed to be really smart. But I'm sure they would be expensive and a good hunting line might be harder to find. Also, if you're going to get a hunting dog that will live and hunt with you 10+ years, don't worry about it being close enough to drive to, a few more dollars for shipping and such won't be that big a deal. You want to find the best bred dog you can find, good luck.

Go with the poodle and send us some pictures. Someone tell him where to get hunting standard poodles. If I ever buy a retrieving dog that's what I'd buy.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:48 am

Boykin or one of the water spaniels, perhaps. Definitely not a GSP. The thing about less common breeds is the breeder often wants some performance participation with the dog. If they are willing to sell one primarily as a pet, they may be breeding for the wrong reason or their dogs aren't up to the rigors of training.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Vaoutdoors42

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks mcbosco...just sent the NE chapter head an email.....but if anyone knows of any liters coming up for a WPG, please let me know.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Redfishkilla wrote:You want a WPG and think Brittanys aren't good lookin’? Man……jk.

In all seriousness, have you considered a standard poodle? I think you’re a prime candidate for one. They don't shed, apparently, and are supposed to be really smart. But I'm sure they would be expensive and a good hunting line might be harder to find. Also, if you're going to get a hunting dog that will live and hunt with you 10+ years, don't worry about it being close enough to drive to, a few more dollars for shipping and such won't be that big a deal. You want to find the best bred dog you can find, good luck.

Go with the poodle and send us some pictures. Someone tell him where to get hunting standard poodles. If I ever buy a retrieving dog that's what I'd buy.

http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/

Since I have a bearded dog I can comment on how unimportant shedding is in the scheme of things. The mess a bearded, wire-haired dog makes with a wet dirty beard and wet dirty feet is far worse than having hair in the house. Don't buy a WPG on the basis of cleanliness.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Mcbosco, sure like your avatar pic.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:31 pm

Oh, you are welcome and thanks.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:53 pm

I have five of them and they DO SHED and ARE NOT hypoallergenic as some may claim...
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:15 pm

I have two WPG's. One doesn't shed much at all. I'm talking miniscule, negligible amounts. The other one sheds some. I agree with the 1000% less than a Lab comment. I have one of those as well. :roll:
The mess a bearded, wire-haired dog makes with a wet dirty beard and wet dirty feet is far worse than having hair in the house. Don't buy a WPG on the basis of cleanliness.
The dripping beard is the worst part of the deal for me. My female somehow doesn't get her beard wet because she laps at the water. My male sticks his whole snout in the bowl and he comes out dripping everywhere! Forget about feeding him table scraps. There are always leftovers in the beard.

There is not a better family pet, IMO, than the Griffon (lest it be a Lab :wink: ). Mine are fantastic with my children. They also love to retrieve birds. They're very hardy in the cold weather and have no problem hunting from dark to dark. I think you could do a lot worse than a WPG, Vaoutdoors. For strictly waterfowling I'd go the retriever route, though.

RdHawg

Post by RdHawg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Winglish wrote:There is not a better family pet, IMO, than the Griffon. Mine are fantastic with my children.
Ditto - I've had two babies since the dogs showed up and the Boys are great around them. We purchased them from a breeder in San Andreas CA. (Not too far for us) We did look at some more distant breeders and it was only around 100$ to ship a pup.

Jodi_K

Post by Jodi_K » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:55 am

Griffs do shed and the beard does definately hold dirt and water. But they are such a sweet and comical dog I'm sure your wife would fall in love immediately! We have one and she is the light of our lives. She is an excellent hunter and the rest of the year (which is most of it) she is a member of the family. Good choice! Definately check out your local NAVHDA Assoc. They will probably be a great help in your search! Good luck! Oh, and they are worth the price tag! :)