Going to see a breeder this weekend...

proudag08

Going to see a breeder this weekend...

Post by proudag08 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:45 am

My wife and I are going to see a breeder this weekend. The parents of the pups we are looking into are not there (they are being trialed right now) but he has some dogs out of the same litter as the sire (as I understand it) and works real close with the dame's owner. What kind of questions should I be asking? What should I look for? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Going to see a breeder this weekend...

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:50 am

How old are the pups now?

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:22 am

He doesnt have any pups right now... Just going to see him and his facility. The dogs I mentioned in my OP are around 2 I think...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:28 am

I think I'd be more interested in talking to the owner of the dam. That's the breeder, technically, and a couple of questions come to mind. Who will be responsible for her care during pregnancy and whelping? Who will be in charge of the early development of the pups while they are still together? You can do a lot to screw up a puppy in 18 weeks, starting at conception.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:31 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I think I'd be more interested in talking to the owner of the dam. That's the breeder, technically, and a couple of questions come to mind. Who will be responsible for her care during pregnancy and whelping? Who will be in charge of the early development of the pups while they are still together? You can do a lot to screw up a puppy in 18 weeks, starting at conception.
When and how pups are weaned is very important to me. If possible, the bitch and pups should be kept together as long as possible and weaned in a natural fashion. I would have a lot more questions but that one is very important.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I think I'd be more interested in talking to the owner of the dam. That's the breeder, technically, and a couple of questions come to mind. Who will be responsible for her care during pregnancy and whelping? Who will be in charge of the early development of the pups while they are still together? You can do a lot to screw up a puppy in 18 weeks, starting at conception.
So let say the answer is my next door neighbor, does that mean I should buy or not buy? I just don't see much relavance to those type of questions as far as the quality of a pup. And I see little relavance about weaning though I do like to see the puppies kept together till at least 8 weeks old. I think Mom and siblings do teach the pups a whole lot that can't be duplicated in any other way.

But my questions would be almost entirely about the health and performance of the adults, parents and other dogs from the line of breeding he has. I'm much more interested in trying to see what the potential for the pup is as an adult than how they did as little puppies. Guess it goes back to what so many have said before, find a breeding you like and then shut your eyes or pick the color you like. Just don't think you can ever learn too much about a dog and it's parents and siblings.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

msrkennels

Post by msrkennels » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Proudag the GULF COAST GSP CLUB is havinf a walking trial this weekend near LAGRANGE you are welcome to come out and see some dogs and get to meet breeders in the HOUSTON AND TX AREA EMAIL ME AT msrkennels@yahoo.com and I can email you directions or recomend breeders in houston.

JKP

Post by JKP » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Just don't think you can ever learn too much about a dog and it's parents and siblings.
+1...I think overall that genetic strength is more important than individual dog achievement. Sire and dam are important but how did all the siblings of sire and dam turn out? How about the 4 grandparents and that generation?

The dam is more important to me...her temperament and character are a big influence on the pups. A good breeder doesn't mind the questions and you doing your homework. None of us are perfect, though, its not like buying a shovel. You will likely be the most important factor as to what the dog becomes. Good luck.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 am

Well this weekend went well.

I didnt get to see the mom or the dad but I did get to meet the breeder and his wife. I got to see his facilities and he had 6 dogs at his place. All from the same type of line. Got to meet the matriarch of his program who is also the great-great grandma (17 years old) of both the sire and the dame for my pups. Of the 6 dogs, he had some of every age and for the most part had the same temperment. 2 of them were natural retrievers and all of them seemed very biddable. Even the 6 month old was well behaved.

His facilities were nice and seemed to be very well thought out. His whelping room and kennels were well taken care of and clean.

I got a little more assurance that I would be able to train with him whenever I moved up that way, so that was nice. All in all it was good to put a face to a name and get a "real" relationship stared not just one over email or phone.