Southern woodcock

redman25

Southern woodcock

Post by redman25 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Does anyone on here do any woodcock hunting around SC, GA, NC..... Just wondering what kind of cover I should be keying on. I've found a few birds. Just looking for some input.

Maurice

Re: Southern woodcock

Post by Maurice » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:54 pm

In the upstate look for creek bottom land with privet hedge or short cane growing. One of my clients flew 30 woodcock saturday. That is not uncommon if you know where to look. This bad weather coming in is going to screw it up for a few days I think but once it clears they should be back.

Mo

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 pm

For their feeding areas, as said, near water, but not underwater. Areas that grow cane is always good, the same places you would dig for earth worms will have woodcock. Look for the chalkings, if they are there, they will leave sign. After years of chasing them I can tell by walking on the ground, it needs to be spongy, but not real muddy, like I said, where there will be worms.

Their loafing areas are often in heavier more mature timber, but when it is cold, they will pick a south hillside in the sun. The cold will often move them South, but they will come back when it warms and more may join them as they come down.

Neil

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:26 am

Thanks. I'm in Charleston and I've moved a few on a small tract close to my house, but not a single bird in two trips to Francis Marion National Forest so far. I've been working the creek bottoms and switch cane, but it's just not happening. I'll give it a go again this weekend, maybe the birds just weren't there yet.

I don't know if they have a different smell or what. My pup will nail down a quail at 50 ft, but seems to have a little trouble picking up on doodles. I've managed to get him about 10 contacts or so and he does better each time, but he doesn't make the same connection that he does with a quail or pigeon. Has anyone ever had this experience?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:40 am

Every dog I have ever had, had to be retrained on woodcock, thanks to their diet, they do not smell like any other game bird. Some had to have a few shot over them before they figured out what we were doing in the swamp.

Many dogs do not like to retrieve them for the same reason, they stink like rotten earthworms. Had one female that would only do so by the tip of the wing with her lips curled back.

Look for the chalk markings in feeding areas, even if only a few birds, there will be some,

Good hunting to you,

Neil

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

That's good to hear, thanks. I was beginning to worry about his nose a couple weeks ago, as I'd only had him on a few pigeons and about as many pen raised quail....he had handled them well though. I took him out to a friends corn field with a few quail and launcher, just to be sure, and he blew my mind. I had 40 foot of cord on the manual launcher and the end of it was at least ten feet out of reach when he locked up. I knew it had to be the smell of the woodcock throwing him off.

If they smell like rotten worms, how do they taste?! :D

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Neil wrote:For their feeding areas, as said, near water, but not underwater. Areas that grow cane is always good, the same places you would dig for earth worms will have woodcock. Look for the chalkings, if they are there, they will leave sign. After years of chasing them I can tell by walking on the ground, it needs to be spongy, but not real muddy, like I said, where there will be worms.

Their loafing areas are often in heavier more mature timber, but when it is cold, they will pick a south hillside in the sun. The cold will often move them South, but they will come back when it warms and more may join them as they come down.

Neil
Is this kind of what we're looking for? This is right along the edge of a canal......

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Yes for feeding cover, not for loafing, it is really a bit thin, but if the ground is right, I would work the dog into the heavier stuff. Look for the white spotches.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Neil wrote:Many dogs do not like to retrieve them for the same reason, they stink like rotten earthworms. Had one female that would only do so by the tip of the wing with her lips curled back.
That is freaking hilarious. I can picture the dog doing that. "Ok, I'll get it, but I'm not going to taste the nasty thing." Smart dog.