The Wait

wills1235

The Wait

Post by wills1235 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 am

The wait is killing me. I'm getting my first GSP in March. If I make it that long. Can't stand waiting for the pup. Now that Pheasant season is almost over, I won't see my buddy's GWP's anymore either. Can you imagine the call? "Hey George, mind if I come by and pet your dogs?" I might be looking for a new hunting partner.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

mcclinj

Re: The Wait

Post by mcclinj » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm

I know the feeling wills,

I got three more weeks myself. Our gsp comes home the 29th. Hang in there!

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Yeah, well try this on for size. The first 2 litters i put deposit on didn't take this winter.......I have deposit on #3 right now with a couple of others waiting in the wings if needed. I am now basically 2 months behind on when i was hoping to have a pup....

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:04 am

Know the feeling, my old britt was retired this year after a few years of really slow hunting for him, been haqrd without him. My new WPG should be coming home in about a month or so, cant wait.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 am

count me in as well. My pup was whelped saturday the 8th. I have 2nd pick M out of a litter of 4m/3f. Been looking at the thread on picking a pup out of a litter and will probably just go with what suits my eye. The kennel is way up north and too far to drive to just make a pick although me and the missus want to drive up to pick him up.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:18 am

Gentlemen,
There are 6 gun dogs here all live in and out of our homes and our homes are well kept, clean and orderly. The dogs live in a disciplined situation and are a great part of our family. Get more than one GSP pup, 2 or 3 would be better. My buddy Harold just had 18 Weimar pups from two of his Dames, he is now up at my mountain home hunting Deer with his Kentucky Long Rifle, and his incredible wife is watching 18 new pups, and three female Weimar dogs. Course we both have the right wives and
we both are retired Militray. Our wives are from an era where men did such things, and ladies loved them for being as they are. Heck get 3 or 4 thinking in the manner like you do.
RGD/Dave

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Gentlemen,
There are 6 gun dogs here all live in and out of our homes and our homes are well kept, clean and orderly. The dogs live in a disciplined situation and are a great part of our family. Get more than one GSP pup, 2 or 3 would be better. My buddy Harold just had 18 Weimar pups from two of his Dames, he is now up at my mountain home hunting Deer with his Kentucky Long Rifle, and his incredible wife is watching 18 new pups, and three female Weimar dogs. Course we both have the right wives and
we both are retired Militray. Our wives are from an era where men did such things, and ladies loved them for being as they are. Heck get 3 or 4 thinking in the manner like you do.
RGD/Dave
Did I miss something? What does this post have to do with this thread? My wife loves me for who I am but I also understand that to be a good husband sometimes I need to put her wants and needs above my own. I'll leave it there to prevent a "in my day" contest.

Anyway, the dame of the litter that I am on the list for doesnt even come into season again until around June sometime, which means I wont be getting a pup until October!!! You want to talk about a wait! Try 10 months on for size!!!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:32 pm

orbirdhunter wrote:Yeah, well try this on for size. The first 2 litters i put deposit on didn't take this winter.......I have deposit on #3 right now with a couple of others waiting in the wings if needed. I am now basically 2 months behind on when i was hoping to have a pup....
Been there too. Took 3 litters to get my first shorthair. Litter #1 false pregnancy. Litter #2 not enough females, with only 2 born. Litter #3 and we finally got our girl. We were able to stick with the same breeder on all 3, so it was good that we didn't have to keep researching new kennels, but it was definitely a time of patience for a couple months.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Prouddog08,
It was just something to start more conversation inside the thread, a way of saying get a few more pups if your lady will allow it.
RGD/Dave

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Prouddog08,
It was just something to start more conversation inside the thread, a way of saying get a few more pups if your lady will allow it.
RGD/Dave
Think most people would strongly advise getting one at a time unless you are unemployed or are working full time as a pro. Just aren't enough hours in the day to give several pups enough time to do them justice. Plus littermates do better seperated and that adds additional problems.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Ive been in contact for a little over a month with a lady who is planning an amazing litter on the east coast. Im still waiting on the Dam to come in heat! The suspense is Killing me!
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Waiting on my Brit here, excited like a 5 year old at Christmas! Comes home I'm guessing around the 20th of Feb.!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

raven34

Post by raven34 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Kinda like vacation right??? Half the fun is getting there!!! :wink:

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Now I'm not feeling so bad about waiting through one false pregnancy. And I actually got a pup a few weeks early because of it. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster!!
Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Prouddog08,
RGD/Dave
My wife would allow it. Many times that's not the issue at all. She wants another Pointer pup. I don't have the time to train two and care for my other responsibilities. Including caring for our rescue dogs.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

tro182

Post by tro182 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Been waiting 5 months for my wirehaired Vizsla and I am down to less than 2 weeks. The wait has been good because it gave us a chance to get everything ready for a new pup. Good things come to those who wait.