What do you think this means?

Brittlver

What do you think this means?

Post by Brittlver » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:59 am

Ok so I went to see the trainer on Monday to see what he can do for me, what his kennels were like and what he thinks of Molly. After talking to him about all his programs and what he can do for us we started talking about Molly. He said she is surprisingly confident for her age. He believes she is going to do great in the field and in Field Trials. This was great to hear as everyone likes to hear that their dog may be a great dog. Now on to the question at hand. When we put all the dogs away he brought out some pigeons to see what she would do with them. Every time he wanted to do something with her she ran behind my wife and sat down. Now a little about us so you know how she acts around us at home. She listens to me very well as she will do most things I tell her to do. My wife on the other hand not so much. Molly is getting a lot better but still likes to test her. So why would she be the one she hides behind when around a stranger in a strange place. Would I be the one she would be by as I am the Pack leader? Or is there a different meaning here? What do you all think. Oh and I should say she is only 4 months. Shes going to the trainer in Feb. to play birds and work on gun shyness nothing really hard until next fall.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: What do you think this means?

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 am

She's going to the person who will not make her do something she doesn't want to do. She was confused by all the new things around her, maybe a little intimidated and she sought out her safety zone. By the way, I don't believe in the "pack leader" theory. I believe that dogs have been developed to work for a reward and do better with a boss than a pack leader in their relationship with humans. My pack leader is an ancient setter-Great Pyrenees mix to which all the dogs defer. I'm their boss.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Brittlver wrote:Ok so I went to see the trainer on Monday to see what he can do for me, what his kennels were like and what he thinks of Molly. After talking to him about all his programs and what he can do for us we started talking about Molly. He said she is surprisingly confident for her age. He believes she is going to do great in the field and in Field Trials. This was great to hear as everyone likes to hear that their dog may be a great dog. Now on to the question at hand. When we put all the dogs away he brought out some pigeons to see what she would do with them. Every time he wanted to do something with her she ran behind my wife and sat down. Now a little about us so you know how she acts around us at home. She listens to me very well as she will do most things I tell her to do. My wife on the other hand not so much. Molly is getting a lot better but still likes to test her. So why would she be the one she hides behind when around a stranger in a strange place. Would I be the one she would be by as I am the Pack leader? Or is there a different meaning here? What do you all think. Oh and I should say she is only 4 months. Shes going to the trainer in Feb. to play birds and work on gun shyness nothing really hard until next fall.
Yeah, she was just a little anxious and overwhelmed. Repetition and happy times will help that.

bowhunter1221975

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:24 pm

all i have to say as above mentioned
and sloooooooooooooooooooowww and steady makes a bird dog
she is a 4 month old puppy
let her be a puppy
it should be playtime bondding haveing fun
why would you want to rush your pup into something there not ready for hence the pup hideing when the trainer brang out a bird
RICHARD NANCE

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:06 pm

I dont think it means anything. If you want to read too much into it, it is probably a signal that a nervous dog went to the place it felt it was going to get the most validation for the response, as in: "ohhh it's ok, it's alright, don't worry etc... "All words puppy didn't understand but in a tone that said, "let me sooth you because yep that is scary" My wife is famous for it and I just ignore her and whichever dog she placates when it happens.

Please understand that I am trying to answer your question and ease concerns with little information. However, the sooner the trainer or someone in the know, gets the puppy "confident" around birds the better. Ignore the shyness of the pup in these situations or you will make it worse. If she is given a chance and not mishandled around birds all of that hiding nonsense will be moot shortly...she will figure out she likes those birds and then your real work will begin.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:29 pm

A pup or dog will always take to the weakest member of the family(The one who does not try and excert authority,and it's usually the woman.It's the same as raising kids,they flock to Mom because they know she's not as stern as Dad.Most women have a hard time being the Alpha person,sometimes is almost unbearable to them.They don't want to "hurt the dog's feelings".It's a security thing for pups and dogs.I obedience trained dogs professionally a few years ago and the worst owners andf handlers I had were women.I'd have dogs trained to a T in all the commands,then turn the leash over to Mom and the dogs would shoot her the Bird(they knew they didn't have to listen now)The best owner and handler I had was a woman who use to be a horse trainer.She already know how to be the Alpha.Not saying All women are like that,but the biggest percentage are.Sorry so Windy.The Point-your pup-She's still just a Baby,she'll gain more confidence and boldness with time and age.Let her mature at Her speed.Also pups will take more to the person that spends the most time with them,usually Mom if she's a stay at home person.
Dog On Point!!

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks for all the responses, Thats what I thought was going on. I know after a day or two of being there with out us there will fix that and she will be all over the birds. This happened at my parents house when we first brought her over but after a couple more times she was all over the other dogs. Again thanks for the response and I am still TEACHING my wife not to do that :lol: I think it easier to train a dog then a wife.

rollick

Post by rollick » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:44 pm

"A pup or dog will always take to the weakest member of the family(The one who does not try and excert authority,and it's usually the woman.It's the same as raising kids,they flock to Mom because they know she's not as stern as Dad."
Wow, BoJack. I mean, just wow. With all due respect, you are SO wrong here it is unbelievable. I rarely comment when people post opinions with which I do not agree, but you have quite honestly boggled my mind with this statement.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Wow rollick,I mean Wow,(hope you're going to be okay from the Shock) I don't know what to say ,other then you're intitled to your opinion,as am I.And mine comes from Experience,Yours?
Dog On Point!!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Do you feel your trainer was being honest with you or giving a sales pitch? Not knowing what the situation was his statements and her reactions dont seem to match. Just keep in mind you need to have a guy that tells you how it is not what you want hear. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck!!!

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:18 pm

I've had a plethora of puppies roll through this place in a relitively short period of time. While I acknowledge every situation and pup is different, I have never had any problem with pups taking to me, and I am FAR from a pushover or weak. Here, the single most important thing next to the pup's physical health, is their socialization process. It is the foundation upon which all is built. How they are socialized early on has alot to do with how they react in aforementioned situations. IMO

And Yes, as stated before. Whats the rush? I start dogs EARLY, but always bear in mind they're still PUPPIES.

Dogs que in on facial expression, verbal tones, body posture and language. Dogs are suprisingly good judges of character. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Brittlver wrote:After talking to him about all his programs and what he can do for us we started talking about Molly. He said she is surprisingly confident for her age. He believes she is going to do great in the field and in Field Trials.
I'm just very curious as to why this trainer thinks that your 4 MONTH OLD puppy will do "great" in field trials. Most well socialized pups are confident and hiding behind your wife does not sound that confident.
Brittlver wrote:Oh and I should say she is only 4 months. Shes going to the trainer in Feb. to play birds and work on gun shyness nothing really hard until next fall.
Really, play birds and work on gun shyness :roll: .

IMO, you are wasting your money and your time sending a 4 month old pup to a trainer. What are you expecting to gain by it? I would suggest keeping the pup with you and working on obedience/simple commands and yard training for a few more months. Have some fun, get him here broke and eventually start overlaying it with the e-collar in a field. Is that a britt or a spaniel? You will get more of your money's worth from a trainer if you already have the basics instilled.

Good Luck
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:17 pm

The situation was we were sitting there and he brought out a couple pigeons for her to play with. He put a check cord on her and knelt down on the ground. He stayed there and threw the pigeon on the ground in front of her. She would look at it and then kinda trot behind my wife and stay there. We did not make any sounds or anything. Just thought it was weird. I know she will get over it. I added the whole field trial in as we were talking about that just before he said that. He said he is a very confident dog and will do good. He walked thru his whole process from the start to the end and I feel he will do a very good job. I saw some of the other dogs work they were very good. Here is his jump start program. Now don't bash him as everyone has their own way of training. He does everything of of the Delmar Smith style.

The jump start program is for puppies, preferably age two to five months, that have not been exposed or had little exposure to birds. Why two to five months? Week six until 20 is considered the "imprint stage." This a critical time in a pup's life for learning that will set the foundation for future hunting and life success. Through this program, training will focus on

proper exposure to birds and the gun shot,
crate training,
building prey drive and field run,
preliminary point of contact establishment for future steadying work,
table work which fosters willing acceptance and is the foundation for retrieval skills, and
socialization skills including pack acceptance.

Now I should also state that she will not be getting any formal training and this program is only in place to get her introduced to birds, Gun and other dogs. Yes I know I could do all this from how with the dvds and all the other stuff. But at this time I do not really have the time. I work 2-10 and have to watch my 1 year old in the mornings so I only have a brief window to work. I do get her around other dogs and in the field and is picking up on that really well. I will be working more with her myself this summer/fall but for now I think this will be good to go thru so she gets used to being on the chain gain, around other dogs(besides my families dogs) and working with other people.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. BTW, that is a cute pup.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 pm

The danger of the written word on forums back and forth and then forth and back is misunderstanding. I think you last post explained your reality well, and Delmar's beliefs match the beliefs of many pros who care to publish their opinion on puppies, imprint and the like. If you have the where with all to allow someone to introduce birds then by all means I think you are on the right track. It sounds like you will have a pro finish the dog as well, so follow their lead. I am sure that you have a lot of questions for your pro and I am equally sure the one about trialing has to be answered in some manner, If he guarantees you an all age titled/champion dog at 4 months...be suspect. NO...run. However, that isn't what I read, I think he said, "your pup has possibilities" and why would he say anything else?

Stay on track if you are comfortable, your Britts breeding is solid and the bird dog is in there somewhere, be patient while it comes out.

Keep us posted,

Joe

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Here are some photos of the Lovely Miss Molly

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Nice looking pup! What lines is se out of.

Good luck with the training. All pups start out differently and at different paces. Dont put pressure on her too early.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:55 pm

That pup is "bleep" near too cute to discipline. She may be a challenge for that reason alone!! :lol:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:59 pm

She is out of K. River Kennels.

Male is: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2513
Female is: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2493

Here is their website: http://www.steadyonpoint.com/index.html

Looks like very good bloodlines

And yes she is to cute to discpline. One look at her and your heart melts :D

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:12 am

My .02, more socialization with guys....but make it fun. Also, get her around some kids too. It's not good to keep in the yard too much at a young age. She needs to be around many different people, all pleasant experiences. Good luck, good lookin' dog.