Please stop bringing things into the house...

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Please stop bringing things into the house...

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:05 pm

A note to the shorthair girls--please stop bringing "things" into the house. I've picked up my fair share of corncobs, sticks, and even a dead mouse or two...that the girls have rocketed into the house with after potty time. The last 24 hours are pushing my limits though. I can't imagine if I had a dog door, where they could come and go freely. :roll:

My husband had let the dogs out at 11:30 last night, and evidently didn't look to see if they had anything in there mouth when they came back in. Both dogs have a liking for horse manure, and one of them brought in a frozen clump which unthawed on the carpet at the foot of the bed over night. I had found another clump inside the fenced dog yard just a few days ago, and think they are stashing it away, when we are all out and about in the unfenced yard and pasture area. Just moments ago, I let them out to potty. Didn't think either of them would be at the door, but when I opened it, Brandi pranced in and I heard a thud on the floor. Argh, she had pranced into the house with a huge frozen squirrel. My husband thought it was hilarious as I tried to kick it into a 5 gallon pail with the occasional eek, hoping it was fully frozen, as in dead. :D I asked him why he didn't do the manly thing and take care of it for me, but he said it was far more fun to watch me do it. :x

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Re: Please stop bringing things into the house...

Post by doco » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey, that's why we have versatile gun dogs, right? I'm on the husbands side, sometimes it's just better to let you gals have at it.

Have a great night,

Bill
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:05 pm

doco wrote:Hey, that's why we have versatile gun dogs, right? I'm on the husbands side, sometimes it's just better to let you gals have at it.

Have a great night,

Bill

You betcha. Love seeing those equal rights in action!! :D

Funny stories. At least they haven't brought in a live badger or porcupine or rattlesnake yet. :wink:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Thats hilarious!!! My Rip used to do that..He had such big lips he could sneek stuff in easily undetected. :x One time he had walked around the house 10 minutes before I saw just feet sticking out of his mouth..."what do you have???" Opened his mouth and it was holding the entire quail with feet sticking out..Still alive!!!!
brenda

doco

Post by doco » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:06 pm

As I was eating dinner, I was recollecting how many times my wife called me and said, Abbey's got a mole in her mouth, Heidi's brought a garter snake to the door, birds, mice, frogs, etc. Thanks for reminding me about how versatile our dogs are. My two actually retrieve beer cans floating on the pond just for giggles. BTW, no equal right comments from me, I learned long ago when to hold em!

Bill
Last edited by doco on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:34 pm

gpblitz wrote:I thought you were a pure outdoors woman, I love those equal rights too!!! :lol:
Only 95%. :D I don't care for big spiders, snakes other than garters, or surprises like mice jumping out at me. And I'm real glad that the gar that I pulled out of the water this summer, threw my hook before I had to figure out how to get it off my line. I don't have a particular fondness for tree rats in the house either, especially if I'm not 100% positive they're dead. If I could've shot it first, I would have felt a lot better about the whole thing. It's in a bucket out on the deck, and if it's still there by morning, I'll consider it dead! :D

This was hardly fair anyway, because I had to clean up the horse doody too! :x

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:37 pm

could be worst my weim brought home the neighbors cat one night,that ended the doggy door right there...

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 am

heeee, heee, heeee,

Beat him up some for making you deal with it!

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:01 am

I was sitting at our kitchen table one day discussing some new landscaping with a designer. As we were talking she started shifting in her chair, looked down under the table and said "I didn't know you had a cat". Cat? We don't have a cat.... looked under the table and there was a live young groundhog sitting at her feet.
Nearby was my GWP bitch with a very intent and amused look on her face.

The designer and I were up and out of the kitchen in a flash, the dog and groundhog in a mad chase through the house....she cornered it in the dining room, a good shake and it was done. Husband dutifully dispatched to fetch and dispose!

That Wirehair just loved to bring things home for us... dead or alive.
And yes, we do have a dog door. Some very nasty things have been brought through that door.... dead and alive!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

doco

Post by doco » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:16 am

Speaking of Gar, that reminded me, she also brought back a badly decomposed 12" largemouth from the pond one day. All smiles and proud and delivered it to my feet. Didn't want it to hand. Couldn't reprimand her she was just doing what they do. Wonderful 45 min. ride home in the car, and a wonderful evening of fish breath. I might have rather had the skunk smell for 1 night.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:41 am

I guess I'm lucky. I get avocados from the grove... she brings them to me almost every day so I keep them until they ripe and feed them to her. She also likes pieces of drain pipe but I stopped that one.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:19 am

ultracarry wrote:I guess I'm lucky. I get avocados from the grove... she brings them to me almost every day so I keep them until they ripe and feed them to her.
Man, I know where to turn for my guacamole supply. :wink: Reminds me of those dogs over in Europe they train to find truffles. I guess we're a little early for the "mushroom finder" threads to start here on GDF. To me, that's an excellent use of a dog's nose.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 am

I just laughed out loud in the quite office. Thanks for sharing wems, great thread.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:56 am

When we were on the farm we had a dog that would catch field rats out of the feed cribs and deposit them at my wifes feet when he came back inside. He always looked up with a look of excitement. I don't think he could ever figure out what my wifes jumping and screaming was all about, I think he thought he should be rewarded!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 pm

TOO FUNNY WEMS. Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:38 pm

My Wirehair Ricki used to bring me possums. I'd let the dogs out at 5:30 in the morning, and she'd come running back in the house and drop a possum on my slippers in exchange for a dog cookie. One year she caught the same one 5 times before she finally killed it. I'm always the one who has to dispose of them too! That's the problem with showing the guys we are capable women. :)
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Now if they would just bring birds in there would be no need to go treading through the snow to hunt them! Maybe you can even get Roxie to put on an apron and cook them. Talented shorthairs, I tell ya!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

k2k

Post by k2k » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 pm

fuzznut wrote:I was sitting at our kitchen table one day discussing some new landscaping with a designer. As we were talking she started shifting in her chair, looked down under the table and said "I didn't know you had a cat". Cat? We don't have a cat.... looked under the table and there was a live young groundhog sitting at her feet.
Nearby was my GWP bitch with a very intent and amused look on her face.

The designer and I were up and out of the kitchen in a flash, the dog and groundhog in a mad chase through the house....she cornered it in the dining room, a good shake and it was done. Husband dutifully dispatched to fetch and dispose!

That Wirehair just loved to bring things home for us... dead or alive.
And yes, we do have a dog door. Some very nasty things have been brought through that door.... dead and alive!
Fuzz
Oh, jeez, I can totally visualize that one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wish I'd seen it in person, lol!

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Brownie, My half masked bitch in my Avatar used to bring "gifts" into the house through the dog door. These episodes happened before we remodeled half the house and put up the dog gate in the mudroom, but before that they had free reign of the house.

Brownie used to "stalk birds" in the backyard. We all knew she was "kinda off" anyways, and it amused me to watch her. She would tuck herself into a hide e hole between the gas grill and the back porch steps leading into the house. It was like her "blind" :lol: She would sit there patiently, intense, and intently until a starling or greckle or whatever kind of nasty little black spotted bird would come to land in the backyard. I don't have any idea how she did it but MANY times she'd catch them alive!

I'll never forget the day she first came into the house with a bird in the mouth, walked right up to me and as I noticed what it was, she let it go. (I swear she was chuckling to herself) It wasn't able to fly, but man did it have its track shoes on! :lol:

My newlywed wife was SOOOOOOO impressed. My "boys" (the black lab and my pointer stud) just looked at me like WTH?? They knew it was trash, but they looked REAL confused as to what to do about it. :lol: Brownie, meanwhile was hellbent on catching it again and was dumping over endtables, I was turning over furniture, and a brand new piece of cherry trim I had just put up in the living room busted to pieces as the couch fell against it. It was a scenario to say the least.

That wasn't the last time she did that. Luckily for me, my wife was'nt at home the other times it happened.

Godspeed, Brownie. :(
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 am

My dogs do the same thing. I have a picture somewhere of my older girl standing at the back door with a large frozen treasure in her mouth looking like a chipmunk :mrgreen:

We did not let her bring it in the house, and I did not let her give me any kisses for a long time - but man was it freakin' funny!

My new pup, Luci, found the paw from a groundhog I had dusted. When she ran to the door I yelled to my wife "grab what she has in her mouth!" She grabbed it and pulled a total girl reaction. :lol: She grabbed what she thought was a bone and out came a "paw-cicle" with the dog bouncing around pissed that her treasure was taken from her! I about fell over laughing! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:40 am

The two we often get is our oldest will catch ground squirrels, she loves the chase, but they quickly die and she runs around the yard throwing them in the air trying to get them to continue the game. The youngest brought in a baby bunny this summer my wife was reading in bed and when she looked down there she was looking at her like look at the present I brought you. I got in real trouble though when I used as a force fetch opportunity for our oldest dog and had her fetch it and carry it outside! :D
Doyle

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:34 pm

What the heck? A dog door means "that's life with dogs", but wems2371 doesn't have one. So how tough is it to block the door,whoa the dogs and tell them to 'drop it" if they're carrying something? If you whoa them consistently at the door (it is shut, right?), they'll stop on their own.

My fine GWP always wants to carry her toys outside to show them the best parts of the back yard (or maybe to hide them there). I just stopped her at the door and told her to drop it (actually, I said "hand it over"). After awhile, she just put her toys down nicely at the door and picked them up when she came back in.

Put up a big bright sign on the door for hubby to remind him. "Whoa!..drop it!" Eventually, they'll probably do it on their own..maybe. And they'll certainly stop and wait for orders.