What do you guys think of these pups???

nightmaregundog

What do you guys think of these pups???

Post by nightmaregundog » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 pm

I put a deposit on a male pup, That in the first 4 generations has GUARD RAIL, MILLER'S SILVER BULLETT, ADDITION'S GO BOY,& HONKY TONK ATTITUDE. Was wondering what i can expect from this kind of pup. I will take all the info i can get.

Thanks in advance JOE

BoJack

Re: What do you guys think of these pups???

Post by BoJack » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:01 pm

You shuold know or see(or find out) what Both parents are like,and the kind of pups they may have produced in the past (*Checkable References from the breeder)Paper or names doesn't make the pup or dog,genetics and how they're passed down do,good and bad.If the parents have been bred before your breeder should be able to supply you references from people who has previous pups.
Dog On Point!!

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:02 pm

nightmaregundog wrote:I put a deposit on a male pup, That in the first 4 generations has GUARD RAIL, MILLER'S SILVER BULLETT, ADDITION'S GO BOY,& HONKY TONK ATTITUDE. Was wondering what i can expect from this kind of pup. I will take all the info i can get.

Thanks in advance JOE
Looking into my crystal ball as I type.. Uhmm, lets see... An EP pup that should point birds like any other pup.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:36 pm

There are 30 dogs in a 4 generation pedigree and you give us 4 dogs??? How bout a complete pedigree. Those four are good ones, but to me that doesnt really tell me much.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:05 pm

They will be mostly white and have long tails.

Second the comment that four dogs out of thirty doesn't say much. Bull has been gone over eight years, Jack over eighteen. There's a lot of other influences possible in that amount of time, even if those dogs were brought in through AI to the front of the pedigree.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Sounds like you have the blood to make for an excellent bird dog. I always heard the best way to end up with a good wild bird dog is to start with good bloodlines.

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:22 pm

I would say it depends on how close those 4 dogs are to the pups. The sire and dam will have more effect on the pups than those dogs if they are 3-4 generations back.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:25 pm

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:34 pm

If this is the litter, I would say it depends on what you are looking for in the pup. If you are looking for a good hunting dog, you are probably in good shape. If you want a field trial dog, then I would say both the sire and dam come from good backgrounds, but neither has been trialed. Many breeders use brood bitches, but for me I like the sire to be proven in the field trial game if that is what I want in the pups.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:51 pm

The pup will work out fine...just get it out and hunt it and go from there...

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:55 pm

dudleysmith wrote:The pup will work out fine...just get it out and hunt it and go from there...
+1

nightmaregundog

Post by nightmaregundog » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:46 pm

mainly a hunting dog but want to try the NSTRA game because it seems to me to be the closeest thing to real hunting and thats a few more birds i can put the dog on. But the trials will just be a for fun thing no big expectations of winning

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Of the dogs you named, two had a reputation for being hardheaded among some and two are out of consistent AA lines. Sounds like you've got some potential horsepower to rein in. The breeder is a commercial breeder with a lot of non-competitive and retired trial bred dogs on their breeding rotation. There is proven blood there, so you should have the material to do whatever you like, considering your priorities. Good luck. Have fun.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:32 pm

I have no doubt that pup will bring what it needs to bring to the partnership.

The challenge is for us to bring it out of them without getting in their way.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 pm

PkerStr8Tail wrote:
If this is the litter, I would say it depends on what you are looking for in the pup. If you are looking for a good hunting dog, you are probably in good shape. If you want a field trial dog, then I would say both the sire and dam come from good backgrounds, but neither has been trialed. Many breeders use brood bitches, but for me I like the sire to be proven in the field trial game if that is what I want in the pups.
I would say that there are some really nice trial dogs by or out of littermates to the Spirit dog wouldnt you PkerStr8?

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 pm

tn red wrote:
PkerStr8Tail wrote:
I would say that there are some really nice trial dogs by or out of littermates to the Spirit dog wouldnt you PkerStr8?
You're obviously trying to refer to my dog, but that is not even close to a comparison. Here is why. Each individual dog in a litter is not the same and does not necessarily inherit the same traits. To say a littermate that produces will mean the brother or sister will produce is not close to accurate. Not to mention, in the case of my dog, you enter into the equation that she was sired by a proven National Champion. Most breeders use brood bitches and will look for the bitch to have a desireable pedigree then breed it to a sire that is proven. Not saying that is right or the best way, just a common practice. I have not seen the practice of using that theory to the sire. This does not mean they won't be great bird dog as I originally stated. This same thread was posted on Ross's site and Ross attempted to give an honest opinion(not well received there either) in relation to this pup having field trial potential as I did, but I keep forgetting that there are no ugly babies in the world. When someone asks you if their baby is cute, the response should always be yes instead of giving an honest answer to the question. Ross pointed out that the sire has not yet shown a high percentage of field trail winners. This does not mean he doesn't produce top notch bird dogs. The OP seemed to only want to be told that his baby was cute based on his response on the other site. If you ask opinions, you don't have to like them all, but you are asking for opinions.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

tn red wrote:
dudleysmith wrote:The pup will work out fine...just get it out and hunt it and go from there...
+1
+2

I would not get to overly concerned about what FT'ers say about it, more often than not the biggest difference between a Field Trial Dog and a good hunting dog is just money and enviorment.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Your pup will be mostly white and will have a long tail. He will probably point birds and may make you catch your breath in fear the first time he shoves it down into overdrive and becomes a speck in a few seconds.

He may inspire you.
http://www.strideaway.com/strideaway/in ... o-Boy.html

He may vindicate you.
http://www.smkdogs.com/Sires_1b.html

He may break your heart.
http://railwaykennels.com/grstory.html

He will probably steal your sandwiches and slobber on your water bottle if you try to share with him. He will be a lot of fun and a true learning experience and a remarkable journey if you let him.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Not all longtails will slobber on your waterbottle! That's profiling! :D
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

displaced_texan wrote:Not all longtails will slobber on your waterbottle! That's profiling! :D
I said probably! :D

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:Not all longtails will slobber on your waterbottle! That's profiling! :D
I said probably! :D
Ahhhhh. I read it as probably steal sandwiches, will slobber.

I've learned that sharing a bottle with your dog keeps most people that didn't think to bring their own bottle from wanting to share yours.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Never looked at HTA's pedigree before. Looks like he is about 3/4 Fiddler and an 1/4 Additions Go Boy to me. Just an observation I had never noticed before.