Expert help with picking a breed

Redfishkilla

Expert help with picking a breed

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am

My buddy is just coming into the market for his first dog. He doesn't hunt upland game enough to warrant a big running pointer but he does have a deer hunting ranch where he bow hunts a lot. He also hunts deer sheds and doves. So, I think he needs a breed that is smaller(will be house dog), 60lbs at most, will retrieve naturally, is naturally close working, wants to please and will track and hunt sheds. I think pretty much any dog with a desire to fine something could be trained to hunt sheds, so we need at least a little natural tracking "blood" for lack of a better word. I have and love brittanys so my first thought for him was field bred english springer spaniel but I thought I'd write this post to get the expert's opinions. Are there any small hound dogs that aren’t as vocal as a beagle? There are so many breeds out there I couldn't possibly have thought of them all. He's not interested in a GSP or a Lab which I'm sure would be high on people's list. Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Expert help with picking a breed

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

A Harrier?

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 am

English Cocker? A Field bred English Cocker!
Tom

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am

Boykin Spaniel!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am

Best tracking dogs are the wirehair datschunds. But I dont think they will retrieve your doves.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:23 am

Is the dog going to make him become an upland hunter?

Only asking because that is what drives me to chase birds:D
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 am

I think he could get into upland hunting a lot more with the right dog, I'd like to get him at least a flusher the more I think about it. A hound type dog wouldn't give him the desire to seek out more upland opportunities. But you're right, it's hard to own a bird hunting dog and not want to go bird hunting. Funny how that happens.

Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 am

RFK,
Your buddy might want to think about a Small Munsterlander, it should do about everything he wants and then some things that might surprise him.
The dogs are about the size he requires, track any thing and point & flush birds also.
RGD/Dave

Great family dogs also
L.C. one of our Small Munsterlanders, looking at her young master as he holds the birds she pointed for his gunning

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:57 am

With what you list as important, a female DD would be perfect. They will track, retrieve, point, etc.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 am

northern cajun wrote:Best tracking dogs are the wirehair datschunds. But I dont think they will retrieve your doves.
Yep. They also use Jagdterriers for that - they are tough little SOB's. They chase fur, not birds though.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:07 pm

An Airedale?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
northern cajun wrote:Best tracking dogs are the wirehair datschunds. But I dont think they will retrieve your doves.
Yep. They also use Jagdterriers for that - they are tough little SOB's. They chase fur, not birds though.
Jagds, working JRT's (if they call it a "Parson," run; it's a show dog), rat terriers, Jackrats (designer trash dogs, but good little utility hunters), or mountain feists, would all suit his needs. Most shed hunters use Labs or versatiles and he already doesn't care for those breeds. Maybe he'd like to get into squirrel or rabbit hunting and all those little terrors are fine at that game.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Cajun, teckels would be the ticket, only they're more likely to retrieve doves *and* eat them.

What kind of spaniel was that you were recommending again? - maybe help us out here, Ezzy. :wink:

Of course, best thing 'bout a Boykin is, you could feed 2 1/2 of them on that 60-lb. limit.

MG

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 am

Crackerd, I was waiting to see your dog carrying a deer!! Love the pics :D (brian)
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:27 am

I would say a DD .. a female would be in the 50-60 lb range but if your friend has ruled out a GSP, that may not be an option. I have seen quite a few Small Muensterlaender and have been very impressed. They are a well kept secret...great dogs in a smaller package that can do it all with a bit of exposure and patience. Those I have seen are calm in the house but have some "giddy-yup" when it comes time to work. I'd give the SM some consideration. Very few breeders and they are serious.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 am

The only real expert in picking a breed is the person getting it after researching as much as he can. I think this a good resource for him but he has to decide what he likes.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:55 am

I would think a working spaniel type would be the right type of dog for him. I can tell you without a doubt to stay away from the JAGD as a first dog.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 am

Dirtysailor wrote: I can tell you without a doubt to stay away from the JAGD as a first dog.
:D Yeah - or maybe even 2nd or 3rd for one of those little Tasmanian Devils. :lol:

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

If they were 50 pounds, they could kill a cougar, and then a pit bull. :lol: Unreal toughness.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:09 pm

Birddogz wrote:If they were 50 pounds, they could kill a cougar, and then a pit bull. :lol: Unreal toughness.
I wouldn't be surprised if three experienced Jagd's could kill a moutain lion or a pit bull, working together, eventually (as long as the lion stayed out of the trees).