Free Goose: quick and easy recipe, preferably skinned?

rollick

Free Goose: quick and easy recipe, preferably skinned?

Post by rollick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:24 pm

I was just given a free goose (yum!), but I don't really have time to pick it. Plus, I know a lot more about cooking quail/pheasant/dove/etc than I do about geese and ducks. Anyone have a quick and easy recipe for a skinned goose?
BTW: Yet another reason to hunt with a dog: the idiots around my brother's farm don't, so he winds up finding the cripples they can't, after they have left. Get a dog! :lol: Then you can not only have more good stuff to eat, but you also have the fun of watching a dog do what it does best.
Thanks in advance,
Rollick

jimbo&rooster

Re: Free Goose: quick and easy recipe, preferably skinned?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:50 pm

I breats them out and will cook them Med Rare on the grill with some salt and pepper, then slice it thin then serve it with a little horse radish. Or Ill cut them into 1x2 in pieces and wrap em in bacon and grill em till the bacon is done. I like to marinade the goose in a good cheap black berry wine personally then pat them dry before grilling.

Hope that is helpful.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:58 pm

Trick is don't overcook or even cook well done. Leave it rare to medium at most.

I like a good rub on my goose, I like a bourbon rub Ive recently found. Then I just pan sear them in Olive oil and cook gently to medium rare. Ive also been told (haven't tried it yet) that the turkey fryer works well on a goose, and injecting them.

PS....that sounds good Jimbo.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:01 pm

I breast them then grind the breast with some pork sausage of pork fat whatevre i have handy and make them into burgers so so so good.

Merle

Post by Merle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:06 pm

Sorry to say there really isn't a good way to fix sky carp, it just tastes bad no matter how you cook it. We breast all of ours out and put them in the freezer. At the end of the season we grind em up with pork and make smoked sausage out of it. If you do grill it soak it in milk for a day or two first then wrap in bacon and don't overcook. Of course if you drink a bottle of wine first it just might taste pretty darn good! :wink:

rollick

Post by rollick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:53 pm

thanks folks! I'm getting a good idea for dinner tomorrow night. I just skinned that sucker and left the tasty bits out for my neighborhood fox, bless him. "Sky Carp"!? Hysterical!

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 pm

The best way that I have found to prepare "Flying Liver" is to first take the inside out of a Bic pen and gently insert it into one of the Primary quill feathers and you now have a quill pen. Then throw the rest of the goose away. Seriously though, I have taken the breasts out and fileted them in half and pan fry them lightly and place a dollop of mushroom stuffing on top and wrap it in puff pastry dough and make an individual Wellingtons out of them and cover the whole pastry with mushroom gravey after you bake it. Then you carefully east the pastry and stuffing and then you throw out the goose. JK, however I did make it that way at a wild game dinner for 25 people and it was fairly edible.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm

I tried 50 recipes and this by far is the best.
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
garlic
pepper
1 tbsp parley flakes
This makes 6 gooses breasts (split)
Marinate over night in a ziplock and then grill.

around here they call it Goose Juice works on venison also. We refer to the snow goose as "Sky Carp" but some people make jerky out of it.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Two bite size pieces wrapped in bacon, grilled medium rare. Usually seasoned with Tony Chachere's. Haven't met anyone yet that doesn't think it's great like that.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:34 pm

displaced_texan wrote:Two bite size pieces wrapped in bacon, grilled medium rare. Usually seasoned with Tony Chachere's. Haven't met anyone yet that doesn't think it's great like that.
That is another of my favorite ways to cook it.
When cooked properly on the grill, goose is maybe my favorite wild game. Don't overcook it!
I cook it many ways, my favorite is to use my meat slicer and cut a few strips off the top and the bottom about 1/4" thick, cut it down where it has even thickness throughout, i use the strips for jerky on the dehydrator. Don't overcook it! I the trim off the outside into the shape of a steak you would buy at a store, only better. Don't overcook it! You can marinate if wanted, sometimes i do, sometimes i don't.I then top off with Montreal Steak Seasoning and grill on a hot fire to rare to med rare, normally 3-5 minutes per side. And just in case i forgot to mention, Don't overcook it! Or you will get the livery taste and and become chewy. When cooked properly it is extremely tender, juicy and very good. Don't overcook it!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Get a hog. Feed the goose and any further gifted geese to the hog. Enjoy the bacon and ham.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

rollick

Post by rollick » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 am

OK, so what I've learned is: 1. Don't overcook it. After you haven't overcooked it, then 2. Don't eat it. You people are highly amusing. (Seriously, though, thanks for all the recipes!)

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am

Goose is a love it or hate it thing. Past medium rare it starts getting tough and chewy fast...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:10 am

Goose is delicious if not overcooked. Marinate, then grill to medium rare and then slice it thin over salad with dried cranberries and blue cheese and onions.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 am

Birddogz wrote:Goose is delicious if not overcooked. Marinate, then grill to medium rare and then slice it thin over salad with dried cranberries and blue cheese and onions.

See, Just lIke Liver!!! Hahahaha....................

If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:02 pm

You guys act like liver is bad. Not only is it the most nutritious thing on the planet, it is delicious. Deer liver, beef liver, pork liver Branshwiger, fried chicken liver, goose liver, etc. All delicious. The alpha male wolf eats first, as does the the dominant lion of the pride. They eat the liver first. :wink:

All this being said, I don't think goose tastes like liver when it is prepared properly.
Last edited by Birddogz on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

rollick

Post by rollick » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 pm

I agree: liver IS delish! But not if it's cooked til it turns grey, like my grandmother used to do...

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:18 pm

Birddogz wrote:You guys act like liver is bad. Not only is it the most nutritious thing on the planet, it is delicious. Deer liver, beef liver, pork liver Branshwiger, fried chicken liver, goose liver, etc. All delicious. The alpha male wolf eats first, as does the the dominant lion of the pack. They eat the liver first. :wink:

All this being said, I don't think goose tastes like liver when it is prepared properly.
Good thing I'm not a male or a wolf! :lol: :mrgreen: I can't even stand the smell of liver.

Cheryl