The Weather

fishvik

The Weather

Post by fishvik » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 am

How's that C&W song go "As long as old men talk about the weather...". Well that seems to be the topic of the day (other than the goings on in Middle East). So here in beautiful S.E. Idaho we have between 120 and 180 percent snow pack in the hills and it is currently clear and -20 degrees F. Thank the good lord the wind stopped. I guess that's why they call it winter. What's it like in your neck of the woods?

gripper39

Re: The Weather

Post by gripper39 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:13 am

about 20 inches of snow fell last nite and the wind gusts were clocked around 60. I got a drift in my backyard as tall as my fence. Ill take the day off though, I can't go anywhere.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 am

Hoping everyone fares OK thru these extreme conditions!
brenda

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:38 am

Let the pack out this morning to go potty i started digging my way to the kennel took 30 mins to get there then another 1 1/2 to clean out the kennels then i started looking for the dogs there no where to be found ! my wife had let them in because they were begging to go in side :mrgreen:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:48 am

Oklahoma is Closed.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 am

Around 12" of snow here in eastern KS, windy and 5 deg. Had to clear a path to the yard for the old britt to go potty, he didn' like his weiner dragging on the snow, poor guy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 am

Saw Time get high centered while she was out this morning trying to run through the snow.. Looked like she was running and not moving when she would hit a drift. Got about 3 ft in front of the door and the two older dogs stood and looked for a bit before trying to find a way around or over it but Comet didnt hesitate and just hit it going full out and disappeared for a bit till he got through to the other side. Just like a kid he thought it was fun and had to check every fir tree where the birds were sitting, Can't tell how much we got as it ranges from the 6 inches we already had to 4 foot drifts.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:06 am

gittrdonebritts wrote:Let the pack out this morning to go potty i started digging my way to the kennel took 30 mins to get there then another 1 1/2 to clean out the kennels then i started looking for the dogs there no where to be found ! my wife had let them in because they were begging to go in side :mrgreen:
Now thats funny :lol: :lol:.. my town is shut down here in Canada as well..as i said in another post our stairs to our pool almost blew off the deck (where they were stored for the winter) and pool cover GONE so its full of snow and ice..got about 9 inches of snow and no school for the kids :( ...now im watchin the neighbour across the street blow the snow from his driveway onto his neighbours driveway with his snow blower :lol: ......ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 am

Hanna, my gsp, wants no part of the cold. She runs out, does her business and comes right back in and on the couch. Puck, my gwp/lab loves it he's out rolling and burrowing in the snow and doesn't want in for at least a half hour. With the winds we had alot of our fresh snow we had in valleys is now in Wyoming.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 am

Took this picture of my backyard this morning,Image Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 am

Yeah right, Ezzy. I'm jealous of that garden though. Last spring I got some yellow squash and planted them, they grew up to be acron squash. I was a little peeved.

Thanks for the reminder of what green plants look like. :D

Yeah, about the weather, it was -3 this morning with a high of 8 today, -20 wind chills, but that doesn't compete with some of you up north, I feel for you and won't complain about our temps.
Last edited by Redfishkilla on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 am

18" here, or so they say, and up to -30 wind chill over the next 2 days. Snow was blowing horizontal last night, and we got a large crack of lightning around 9 pm that gave me a good startle. My husband drives a semi route during the winter for USPS, and they told him to stay home. Major 4 lane roads are closed down. There was an EMS page that came over the radio last night, for a neighboring department--woman in labor, 4th pregnancy/child. They sent 3 different plow trucks out to get a path for the ambulance to the rural address and the hospital. Hopefully everything went okay, and that kid will have a heck of a story involving his/her birthday.

My husband is currently out trying to conquer our long driveway with our Polaris 700 ATV, even though the neighbor is bringing an end loader up later today. He already got stuck once, so the gopher (me) had to bring him some tools, when a winch line clamp broke. He says he's got nothing better to do. Evidently he didn't see my list... :D

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Fishvk- I'm in Idaho Falls too and it's miserably cold this morning. Glad all I have to do today is hole up in the house.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:14 pm

It's bad here, I know because I am a rural mail carrier and this is only the third time in 26 years we did'nt run the mail. First two times were ice, this time no mail got thru to us to carrie. The town spent about 18 hrs in total shut down!

Wems I did'nt figure you for the husband list type! My bad!

Ezzy, you might want to change the date on your camera! It appears to be set wrong! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Its nice and clear here now. Last night was horrible, I work for American Family and they didn't let us go home until 10 pm. My wife lost the keys to my truck so I had to take her car to work. My normal 15 min. trip took 1 hr. 15 mins. to get home. Some spots couldn't see 5 feet in front of the car and other spots were the drifts were almost as tall as the car. Made it all the way home and ended up getting stuck half a block from my house. Ended up walking the rest of the way to get my wife and ended up finding the keys to my truck in the door handle, I live in a quad plex so a neighbor must have found them. Luckly I was able to pull her down the road and then push her in the driveway. God I love 4 wheel drive. Glad it is over now, hopefully we wont get any more snow for the rest of the year. Molly my britt loves it, wants to go out ever 10 mins to play in the snow. Can't wait to get her in the deep stuff, Think I'll take her her soon and take some pictures for you people.

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Need a truck to get to my place for sure. We have had over 60'' of snow so far this winter. And global warming...whats that?

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Oklahoma is Closed.
Not all of it. Quick Trips are open.

I've had enough of the snow.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 am

Cry me a river! Storm of the century they call it. We must have 5 "storm of the centuries" a year in ND. :lol: Yesterday morning was -25 with -45 windchills. My kids had school, and played outside at recess.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:03 am

Birddogz wrote:Cry me a river! Storm of the century they call it. We must have 5 "storm of the centuries" a year in ND. Yesterday morning was -25 with -45 windchills. My kids had school, and played outside at recess.
Heck Birddogz, 20 more degrees warmer and you guys in ND and Minn. will be out in t-shirts wanting to go water sking. I want you to know that with our cold weather last night even the indoor rink had harder ice for hockey practice.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 am

Funny thing is that this morning it was 22 degrees when I got up to start the truck. I felt like dancing a jig it was so darn warm. :lol: High of 32 today after that bitter stuff. I think I actually cold wear shorts. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.