brad27

she aint pretty but.........

Post by brad27 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:34 pm

she was cheap!

I had a few goals for my first coop:
1. spend as little money as possible
2. spend as little time building as possible
3. spend as little money as possible

It's two roomed, one side for homers, the other for common. I haven't cut in a door for the homers yet. 95% of the wood is scrap/salvaged. chicken wire is salvaged also. I still need to put some kind of roofing material on it, just waiting for something free :mrgreen: Might paint it also if the price is right. Took about 15 hours to build including gathering of used wood. Final price, about $60.
1.JPG
Not the squarest thing, but not bad considering the quality of wood and time spent.
7.JPG
Hope they like sitting here.
3.JPG
Overall it was a good project and I have some ideas for the next one I'll build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by brad27 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

44magnum

Re: she aint pretty but.........

Post by 44magnum » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Great job! I'll be building one as soon as I move. I'm impressed that you made so much of it with salvage lumber.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Very nice! Pigeons don't care how pretty it is--and they'll have it all broke in and pooped up in less than a week anway. :x

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Cheap is pretty Brad when you are talking about a place for birds to stay! Looks good to me, I'll be starting one in the near future.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Saw the title and thought you maybe were posting about your wife and I was going to have to delete it before she killed you. But instead a loft that looks pretty nice and if you had taken time to paint it it would look beautiful rather than just practical.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:37 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Saw the title and thought you maybe were posting about your wife andd I goint to have to delete it before she killed you. But instead a loft that looks pretty nice and if you had taken time to paint it it would look beautiful rather than just practical.

Ezzy

Agreed, it looks much much better than mine, paint that rascal and it will last a long time!

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:38 pm

brad27 wrote:she was cheap!

I had a few goals for my first coop:
1. spend as little money as possible
2. spend as little time building as possible
3. spend as little money as possible

It's two roomed, one side for homers, the other for common. I haven't cut in a door for the homers yet. 95% of the wood is scrap/salvaged. chicken wire is salvaged also. I still need to out some kind of roofing material on it, just waiting for something free :mrgreen: Might paint it also if the price is right. Took about 15 hours to build including gathering of used wood. Final price, about $60.

Overall it was a good project and I have some ideas for the next one I'll build.
Nice, but I didn't see where the returning birds could get back in the coop.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:20 pm

hey cheap or free stuff always looks the best to me :D did a good job looks great paint it and like coop said it will last a long time the only suggestion i can make from when i made my first is leave plenty of over hang so that any excess water from your collection will hit the ground and not drip in to the seams of your coop and rot it

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Very nice. How do you get the poo out of it? Mine was built with a wire bottom that had a collection board under it. I took the collection board off every so often, scraped and washed it.

Greg J.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 am

Very nice. How do you get the poo out of it?

Wait, you mean pigeons poop? j/k, the photos don't show it but i have a removable floor made out of stuff that looks like heavy duty cardboard, but is made of plastic/vinyl. Just pull it out, hose it off, and put it back in. I also left .25" gaps in the floor so i could hose it out if need be.
Nice, but I didn't see where the returning birds could get back in the coop.

Coveyrise64
yeah, i haven't cut a return door yet. There are a bunch of pigeons where i live so i'm hoping i can have a steady supply of commons and maybe not even need homers but we'll see. i've already built one trap and am in the process of building a few more.

armand

Post by armand » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 am

nice job on the coop. had one just like it when i raced homers in the nwc a few years back after homers i flew rollers in it as well. :mrgreen: gdluck with it

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 am

actually you did really well, nice job..... 8) that will definitely work out for ya.....