Docking at Home

3Britts

Docking at Home

Post by 3Britts » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:52 pm

So, I finally got tired of paying my vet to dock tails and remove dew claws.
Today, I went out and purchased all of the needed tools, surgical scissors, cat's claw scissors, hemostate and the glue.
Now, all I have to do is make sure that I remember to do what I was taught to do when removing dew claws and docking the tails.
Hopefully, I won't screw it up and make the tails point down and leave any of the dews to grow back.

I'll post pics when I am through.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Docking at Home

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Keep the pups seperated until the glue is truly dry. Good luck.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 pm

I've docked at home and never heard of the glue trick can someone explain it to me I have used a quick clot and Iodine and had excellent results and no problems.

Jenna

Post by Jenna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:59 pm

We dock tails with hemostats and then twisting the tip off. No blood, no mess, very little squeeking from puppy. I'm talking about our smooth fox pups, but docking is docking regardless of the breed. With one of our past litters, we had an issue with a couple of the pups having their tails "nursed on" by their littermates. The tips got bloody and swollen, but were normal again after a couple days of soaking in ep. salt and putting neosporin on it.

With the dews, I've seen it done a couple of ways. My mom has always taken hemostats and quickly "flicks" the dewclaw away, then glues it. With the smooths, we cut them off with scissors, then glue. We have never had a problem with hair not growing over the area, like some people claim will happen by scissoring off the dews.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 pm

I finished about 20 minutes ago. I just lifted the tails up and cut at about 3/4 of the way up the fatter section at the base of the tail. Covers the bum and should give me a good 2.5 to 3 inch tail when fully grown.

I started using the hemostats on the dews but went to the quick flicking after the second one and it went much smoother. Used the super glue to close off afterward.

The pups are doing great and sleeping well. Momma is outside and asking to be let in. I'll give it another 20 minutes and then let her get to her pups.

Thanks for all the advise. I must say a special thanks to Fay Walker for sending me the diagram to follow so that the tail tend to stick up. It really helped.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks for all the advise. I must say a special thanks to Fay Walker for sending me the diagram to follow so that the tail tend to stick up. It really helped.
Is that anything you could share?

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:05 am

If my scanner were working, I would post it. Right now, I will have to wait until I get my knew one. So yes, just as soon as I am able.

High Brass

Post by High Brass » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 am

Can someone please share the info on dew claw removal please.

Thanks

Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 am

I took the hemostats and attached them to the dew claws, making sure to get right up to the joint, and made a quick twisting downard movement that popped the complete claw, with joint, off. Very little blood and it took much less time than attaching the hemostats and cutting with surgical scissors than pulling out the dews at the joint.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 am

Rodney I've always found that a nickel will give you a perfect brittany tail about everytime!!! Just a little trick... compare it to what you did.
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:43 am

The tails came out at 1/2 to 5/8 inch long. That is the size that I have always had my vet dock the tails. The only real problem that I had is when part of the glove wouldn't come away from my finger at the end. All of the pups are doing find this morning and nursing well.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:04 am

twofeathers wrote:
Is that anything you could share?
I have a scan of the instructions and diagrams. Send me your email and I'll send it on.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:10 am

PM sent

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:30 pm

I've done hundreds of pups with a rope burner(sodering iron with a sharp stainless cutting edge).All the pups know is a yip and it's over with, no blood,no gluinig no bleeders no nothing.We mark a hardwood board(maple,oak) and shove the pups but up against it,push the hair towards the butt and snip.The excess skin rolls around the end of the stub and shazam your done.I'm in charge of the tails and my buddy snips the claws off with surgical scissors he gets from his ma,shes a nurse at the hospital.A dab of flour and all good to go.We've done brits,wires,shorthairs,springers