Dog Box

Birdhunter1

Dog Box

Post by Birdhunter1 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:31 pm

I can't find what I want at a price I'm willing to spend onit so I'm gonna build one this summer.
I need a 3 dog unit, if I have room for it I'll build a 4 dog. I may as well since my dad is planning on getting another dog sometime in the nxt year.

Anyway what is an acceptable size? The 2-dog box I have now has a bunch of space in it and it is big enough for two dogs to fit in, problem is it is actually dad's and I have stole it from him (he takes my truck most hunt trips anyway). I'm thinking 24"x30" is enough but should I go more? I know Rocket like to sprawl out in it.

Next question, I don't know if I want it on top of the bed or in the bed. On top woudl be more wind drag and such but it woudl leave the bed open to throw tools, chainsaws and other stuff in (I'm fortunate enough to have a new truck but not fortunate enough to have a dedicated hunting rig, yet). Getting it on and off won't be too big of an issue since I can put a hoist up n the barn to pift it off and hang it from the rafters when I need it off. The 2-dog unit I have now is in the bed and it weighs about 200 lbs. It is getting kind of tiring getting that thing in and out by myself without the hoist.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:30 pm

For a Britt a 24 by 24 is big enough. Or even better a 18 by 30. They should be small ebough that the dog lays down while traveling so it is more secure. Also the only time you would leave the dog in the box for a length of time is when the weather is cold. If it's warm and sunny they should be out on a chain instead of left in a box that might get hot. I have a crate that is 24 by 30 and my two Britts travel in it and are comfortable.

Dogs would rather be in a small space and secure rather than a roomy area when they are moving or sleeping unless it is hot.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:14 pm

The trainer I work with has a 4-dog trailer and I helped fit the floor of each box with a thick rubber mat (commonly used in horse stalls). I'm pretty sure the measurements were somewhere around 27"x34". These boxes have plenty of room, even for a large shorthair or weim.

I'm sure 24"x30" would work fine for Britts.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:23 pm

I may have told you before, but see if you can find a high school student that takes a welding class. Check with the teacher and see who is the best and have him build you one out of Aluminum. Here in Utah I just checked the other day and flat Alum is 115. a sheet Diamond runs about 20 more. For a 2 dog hole box you need 2 sheets. Check to make sure that they have a break so they have little welding and the stregth is better.
With the hardware you are going to run around the 300$ mark......
I have one that can fit 2 dogs in each side and it is an ease to take out of the truck and put back in.

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:27 pm

Be sure to post Pics so we can see how it turned out. I would be interested to see it, and also get some advice. I am no where close to needing one yet but I have high hopes.
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:26 pm

Here is some pics of the one I built. Yes, it is heavy. I put 3 shorthairs in mine. It measures 16"wide x 24"high x 36"long per box. Overall dimensions are 48" x 36" x 24". This is insulated with 1" foam and has removable door covers and vent covers on the side. The box here is not very wide for shorthairs but I don't want my dogs moving aroud when we are driving. They do go into these boxes and whip right around. I was scared of this and built one compartment in there fiirst and tried it to be sure before finishing all of them. One more thing I did not put a bottom in mine. I put in straw in the winter and the summer just a rubber mat. I use tie down straps to hold this in position. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:30 pm

I know a guy that build one out of 3/4 ply wood (OSB). 2 holes both about (guessing here) 24"x48". He can easily put 4 brits in his. If it was me I would fit 6 in that box there was that much room left after he got 2 in each hole but that is making quarters tight for them. I plan on building one just like it only 3 holes.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:40 pm

On a slightly related note, ohiogsp that bed cover you have on your truck is identical to mine. I've found that mine likes to unvelcro itself on the sides when we have high winds (common here in flat Illinois).

Does yours do that? I'm thinking maybe the snow and ice just made the velcro less sticky this winter. I've been keeping it rolled up lately.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:54 pm

If your felt stuff gets ice or snow on it, that does make it not work very good. If there is not anything on it even in the winter mine does hold very well.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:48 am

I have never had a problem with mine either.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:06 pm

Here is a picture of my Diamond plate box I have fabricated for my Truck. Insulated and Stainless Steel on the inside with Lexan door covers when teh Temp. get real low. Works real well for me. I wanted something against my cab so I didn't loose the space in the rear.

Robert
Fieldmaster's Shorthairs
"Selective Breeding at it's Finest"

Selectively Breeding Outstanding
Dual Quality Shorthairs

http://www.fieldmastersshorthairs.com/

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:04 am

Tak i used to be a sheetmeal worker and i can sill get in the shop I use to work in to work on projects liek this once in a while. It'd be a cold day before I'd pay somebody to build it for me.

On another note, I was talking to a guy yesterday at church and he said he had a tig welder. My eyes lit up and once I get back from my honeymoon in about two weeks we're gonna start designing it.