112th running of the National Bird Dog Championship

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: 112th running of the National Bird Dog Championship

Post by ACooper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
ElectricShorthairs wrote:Just out of curiosity, why aren't there any German Shorthairs in this?
Duck and cover.
:D :lol:

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:41 pm

ElectricShorthairs wrote:Just out of curiosity, why aren't there any German Shorthairs in this?
None are qualified. The GSPs - like the Brits - have their own "circuit" which they run through the American Field. They also have their National CH. To run at the National CH at Ames, you must qualify and not many (if any) GSPs run, let alone qualify.

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:45 am

The big dance is winding down. 3 fine dogs with 6 finds apiece with each finishing their 3 hour runs.

I'm thinking Wright and Todd are a bit nervous in the catbird seat.

From this mornings Memphis Commercial Appeal...

Ames competition nearing its end

The dog Gamemaker turned in one of the better runs of the event so far, pointing six quail during Wednesday morning's brace of the National Championship for Field Trialing Bird Dogs at Ames Plantation in Grand Junction, Tenn.

The competition will continue at 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. today.

Barring weather delays or call-backs, an overall champion could be named after today's afternoon round.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:01 am

Erin's Kentucky Gambler & Lester's Tom Cruise are running this morning............ don't count either of these dogs out!

As for GSPs running at Ames, the poster is correct- they first have to qualify. And those Qualifying trials sometimes pull 55-60 dogs for the All-Age (Ames qualifying) stake! I've heard it directly from the mouths of top NGSPA officers "the notion of a true All-Age GSP is quickly fading away- at least when compared to All-Age Pointers".

In all seriousness, the chances of a GSP winning an Ames Qualifying stake are two- little & none. Then, to get to Ames and have to go full bore for 3 hours? A very tall order for a GSP.

BTW, I own a GSP and occasionally "play" with the AF fellas here in New England. Alot of times, I'm the only person there with a GSP. I just started "playing" with the NGSPA folks and of the few All-Age braces I've rode/watched in this venue, there really isn't any comparison to All-Age national circuit Pointers. I've been to Ames a few times just to watch- so that is the basis of the above comparison.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Erin dog scratched and the other was picked up at less than thirty minutes. It's reported that the afternoon brace will be postponed until tomorrow for weather. Dang it. I want a champion announcement.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 am

Heard Ike won it with Touch's Whiteout - Congrats to all.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 am

Congrats to all connections!

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:18 am

Just checked the website for Ames and the winner this year is Touch's Whiteout. That was a very impressive performance from the little bit I know. Congratulations to all who competed. It is some accomplishment to make it to the national championship.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 am

Congratulations to the winners. Guess we shall see how the theory of stock going up on the sire plays out. Father and son champions is a nice touch :) in this day and age.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:05 pm

If I am not mistaken, Touch's Handler Ike is a first year handler?

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:09 pm

ACooper wrote:If I am not mistaken, Touch's Handler Ike is a first year handler?
Its his first year in the National, but he's handled plenty of dogs before. He was part of "The Company", he learned plenty from those boys! Congrats to Ike and the rest of the team.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Little insight to Ike's experience at Ames...Cross post from one of Ike's Montana guys...Congrats again

If you know Ike Todd, you would have any dog he is running on your short list of favorites.

Broke Shell Creek Coin, Broke Lester's Snowwatch-with Ricky Chism, Broke Touch's Whiteout, and if I am not mistaken, has broke, or at a minimum worked 12 of the dogs running in this years natl.

Would be rather impressive if the first one he actually handled himself in the natl wins it.

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Congratulations to Ike, he is truely a good guy. He and Whiteout laid down a very good performance that morning. I was lucky enough to be there, on the best horse I've ever owned, and was right in behind the judges for almost all of that brace. I do wish that I hadn't forgotten my camera at the hotel that morning! :x

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:08 pm

From today's Memphis Commercial Appeal...
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... -whiteout/

Photos from the awards ceremony at the Ames Plantation...
http://amesplantation.zenfolio.com/p222402871

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:51 pm

who are his sire and dam?
just curious about his ped.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:08 pm

I think that information is in this topic, but his sire is 2009 NC Lester's Snowatch.

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I think that information is in this topic, but his sire is 2009 NC Lester's Snowatch.
it is.i must of looked right thru it.
thanks.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:30 pm

I believe this is the first time a father and son have been the NC's.

his imediate ped is Lester's snowatch x Lester's Nat
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:57 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I believe this is the first time a father and son have been the NC's.

I believe that 1999 Ch Whippoorwill Wild Card was the sire of 2008 Ch Whippoorwill Wild Agin, but he might have been the grandsire.

On the GSP quailifying, Ed Huser, who won the NC with a pointer, once had a GSP half qualified, meaning he had one first in a qualifying trial, and I think it was a Championship. Memory is hazy on the details, I just remember it happening, it was a big deal at the time.

We have had some Brittanys win some pointer/setter championships, but mostly shooting dog, the most notable being Rick Smith winning the International SD Endurance Ch when it was 3 hours with Pacollet Cheyenne Sam.

I often forget where my truck is parked, funny what I do remember,

Neil

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Neil wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:I believe this is the first time a father and son have been the NC's.

I believe that 1999 Ch Whippoorwill Wild Card was the sire of 2008 Ch Whippoorwill Wild Agin, but he might have been the grandsire.

Neil
It is grandsire, Wild Agins sire is Whippoorwill Wild Jack

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Neil wrote:

On the GSP quailifying, Ed Huser, who won the NC with a pointer, once had a GSP half qualified, meaning he had one first in a qualifying trial, and I think it was a Championship. Memory is hazy on the details, I just remember it happening, it was a big deal at the time.

We have had some Brittanys win some pointer/setter championships, but mostly shooting dog, the most notable being Rick Smith winning the International SD Endurance Ch when it was 3 hours with Pacollet Cheyenne Sam.

I often forget where my truck is parked, funny what I do remember,

Neil
Neil,
I think the GSP that was halfway qualified was one of Dan Hoke's dogs, I believe it was "NGDC/FC/AFC Dunfur's Joe Obvious (Simon) who won an American Field All Age Championship in Sunnyside WA. Maybe ED Husser had one too though???

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:39 pm

I've judged Simon a few times. He did a lot of winning (your list of titles is too short!) but I never did hear Mike mention that he won a CH. His list of wins on the Dunfur site shows a Runner Up placings at Sunnyside. Maybe it was Simon - if there was a Shorthair to do it he was one that was capable.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Seems like I remember Dunfur's Hoosier LB was half qualified one yr & handled by Dan Hoke but I'm not 100% sure.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Seems like I remember Dunfur's Hoosier LB was half qualified one yr & handled by Dan Hoke but I'm not 100% sure.
All Rusty dogs........in the beginning.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:28 pm

It would probably be safe to say that Ramblin' Witch Hazel owned by Steve Short, a daughter of Dixielands Rusty is the foundation of what has become the Dunfur GSP's.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:37 pm

slistoe wrote:It would probably be safe to say that Ramblin' Witch Hazel owned by Steve Short, a daughter of Dixielands Rusty is the foundation of what has become the Dunfur GSP's.
I'd put that honor on her daughter Dunfur's Morticia and the original linebreeding to Rexx.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27 am

Scampi was an awesome dog as well. Even a great dog can have an off day and when I drew her as a bracemate one time we actually beat her. :D But I will have to defer on her importance as there were some big winners from her uncampaigned sister that produced winners as well and it has always been my impression that Burr Oaks Hoosier Buddy was more influential overall in the program than Rexx.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32 am

Vonrommel wrote:
Neil,
I think the GSP that was halfway qualified was one of Dan Hoke's dogs, I believe it was "NGDC/FC/AFC Dunfur's Joe Obvious (Simon) who won an American Field All Age Championship in Sunnyside WA. Maybe ED Husser had one too though???
Nope; Simon was a gundog. His littermate brother Dunfur's Latest Edition (Hunter) won the Region 10 Amateur All Age championship back in the '01-'02 timeframe. First all age championship won by a GSP in a LONG time, but that stake was not a National Championship qualifier. Doug will have the details as he was there.
Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Seems like I remember Dunfur's Hoosier LB was half qualified one yr & handled by Dan Hoke but I'm not 100% sure.
Nope, see above. LB won a lot, but never won an all-breed AF championship.
slistoe wrote:It would probably be safe to say that Ramblin' Witch Hazel owned by Steve Short, a daughter of Dixielands Rusty is the foundation of what has become the Dunfur GSP's.
Cajun Casey wrote:
I'd put that honor on her daughter Dunfur's Morticia and the original linebreeding to Rexx.
Wrong and wrong.

The foundation of that line was the Chukar Mountain Mort x Ramblin Witch Hazel cross. From that, the line was carried forward by the three sisters from that cross (Immy, Scampi & Anna), all who were bred to Burr Oaks Hoosier Buddy, and each litter produced multiple FCs. The Rexx x Scampi litter was a success in some ways, but a failure in others.

I've never been able to document which GSP Ed won with. I believe it was a California championship but have conflicting reports of which dog.

Now that we cleared that nonsense up, how 'bout we get back to your regularly scheduled thread about the 2011 National Championship?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:57 am

Certainly. Now that the stubtailed wannabe question has been laid to rest, the real issue can be addressed. Would you rather have a Whiteout son or a Snowatch son? :)

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:45 am

Dunfur's Latest Edition (Hunter) won the Region 10 Amateur All Age championship back in the '01-'02 timeframe. First all age championship won by a GSP in a LONG time, but that stake was not a National Championship qualifier. Doug will have the details as he was there.
Actually 2004, maybe 2005. Definitely not a Nat Qualifier although there were several dogs in the stake that were Nat Qualified and had just returned from Grand Jct. to compete with their owners handling - Spectre Sam, Tekoa Mtn. Patriot, Clowers Thunderstrike I know were all in the field and they all ambled around Ames Plantation a time or two. I was braced with Herbie (you'll see his smiling mug in a few pictures from the gallery at Ames every year including this recent edition) handling the RU in the stake, Spectre Sam, and it was a pretty even go by all accounts with a find a piece and neck and neck application - he had the better find, my dog, after a monnnssttter swing thru the country and swinging back across the front, managed a find on a dumb dumb standing in the road!! :lol: :lol: Many thought Queez's GSP Ben had the RU spot for sure - they rocked it. GSP's don't lack the necessary application and bird finding if it's developed - the biggest hindrance to qualifying is of course not participating. The other drawback IMO is by far the majority of GSP folks just plain don't develop their dogs (or themselves to be honest) for that kind of game - to then go out on a whim and try it just ain't likely to work. You gotta manage to start with the right dog flesh (which I've seen plenty of in the GSPs in the past, can't comment on the current) then it has to be the goal from day one just like it is for the rest of the dogs in those stakes they're competing against. I'll be launching a couple in the Nat'l Am Chukar AA in a few weeks and might have my buddy Rich run 'em in the Pac Coast AA (a Nat'l Qualifier) for me while I get back to work. I think Destrie is planning on running his little GSP Comet in the Pac. Coast AA as well. Bout time for a GSP to sneak in for a placement at one of these...slim to none means theres a chance!! :lol: :lol:

Dan has won/placed with stubtails in a good number of open breed AF SD Ch's but don't recall him doing so with LB. My buddy Dennis Pennington went RU a couple times in Am SD Ch's with Brandy, Emmet Burns won the Reg. 9 ASD Ch. a couple years ago with Fly Boy. My hounds have somehow managed 2 open SD Ch's and 2 RU Am. SD Ch's. with me at the wheel (trained by Dan...hmmm :wink: )

Huge congrats to Ike and Co. That is awesome and I'm thinking it might be something we'll be seeing more of in the future. I still picture Ike driving around in a beat up little Toyota/Nissan/rice burner rust bucket with a wood dog box cobbled together in the back, sleeping in his truck. Good peeps those Montanans for sure.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 am

Shorthairs might not run in the Nat'l Ch, but I hear tell they will be running their 2012 NGDC at Ames.....
brenda

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:55 am

To answer one question, I would rather have a Lester's Snowatch pup today than a Touch's Whiteout pup. Snowatch is a national champion and has now produced a national champion. Whiteout is still unproven as a stud but will obviously get a chance to change that. With his consistent outstanding performances in the national and other trials why do we not see more pups from Gamemaker? There are pups everywhere from his half brother Rock Acre Blackhawk, they were both sired by Rock Acre Buckwheat and from females that are shooting dog sired.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:16 am

DGFavor wrote:
Dunfur's Latest Edition (Hunter) won the Region 10 Amateur All Age championship back in the '01-'02 timeframe. First all age championship won by a GSP in a LONG time, but that stake was not a National Championship qualifier. Doug will have the details as he was there.
Actually 2004, maybe 2005.
You're right Doug; it was 2004. Biggest win for a GSP in probably a quarter century, and for the most part the GSP field trial community ignored it. Go figure.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:55 am

Big Dave wrote:To answer one question, I would rather have a Lester's Snowatch pup today than a Touch's Whiteout pup. Snowatch is a national champion and has now produced a national champion. Whiteout is still unproven as a stud but will obviously get a chance to change that. With his consistent outstanding performances in the national and other trials why do we not see more pups from Gamemaker? There are pups everywhere from his half brother Rock Acre Blackhawk, they were both sired by Rock Acre Buckwheat and from females that are shooting dog sired.
Maybe the RAB stigma carries over?

Gamemaker got a lot of attention going in this year. It is unusual not to see him as a sire.

I would also take the Snowatch pup if I was in that market. The couple I've seen have been well put together. They were really good natured dogs, too.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:49 am

Dave I knew you would know,Thanks for giving the low down,like I said I wasn't sure but thought I had read that some where.I think I have mentioned my mind don't work like it used to. :lol:
How about commenting on the Sky High question in General Topics.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Look guys it was in the mid to late 80's and it was Ed Huser that handled the GSP to one qualifying win for the lady that also owned HoF/NC Brush Country Spectre, it is how she got into pointers. Ed spent a ton of her money trying to got the GSP to Ames and convinced her that he could win it with the pointer, and he did in 1994.

I do not think the dog ran much in GSP trials, as he was with Ed on the Major circuit. Now I do not know GSP history well enough to tell you who she is or the dog's name, but I met her and Ed at the time and then saw her in 2001 when Spectre went into the HoF. Next time I am at Blake Kukar's or the BDM I will try to remember to look it up. If it helps I think she told be that she owned another GSP that won its NC.

Neil

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Neil would her name be Mary Finley?? The GSP that she Won A NC was NFC Leipchen Buddendorf.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Neil would her name be Mary Finley?? The GSP that she Won A NC was NFC Leipchen Buddendorf.
Yes, I do believe that is the nice lady's name, now if we can just come up with the dog, it had to have been a special one,

Neil

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Leighton's Ace Mona was the dam of Leipchen but I believe the Hermans owned her,I think Husser handled her though.

desertdog

Post by desertdog » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Congrats to Touch's Whiteout and Ike Todd, info kinda makes me happy and sad! My Abbey past away last fall at a trainer. She was also out of Snowatch and Lester's Nat! My sons female was is also from that breeding. Hunting her this fall was a pleasure. Great genes. Congrats to the white dogs!

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Congrats to the new Champion!

As to the breeding, Lester's Snowatch goes back to Miller's Date Line, Miller's White Powder, and the bottom is Lester's Leeza which is Miraculous and Crow's Little Joe.

Lester's Nat is sired by Chief Honcho's Bo and the dam is Chief Honcho's Sue. Both the sire and dam eventually go back to Chief Honcho

Does anyone know the whelp date for Touch's Whiteout? I own a dog I am running in NSTRA that is the same cross. I am trying to figure out if they are litter mates or just brothers. Thanks. Ted

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:47 pm

After having a look at Wright's website, I'd say they are preparing to build a dynasty. No less than four preparatory grounds and kennels across three states.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:21 am

Glad the thread is back to WhiteOut, he deserves the ink.

I am still hung up on if this is the first father-son NC's. Surely it is not so. What about Miller's True Spirit? Did he not sire any of those many white dogs that ran?

Whatever, it is a great accomplishment for a great team. Although not new to field trials, Keith Wright is fairly new at this level, and Ike Todd has been mostly working for Lester/House, with them getting the credit. This is their first full year together, and we all predicted their success, most including me, did not think it would come this soon!

Keith is a young, hardworking farmer/implement dealer (albeit on a large and successful level), Ike is a hardworking Montana cowboy - they make a fantastic combination. They are nice, humble people, appreciative of those that came before them. Notice I described both as hardworking! They earned it.

Neil

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:25 am

I thought Miller's White Powder was the predominant producer there. I'm not well versed on Miller dogs, though. I have reached the conclusion that most are mostly white. :)

Maybe The Field is trying to sort out the family tree before updating their website. Helloooooooo, Chicago, we have a new National Champion.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50 pm

Neil,
Riggins white knight sired a NC(OR 2 :D ) did he not?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:45 pm

I honestly do not know if Knight did or not, but you would sure think so. I would have thought Miller's True Spirit did too. But I am too lazy to look it all up,

Neil

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:30 pm

I believe knight sired Millers miss knight who won it once and I think he sired another one two millers white cloud. Not sure but I thought another one as well I will try to look it up. True spirit did not as I recall have a very good prodcution record for some reason, at least in all age dogs that I recall.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:55 pm

Neil I checked and the first winner to sire another winner was the Setter Count Gladstone IV winner in 1896, who sired joe comming winner in 1899; lady's count gladstone winner in1900,; and sioux winner in 1901 and 1902.......The first Pointer winner to sire another winner was Commanche Frank winner in 1914 who sired Mary Montrose winner in 1917, 1919 and 1920. Riggins white knight winner in 1968 sired Wrapup winner in 1971; Millers Miss Knight winner in 1973; and Millers white Cloud winner in 1976.

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:17 pm

I just read where Ike and Touch's Whiteout also won the Carroll County (TN) All-Age trial.(for the second year in a row) Seems he's still on a roll!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Vonrommel wrote:I just read where Ike and Touch's Whiteout also won the Carroll County (TN) All-Age trial.(for the second year in a row) Seems he's still on a roll!
Sounds like there is quite a connection between the two. Racehorses get that way with certain jockeys and, frequently, grooms.